PDA

View Full Version : Who am I?

gazfaz
30th Dec 2010, 09:35
Can you guess the tour operator? Is it just me?

Christmas holiday package booked 12 months ago to Orlando and paid up fully on time...

Attempted to check in using 'advanced' on line service numerous times during 24hrs prior to flight - Computer says no.

Used check in machine at airport, after entering all details spat us out and advised us to seek out advisor. Advisor made a telephone call to get us seats allocated. Returned to machine to complete check-in.

Seats allocated for the four of us (me, wife and two daughters 16 & 21)? One alone on one row and three together on another. (I prefer a window seat so wasn't too bothered).

On board entertainment system was broken (third time we have had problems in past three flights from Manchester). I believe I pay a premium with this particular company for the quality of the flights. I could see many people grumbling to the crew about it so didn't personally add to the cacophony of moaning but eventually, several hours into the flight an announcement was made by the head honcho who apologised and assured people that crew would be coming around with a 'letter' which had details and the address of who to complain to following the flight. I don't know if they did bring these letters around but if they did neither I nor any of my family got one. Spent 8 hours staring at the headrest of the seat in front, not a happy bunny. Luckily I had my trusty Mp3 player.

Arrived at Hotel. I'd booked two doubles. We were handed two keys without any explanation, as I walked away from reception I noted one room was on the 2nd. the other on the 9th. I returned to reception to be informed that was the closest they could get us together, however they would move us the next day. Accepted this and we didn't unpack as we'd be moving again.

Next day same story, hotel full, promised to move us the next day.

Third day same story, promised to move us next day. By this time the girls were tired of living out of suitcases but had got used to getting up in the mornings and getting the lift 5 floors to share straighteners etc so we decided to unpack and stay put. All other in-hotel communications between the family for the 10 days carried out by internal phone which at least was free.

Return flight, last two window seats on port side at rear of aircraft and two in middle a row one behind those. My initial joy at the thought of being able to recline the window seats without bothering anybody behind me was very short lived. There was a exit door directly behind these seats. Some sadist in his/her glee must have decided that an extra two seats could be squeezed just in front of the door. I have never felt so squashed on any flight ever. To add to the torture the two old bints in front immediately reclined their seats. I got up once during the flight to have a pee. I nearly launched one of the old bints into the seat ahead when I squeezed out. On returning to avoid disturbing her again I found it easier to walk on the seats and then drop back ito place. My knees are still sore after the experience a day later.

The entertainment system worked great showing adverts and a personal message from some dick with a beard but then went blank. It took me 10 minutes to (a) disjoint my thumb and blindly press buttons on the control which was set into the side of the armrest and (b) to discover that after showing earlier referred to dick the system had reset itself to 'music.' By the time I got video back on all the films had well started. I do not like missing the start of a film. Tried several other channels to find several had also started and others were also not working. Spent 8 hours staring at the front of a blurred headrest (blurred because it was out of my focal range being too close - I think it's an age thing).

I have realised that the three flights we've had problems with the TV were all from Manchester. We flew from Heathrow in the summer and also last year with the same company. The aircraft were much newer/smarter and the 'entertainment' system was much more usable. Films were on demand rather than having to set an alarm or wait for all films to end before you could watch one from the start.

Why when I book a package holiday twelve months in advance are my seats not allocated until the moment I arrive to travel at the airport?

Why when I book a package holiday twelve months in advance are my two hotel rooms 5 floors apart?

Why does it seem that the newer aircraft reserved for Heathrow?

One question I will not need help with is will I ever book with this company again? After twelve years of using the same company I will be using t'internet next year.

I would like to sentence the bearded dick to sit for eight hours+ in the same seats I and my wife sat in staring at the rear of my headrest whilst I sit two inches in front of him in a reclined lazyboy chair watching films.

Skipness One Echo
30th Dec 2010, 11:26
Virgin's seat allocation is a joke, the seat I choose at online check is often changed to accomodate others by the time I get to the airport. I was shocked as I have never had this with numerous airlines but it is common proactice at VS. Also although the LGW / MAN B747-400 "beach fleet" is relatively young in aircraft terms, the IFE is unloved and the interiors worn out. Numerous threads on SKYTRAX correlate this.

Why does it seem that the newer aircraft reserved for Heathrow?
They generate more profit up front so mam and the kids to Disney get an older product with frankly pretty high fares.