PDA

View Full Version : Factor V Leiden deficiency

Speedbird777
2nd Jan 2011, 23:33
If you suffer from factor V leiden deficiency, does this preclude you from gaining a class 1 medical?

Thanks

Broomstick
3rd Jan 2011, 17:48
One possesses Factor V Leiden rather than having a deficiency of it. If you are heterozygous for Factor V Leiden, like around 5% of people and have not had a DVT or PE, this mutation has very little impact on your health in general. Like anyone, you should take the normal sensible precautions to prevent venous thromboses, including reversing other risk factors such as smoking and excessive body weight. It is also worth noting that over the age of 40, age related thrombosis risk outweighs inherited risk.

There is a great lack of understanding of inherited thrombophilia within the medical profession at large, and your AME may require a haematology opinion prior to clearing you. However, I cannot see any reason that this (in the absence of a history of venous thrombosis) would impact on your medical. Within the haematology fraternity there is a move away from testing for inherited thrombophilia outside individuals directly affected by thrombosis and in obstetrics.

I hope that helps!

cloudancr
12th Mar 2011, 14:35
1st timer here. I have a DVT which developed into a PE. It happened on an all night flight from Hawaii last Oct. I found out that I have Factor V Leiden and also resistant to coumadin. I have been giving myself daily injections of arixtra for 4 months. Next month I will find out what meds. I will have to be on for life and if I will be able to get my 1st class back. I am 56 and had enough fun (ha) with the airlines, so maybe a medical retirement.

Rick1982
12th Mar 2011, 22:02
Try sepaking to an AME called Dr Wray. He is based towards LPL but does cover most of the north west. I have a similar haematology issue (missing factor IX) and this rules me medically unfit for a CAA Class 2:{. Dr Wray is very good as he used to deal specifically with Haematology. Im sure you can find his number on the CAA website. Give him call and he'll give you some honest advice.