PDA

View Full Version : Radio-com failure when on radar vector

Ondrej
2nd Feb 2001, 20:53
Can you guys flying up there answer this question ? When you will receive something like this "XYZ 123 due traffic turn right heading 360", and then your magic radio will go silent forever.... HOW LONG THEN WILL YOU STAY ON THIS HEADING ? Is it officially laid down somewhere? I know that some funny ICAO brochures like 4444 says about RCF in IMC that you have to maintain last assigned LEVEL and SPEED for 20 (3) minutes, the proceed according to the flight plan.... but there is nothing about unlimited radar vector... my ATC instructors dont know.... I've asked some pilots, but the answer was always like that.... "ummmm....dunno.... 've never experienced that.....maybe... I would go back to the airway centerline...but...dunno".... That is of course nice, mainly if going back to the centerline causes wonderful mid-air...
And you, controllers....are you giving always limited vectors like "continue that heading at least X minutes" "or after passing FL 280 resume own nav direct..." ??
Can you tell me what the procedures are in your countries ?

quid
3rd Feb 2001, 11:13
In the US, it's pretty straight forward. Squawk 7600. If VMC, land as soon as practicable. If IMC, go back to the route filed or told to expect. If anytime you become VMC, stay VMC and land as soon as practicable.

The *real world* answer is to get you out of the controlled airspace as soon as possible. Don't worry about the route too much, ATC will vector traffic out of your way.

Full details in the AIM Chap. 6.

berley_boy
3rd Feb 2001, 11:43
In Australia the procedure is slightly different. Quote straight out of Jepps;

If Being Radar Vectored-

Maintain last assigned vector for two minutes; and

Climb if necessary to minimum safe altitude, to maintain terrain clearance; then

proceed in accordance with the latest ATC route clearance acknowledged.

Hope that helps Ondrej. Cheers.