PDA

View Full Version : Silent German Helicopters?

donnlass
31st Dec 2010, 18:10
This is probably highly unlikely but a friend of mine told me that he and his wife were sunbathing on a Welsh beach and he happened to lok up and saw a helicopter hovering at a distance above his head.

They had not heard it approach and he said all he heard was the whisper of its rotors going round. As soon as he looked up the helicopter turned and flew away.

He said the helicopter had German markings on it.

Is there a version of a "quiet" helo around and could the crew have just decided to see how long they could hover undetected?

Hell Man
31st Dec 2010, 18:51
Was this by any chance a beach party? Were drugs available?

donnlass
31st Dec 2010, 18:54
No it was a middle aged couple, as middle road as you can get.

eivissa
31st Dec 2010, 19:01
It doesn't end up as quiet as your mate described it, but it goes in the right direction...

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/417270-blue-edge-rotor-blade-eurocopter.html

9Aplus
31st Dec 2010, 19:03
yep, yep
2t3uCDJhce8
9CvVlLIfqHU

donnlass
31st Dec 2010, 19:22
Thanx lots eivissa and A9 for your info. Im sure reasonable quiet helos would be need for cities etc and we may have had a German crew with a sense of humour there.

Thanx again:ok::ok:

Hilico
31st Dec 2010, 20:49
Must say, I haven't heard anything.

helihub
31st Dec 2010, 21:23
Must say, I haven't heard anything.

Hilico, haha, did you SEE anything, though?

I sniffed a rat as soon as sunbathing in Wales was mentioned - even if it didn't happen in December and donnlass has just been very slow reporting this important incident :) New South Wales, perhaps?

FairWeatherFlyer
5th Jan 2011, 18:47
A gazelle with whisper mode?

toptobottom
5th Jan 2011, 19:11
What do 'German markings' look like from below a hovering helicopter?! :confused:

And by the way, it's been between -8 and -14 in Wales for the last few weeks!!

matt82
5th Jan 2011, 20:37
There are some rumors on the air that EC presents a replacement for the current AS365N (EC155) series on the coming Heli Expo. The ship was described as an extremely quiet helicopter. Probably you had seen a prototype of this new type?