PDA

View Full Version : Entry into the USA

Wyler
3rd Jan 2011, 14:13
I was refused entry into the USA in 2005 (from Canada) because my British passport did not have a bar code. I was, however, immediately given a waiver and allowed through. I am thinking of going back so have some questions:

Will I have to declare that I was initially denied entry even though they let me in on a waiver?

Will the fact that I have been technically refused entry stop me getting in again? (the paperweork they issued me with seemed pretty strong in it's language)

I only ask as you hear some weird atories of problems due to the heightened security. (I now have a passport with bar code)

Your thoughts much appreciated.

Bealzebub
3rd Jan 2011, 14:42
As we all of these matters, it will very much depend on the paperwork that was submitted at the time. Were you given a copy of a submitted form? (I-877.)

If the answer is yes then you are almost certainly inelible to travel on a visa waiver, and would need to apply to the US embassy consular section for a Visa. The fact that they issued you with a waiver (was it a visa waiver?) at the time of the incident might suggest the initial refusal was not formalized, but that is something you would need to check.

If you logon to the US embassy (london) website, you can follow a question based section on waiver eligibility that indicates whether you are likely to need a visa or not. The answer most relevant to your question is:

Previously Denied Entry to the United States

You are not eligible to travel on the Visa Waiver Program, and must possess a valid visa for entry into the United States. Applicants applying for visas in London are required to schedule an appointment with the Visa Coordination Officer to allow sufficient time for their case to be reviewed, as their application will be subject to greater scrutiny.

If you were given a copy of the report of the incident, Form I-877, by U.S. immigration, you should bring this with you to the visa interview. Note: If you were not provided with copies of these forms at the time you were denied entry into the United States, you should contact the USCIS. You will need to send a signed request in writing, along with a copy of the photo page of your passport. They cannot respond to phone or email requests for this information.

US Citizenship & Immigration Service, National Records Center, FOIA/PA Office
P. O. Box 648010
Lee's Summit, MO 64064-8010
Phone: (816) 350-5570
Fax: (816) 350-5785
E-mail: [email protected]

If they do not have a copy, please contact the port where you were denied entry directly.

Hope this helps.

Hotel Tango
3rd Jan 2011, 14:58
Wyler, I would suggest that you try and speak directly to someone in the know at the US Embassy. My interpretation of your story is that you were NOT denied entry in the formal sense. The fact is that entry was in fact granted on the day in question.