PDA

View Full Version : GA Flying around Sydney

JamesTigris
31st Dec 2010, 17:00
I am a UK pilot looking to get my licence validated for flying in Australia during my 4 week holiday in April.

Assuming I make it through the difficult administrative process (which I am starting now), where can I fly to if I hire, for example, a 152 out of Bankstown for 2 or 3 days? I am keen to use it as a chance to explore some of the country other than the cities and beaches.

Can I throw a tent in the back and head off to some more remote airfields for hiking/camping? Or am I likely to get eaten/bitten/burnedtoacrisp that way? What is within range of Sydney on a round trip of a few days?

All good ideas welcome, as would be any company from anyone who is looking to do some GA flying in the area around the same time.

KRUSTY 34
31st Dec 2010, 19:57
Merimbula south coast of NSW. Camping and motels close to Airport. Spectacular scenery, Avgas available. brilliant on a nice day, but check the weather (4 day forcast).

Not sure about aircraft hire, been too many years, but you're bound to find something at either Bankstown or Camden.

Enjoy! :)

On Track
31st Dec 2010, 21:33
Hi James.

Sunburn should not be an issue in April unless you are very pale, and I wouldn't worry about spiders or snakes. You probably won't see any.

The coastal scenery north and south of Sydney is beautiful -- some of the best beaches in the world -- but if you want a uniquely Australian experience you'll need to head west and I recommend that you include some inland flying in your travels.

You may wish to allow yourself more time and also consider something a little faster than a C152 if you have the resources.

Send me a private message if you have other questions. There's a slight possibility that I could accompany you around that time.

Jack Ranga
31st Dec 2010, 23:10
Mate,

I'd be steering clear of Bankstown, you'll get ripped off, they'll want you to 'checkout' on Bankstown's Class D procedures before they let you loose. Go to Camden, still Class D but more reputable and less of a ripoff. See if you can find a school in places like Bathurst (you can hop a train from Sydney, or hire a car, about a two hour drive) or Dubbo, that way you are already in the middle of where you want to go if you want to see bush. (:E)

As the other fellas say, the coastal towns of NSW both north and south of Sydney are beautiful

rjtjrt
31st Dec 2010, 23:12
The coastal scenery from the north (Moruya) down to Merrimbula and Eden is superb. One of the memorable flights to do.
An absolute joy to fly. And easy - fuel and civilization along the coast plus great beaches (weather is generally good but not always).
John

Kerr79
1st Jan 2011, 09:27
Even in April, a pom is likely to get burnt to a crisp!

SaltAsh
1st Jan 2011, 10:28
Or to the north of Sydney Warnervale is not a bad choice.

Skynews
1st Jan 2011, 20:13
Warner vale is OK if you want a vintage C150. 1963 models.:ok:

At 75kts you will need more than a few days to fly p the hunter valley.

JamesTigris
2nd Jan 2011, 10:18
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll check out all the suggestions. Enjoy your new year...