PDA

View Full Version : EK education allowance changed?

Comanche
29th Dec 2010, 21:43
This should be an easy one for EK pilots to answer: The website shows this:

Education Support Allowance:
Financial support towards the payment of core tuition fees is provided to both First Officer and Captains. It is intended as a contribution towards the overall expenses the employee may incur for their children’s education.

Have they recently changed this as I thought it used to be 90% or up to a maximum fixed amount? Does this usually cover the basic tuition fees (provided you don't send your kids to the allegedly expensive US schools). It sounds from the above they will just provide you with some money as a gesture, leaving you to pick up most of the bill.

Still thinking of perhaps putting in an application, although it really seems the T&C have changed for the worse in recent years. The high quality schools, staff travel, the villas and wide body long haul does sound attractive though after doing 500 sectors a years with a LCC.

ManaAdaSystem
29th Dec 2010, 22:05
allegedly expensive US schools

Last time I checked, the American School of Dubai charged roughly twice as much as the other schools.
House rent has come down a lot in Dubai. I don't see the need to opt for a Villa. A lot of Villas are just linked houses, and a nice apartment in a nice location, with pool and other facilities, is a very good alternative.

kingpost
30th Dec 2010, 05:53
The educational allowance provides you with 90% of about 27000k, not sure what it is for high schools. It's a great deal, but the allowance has not changed in the past 3 years and school fees have gone up over 12-20% per year!!!

If it's your 500 LCC sectors that worry you, think about 380-400 sectors, half of which will be at the back of the clock - you'll be jumping from the frying pan into the fire, don't do it to move from one LCC to another.

Good luck with your decision & Merry Xmas

Britain forms plan for Gulf evacuation in event of war with Iran - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/dubai/8228244/Britain-forms-plan-for-Gulf-evacuation-in-event-of-war-with-Iran.html)

Comanche
30th Dec 2010, 20:27
Thanks. However, it that 27000 per child? Also, just looking at for example the Dubai British school, it could cost up to AED 40.000 per year.

So, if I'd move out there before summer 2011, which schools say close to Silicon Valley or other likely EK accommodation spot would likely still have vacancies for 2011-2012 and are affordable?

Many thanks to all contributing.

ManaAdaSystem
30th Dec 2010, 22:42
You would have to get in line for most schools, however, The American School of Dubai have just relocated/expanded (400 more seats?). They cost around 6000 pr month last I checked. Do a search if you are interested.

Others should be able to help you on different schools. IF they can get past the "don't come here" part of their vocabulary.

Schnowzer
31st Dec 2010, 04:11
Kids been in a British school for 10 years+, used to pay a few k per year now it is costing me about 2k/month. The allowances have never covered the costs fully but right now it is beginning to hurt and if you want your kids to go to a US school it would be seriously painful. The EK housing allowance is way under the market rate, SERCO pay the ATC guys 50% more including their utilities. Yeah you can get a nice appartment but isn't the point of coming to get a better QOL?

But why not clarify, write to HR and find out the number for the allowance, for a brit school near Silicon try DESC:

DESC Fees (http://www.descdubai.com/fees/fees.html)

Comanche
31st Dec 2010, 17:13
What is DEWA?

Also received some conflicting info on staff travel with kids. Apparently, kids not allowed J class, so does this mean that if Y class is full, you won't get on with the family even if there are empty seats in J or F? Would they not bump up revenue passengers instead? Guess would have to go on BA instead as they DO provide business seats of no economy available.

crazy_bird
31st Dec 2010, 17:18
DEWA = Dubai Electricity and Water Authority.