PDA

View Full Version : NY's resolution

PumpZeThrottle
3rd Jan 2011, 02:26
G'day all,

I'd like to wish all you aviators and aviation-enthousiasts a Happy NY.
I'm starting the NY with the desire to make a move and thought I'd ask for some advice, since many of you have most probably been in my socks before.

Currently residing in WA, been here a little while now and working for a GA outfit. Great place to be, top blokes but unfortunately no more progression possible for me there.

I'm exiting the 20s this year and I'm getting the feeling it's about time I find myself a more stable outfit, one with whom I might even contemplate retiring with. Perhaps it's all to soon to say, but when you haven't been receiving a fixed wage for a while, has to work weekends to make ends meet, that prospect really looks attractive.

I've heard about things starting to move in WA, new businesses coming around etc etc But I was hearing that 2 years ago too.

In the logbook:
3000hrs TT (all piston)
ATPL
MECIR > 3 renewals
IR with 0 restrictions
> 500hrs ME-C

I'd appreciate any advice-contacts-links or just a plain opinion.

Cheers for the inputs.

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Jan 2011, 04:38
Your experience meets the requirements for most regional airlines.

I don't know where Rex is with their Direct (non-cadet) recruitment, but Aeropelican have a ground school this month and will be recruiting again shortly for another ground school.

Good luck.

PumpZeThrottle
3rd Jan 2011, 10:11
Thanks for the insight Horatio Leafblower.

Yes, I know I meet the regionals reqs. but they are all only accepting expression of interests.

Thanks for the insight.

Hopefully I get to hear more opinions soon.

PzT

morno
3rd Jan 2011, 10:26
Well you can't get a job unless you register an expression of interest, :hmm:

PumpZeThrottle
3rd Jan 2011, 11:09
I have morno. Sure have. But instead of waiting around and logging piston time I'm wondering if I should go to one to those 3rd world countries in the hope to getting some turboprop time. That will perhaps make an application heavier against mere piston time?

halas
3rd Jan 2011, 11:20
Like New Zealand? :}

halas

Mr.Buzzy
3rd Jan 2011, 18:09
Or WA?

Bbbzzbzbzbzzzzzzz

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Jan 2011, 19:55
Gee glad I could help :rolleyes:

grrowler
3rd Jan 2011, 21:02
First you say you want to move to an operator you might retire with, then you say you are looking for some 3rd world turbine time so you can get into an airline?

I'm not really sure which it is, but with 3000 hours you would have a fair idea of operators that would give you what you are looking for. A very brief search turned up 3 non type rated turbine jobs in the last month.

Jamair
4th Jan 2011, 00:36
You getting any float time morno......:}

With those hours and if you are serious about a long-term committment, you could have a chat with RFDS west ops......

morno
4th Jan 2011, 05:00
Have considered throwing a pair of floats on the King Air Jamair, :E.

PumpZeThrottle
4th Jan 2011, 09:26
The bigger operators here in WA mainly fly turboprops and the inside word is without any turboprop time, one doesn't stand much a chance. I'm sure there're the odd cases but not everyone has got good contacts.

Grrowler, I'd love to hear about those operators you mentioned. Thanks for the keen opinion anyway.

PzT

training wheels
4th Jan 2011, 15:40
I'm currently working in one of those 'third world countries' you refer to, and there are lots of expat pilots just recently recruited from many countries to fly turbo-props. The trend however is to recruit low timers (most guys/girls have around 300 to 500 hours, a handful have in-excess of 1000 hours). I guess they prefer low timers because they know low timers are there for the hours and therefore will not leave in a hurry. Just giving you a heads up if you decide to apply to third world countries thinking that you may be a certainty with 3000 hours ... they can, and have been choosy in who they recruit.