PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 430W - heli routes

Jon181082
29th Dec 2010, 13:25
Hi,

Does anyone know how or if I can load heli routes into my Garmin 430?

Is it possble to load them as a procedure or would it have to be set up manually to follow a series of WPTs?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Jon

RVDT
29th Dec 2010, 13:55
Make the WP's as per the manual here (http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/2105_PilotsGuideandReference.pdf) read page 131 "Creating user waypoints"

Create a Flight Plan as per page 69 with the User waypoints in the correct order.

Name the flight plan according to the direction it is used and when you want to go back the other direction "Invert flight plan" is the option.

RTFM easy peasy!

ShyTorque
29th Dec 2010, 16:06
Easy enough to make a flight plan and save it, agreed. But straight lines between waypoints are not much good for the London heli-routes.

I think another "layer" is needed to correctly display them. I'm not sure if this is possible for the 430/530.

ReverseFlight
29th Dec 2010, 16:10
Is it possble to load them as a procedure

Read page 83 onwards. The PROC button on the GNS430 will automatically give you published approaches providing you have previously subscribed for and downloaded the updated waypoint and approach database (Jeppesen). This paid-for database will also enable you to choose published IFR waypoints instead of having to create your own every time.

29th Dec 2010, 16:23
Or just use a map:)

ShyTorque
29th Dec 2010, 16:34
I think the OP means a method of showing VFR heliroutes, such as the mandatory routes published for the London CTA.

I use a 530/430 combination on every flight and haven't found a way of doing this. This nav kit, although with its advantages, is not really up to displaying the level of detail required. I do put in waypoints (some published, some my own) as they are of some use, especially at night, in marginal weather. And of course, when the pax wants to land in someone's back garden.

So I still use a chart, or a map, like Crab suggests (as he obviously has to do for his antique helicopter).

EN48
29th Dec 2010, 17:27
(as he obviously has to do for his antique helicopter).

The 530W is also an antique by today's avionics standards. Way past due for a major upgrade. Been around since 2000 in the form of the 530 and before that as the 430. Had a Chelton FMS in my previous helicopter, and now a 530W in a B407 and the 530 seems primitive by comparison.

RVDT
29th Dec 2010, 17:32
The 530/430 may be antique but at least it is IFR certified (in some counties anyway)

ShyTorque
29th Dec 2010, 17:33
I concur, the average child could draw a better map display! ;)

RVDT
29th Dec 2010, 17:36
Also they are an "aid to navigation" as in NAVAID. You would have planned everything and have the necessary charts on hand. ;)

RVDT
29th Dec 2010, 17:43
No defense as I use a 530/430 combo as well. They are not moving map systems! To be approved IFR I am sure that there is only so much "clutter" that you are allowed.

Granted they are old. (430 came out in 1997?) If you want whizz bang buy a later product like the G500 Synthetic Vision.

ShyTorque
29th Dec 2010, 18:06
Also they are an "aid to navigation" as in NAVAID. You would have planned everything and have the necessary charts on hand.

Of course, I have all the necessary lines on my chart and a huge wadge of planning paperwork in the cockpit (obviously, I do all my planning on my days off or I delay take off for a couple of hours if something changes on the day). I turn the brightness right down when flying along the edge of controlled airspace, so I'm not tempted to look at the display, to make it more difficult for myself, like a proper pilot always should.

In fact I'm hoping to go back to analogue instruments later this year so I can keep myself on my toes. As for TCAS, I'm not going to ever take notice of that. This modern stuff makes us all soft. :hmm:

EN48
29th Dec 2010, 19:35
If you want whizz bang buy a later product like the G500 Synthetic Vision.

Well .... not so fast there. I have the G500H with SVT in my B407 as well, but guess what? It still requires a G530 or G430 as the GPS navigator. G500 is pretty much a dumb display - no real inherrent navigation capability. Beautiful images on the G500H but same old klunky G530 user interface and limited functionality.

As for using charts in a single pilot helicopter, except for prefolded and marked charts, not the best idea IMHO.

but at least it is IFR certified

Great if you are flying an IFR certified helicopter, but not so useful otherwise.

heliski22
29th Dec 2010, 20:20
Spot on, Shy T - had a chuckle at that!!

Hughes500
29th Dec 2010, 20:37
Plug a skymap 3 in the fag lighter socket, the satnav maybe well old but has the helilanes on it.

John R81
30th Dec 2010, 17:52
Or my Flymap which has the CAA heli route chart loaded.