PDA

View Full Version : EU Law to ban Airline Seniority List

Streamline
4th Jun 2001, 17:08
In the aftermath of the labour dispute between the European Labour courts and the European football league regarding transfers of football player's there now seems to be an issue around Seniority lists.

Anybody aware of the legal foundations of Seniority in the free European market ??

dallas dude
4th Jun 2001, 17:24
If I were an airline Exec (no, not you Guv) I'd be jumping up and down if this ever came to pass.

Instead of knowing your pilots' group has to start at the BOTTOM if they leave and go to a competing carrier, with the resultant start over in pay/quality of life etc. etc., if pilots could jump in (say) halfway up a list they might be MORE INCLINED TO VOTE WITH THEIR FEET!

There would probably be open warfare in the pilot ranks too, from folks that continually are passed over by "new hires".

What a can of worms that would be...

dd

tilii
4th Jun 2001, 23:36
Rather sneaky of you, Streamline, to use a headline that purports to inform us of some new development in EU legislation, and to plagiarise a large part of another's headline, merely to enquire of us all whether we know of such a development.

I know this is a rumours and news forum but I respectfully suggest that this is taking it just a tad too far. ;)

me-judice
4th Jun 2001, 23:47
Streamline: European Labour courts (sic) do not exist. Employment issues, together will all other EU matters, are dealt with by the ECJ in Luxemburg. The Bosman case to which you refer concerned a narrow exception to the rule banning discrimination on the grounds of nationality where national sports teams were concerned (football, in Bosman’s case). This has no conceivable relevance to any aspect of the airline industry.
I know of no disputes concerning the airline seniority system at present. I have no doubt that the industry seniority system will be challenged at some stage in the future, but the challenge will (in my opinion) be based on sex discrimination principles, rather than on those of nationality. Systems where the level of remuneration and/or promotion are based upon length of service have been the subject of challenges before the ECJ in the past. I see no reason why ours should be any different.