PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Converting FAA to CASA

Ozpilot414
5th Jan 2011, 05:58
So I am in the process of converting my FAA ATP to an Australian ATP.

Ive been on the website. I have read the instructions. My first problem is the verifying of the logbook pages medical and passport photos for the ASIC. Can any ole Notary Public in the USA certify them of doe sit have to be done in Australia by a DAME?

Cheers

privateer01
5th Jan 2011, 21:39
Bear in mind I did my conversion in 2009......

First there is a list of people who can sign a declaration.

I believe its on the form if you print it out. In the instruction pages.

If not theres a link to declaration list on the Abode form.

If memory serves a notary can in fact sign that for you.

If it helps here is a link to the declaration form.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/manuals/regulate/misc/form370.pdf

Just to recap:

From CASA : Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Identification and Certifying Documents (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90104)

The person who certifies your identification documents must either;

be a person who is entitled to witness a Commonwealth of Australia Statutory Declaration; or
be a CASA delegate or employee; or
be a CASA appointed Designated Aviation Medical Examiner or Designated Aviation Ophthalmologist;

Bold inserted see the Form 370 link above.

Hope that answers your question

Ozpilot414
6th Jan 2011, 03:51
Thanks so much for the info. But im still unsure if all these people who can sign it have to be Australian or not. I am in the USA and if I have to fly all the way to Australia just to sign some docs...just crazy...or find a local Australian Embassy. If not I can go to the UPS store down town and get my passport photos taken and then Notarized by the Notary Public there.

pcx
6th Jan 2011, 04:37
Seems to me that you can use a CASA approved medical examiner in the US.
If you need a CASA medical than it would be a good idea to do the medical before coming to Australia any way to avoid any potential delays.
A search of the CASA web site will give you a list of approved medical examiners in the US.

Ozpilot414
6th Jan 2011, 06:08
Good Idea. I guess that would be the best bet. But you would think that any Notary Public would be able to do it. I have emailed CASA and as yet have not received a reply telling me if i can or not. Thanks for the idea!

FO Usedalot
6th Jan 2011, 10:23
Conversion lay out , Iv just tried it. :sad: prepare for lack of sleep. Here is the basics and some advise. If you hold an FAA ATP you now need the following.
1. CPL law exam. All exams can only be taken in Australia. :* at ASL testing centers.
2. the ATPL law
3. the IR Exam
4. Multi engine command check ride in a twin piston or other.
( in other words CASA has designated you as private pilot till further notice)

If you good ( and I mean real good ) you could do it in a month cost about $4000 plus what ever in hotels and food.
Don't bother with the medical. You don't need it till you have to fly and your initial CASA medical will cost you about $500 here anyway. you don't need it to take the exams.

Now if your Human its a lot tougher than CASA makes it out be.
The books are huge and require a carry on to take them around. The CAO has no Index ( a big complaint around pilots here doing exams.) No tags are allowed in these books either so unless you are very practiced in finding references to Law with out an index your up against it.

I might be just an idiot but Iv been here 6 months now and still having trouble with the exams. Lots of pilots here fail exams and think nothing of it , they just move on till they pass and CASA won't care so long as you pass in the end.

Each exam is about $160, cost of books $300-$400 if you pass the first CPL law, "priceless". NOT like the FAA at all. there are practice questions available but you won't find any of them in the exams. You may find some that are close but never the same. Iv had people at CASA tell me on the phone that without help from an Australian ground instructor who knows how to read these screwy books, your up against it.

You can PM me if you like and Ill tell you more but don't be fooled, this is very tough. Im happy to share practice exams with you etc and help you learn how to read these door stops they call regulations but Iv given up :ugh: I simply do not understand CASA and my hat is off to anyone who learns to fly here.
Im a broken man now, working in a bar poring pints to other slobs on stools. I failed and no longer fly at all after 20 years in the seat, I can no longer do this but Im happy to share some of the things I do know. Good luck.

privateer01
6th Jan 2011, 20:40
When I did it I used a Notary in the USA.

Not a CASA Medical examiner.

However if you really want a definitive (maybe) answer, ring CLARC on the phone. the number is on the web site.

You'll have to factor in the time difference and all the Aussie Holidays but if you get them on the phone you'll generally get an answer.

I used Skype on the computer.

Ozpilot414
10th Jan 2011, 00:07
Thanks Guys! Well just so happens I need a new Ozzie Passport so going to the embassy to have them do it anyways so hey cant say I didn't try!!

Now for the exams. Have my books and will be heading to Oz in a 6 months to do the CPL law and the ATPL law. And if im good maybe the IREX! we shall see. I have enlisted the help of Ad-Astral in Perth so hopefully they will able to point me in the right direction. Still have to get my C of V crap done but have 6months to prepare! Also have a mate who's a CFI there class 3 and hopefully he will be able to help me out.

Now since i have your attention once I am complete with all these Exams do my CIR on a twin...and become a cool Aussie pilot what jobs are out there. I have read the VB does not like conversions as well as Qantas. I would like to stay in the Perth Area as I have all my family there. In the next couple of years who will be hiring? What are the chances of working in Oz for the rest of my life? I looked at Qlink but they seem to be sneding their work to those quys with the F100 and who is Qantas hook up with to vamp up their West Coast ops?

Cheers

Ozzie Mozzie
10th Jan 2011, 11:45
How do you become a Grade 3 CFI? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif could be wrong but I think that's yank speak and means certified flying instructor

drpixie
11th Jan 2011, 10:42
By starting at the bottom and staying there.

Ozpilot414
12th Jan 2011, 19:15
You are correct a CFI is a certified Flight Instructor

Starting at the bottom and staying there huh? Thanks for that. Very helpful!

Artificial Horizon
12th Jan 2011, 20:34
Gidday,

I did my conversion in July 2009. I used AFT for the theory side of things and Ad Astral for the flying side of things. It is hard work but the exams are acheivable with a bit of work. I self studied for around 3 months using the AFT materials and then had two weeks in Perth in which time I passed CPL LAW, ATPL LAW, IREX exams and completed the IR at Ad Astral. The biggest stress that I found was dealing with CASA and ASL. Make bloody sure all your paperwork is in order before you go to Oz, you need a certificate of validation issued before you can under take the flight test and mine took 6 months to be issued after a couple of lost applications etc. With ASL just beware you can't book all you exams at once, you have to pass the CPL law before the system allows you to even book ATPL Law and you have to pass both law exams before you can book the IREX exam, in Perth there is only one exam centre so it can limit your options. It was probably the most stressful two weeks of my life for a long time but is it possible, you have picked a great training school in Ad Astral, I would recommend AFT for the theory and practice exams with Bob Taits instrument rating study guide for the IREX and allow youself 3 months self study before attempting the exams. Good Luck!!!

fudwinkel
12th Jan 2011, 21:14
My experience is the CASA law exams are relatively straightforward, as is the CPL check ride. The CASA CPL flight check the emphasis was on the cross country flight, quite unlike FAA which is nearly entirely the manoeuvres.

My biggest problem by far was the IR. The exam has always had a very high failure rate and FO usedalot is not the only one who has taken a long time to get through that. I struggled through the IREX long ago (only aviation exam I have ever failed - didnt take seriously the warnings how tough it was) and was pretty current on instruments but found the MECIR flight check very different and very expensive.

If you are used to carrying around your $15 copy of the FARS and a Gleim for study and checkrides then carting around a suitcase full of CASA regulations (and paying to keep it all current) takes a fair bit of adjustment.