PDA

View Full Version : Achilles Tendon

homesick rae
29th Dec 2010, 12:20
Hi All,

Woke up this morning with an achilles tendon problem and have no idea why/ how it happened!?

Extremely painful and difficult to walk - just been resting/ elevated this am with Ibobrufen gel and strapped it up.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

HR

beany
29th Dec 2010, 16:06
Hi,

Definitely achilles? Where's the pain? Was it there before you put your weight through it? Do you do any sports? Have you changed your footwear recently etc?

B

Lancelot37
29th Dec 2010, 16:52
Doubt that it's a possibility that it's snapped. You'd know it if it had as it is one of the most painful experiences possible I was told after I snapped mine.

The doc had been giving me painkillers and gel before it snapped. 14 weeks later I was having physio and was told that if I'd been referred to them they would have given me exercises which would have prevented a break most likely.

Does the pain ease when you point your toes away from you? A sure sign that it is strained.

homesick rae
30th Dec 2010, 08:00
Beany, there is one point on the tendon which is very painful - just assuming really - pain just by "knuckle" bone on ankle too - the soft part.

Lancelot - there is a small 1cm "lump" - although this is soft and fleshy - at the point where it hurts - looks like a whiteish line.

Hope this helps - damned annoying!

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

HR

Lancelot37
30th Dec 2010, 09:13
The doc checked mine and the hospital did the same by asking me to kneel on a chair facing the wall. They used a clenched hand and gripped my leg and simply said "It's snapped."

About 10 weeks in plaster, followed by weeks of physio, and I lost so much muscle weight that one leg is still thinner than the other 10 years later. I'll never forget the date 12th Dec 2000. I retired that day!

If your walking on it it not snapped, but seek advice and physio now before it does go..

gingernut
30th Dec 2010, 13:50
Hmmmm....I wonder if you've got a ganglion, and/or tendonitis.

In the first instance rest, a bit of ice (careful), elevation, compression. We shouldn't give specific advice about medication on here, but your pharmacist may tell you its ok to take paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Go and see the doc for a definative diagnosis.:)

beany
30th Dec 2010, 17:45
If I were you I would get it checked. Achilles tendonitis can be extremely painful, as can achillies tendon rupture or partial rupture.

Treatment of a rupture or partial rupture will be keeping you non weight bearing in the first instance and this is why it's important you get it checked. Walking on a ruptured tendon will (apart from being terribly painful) harm the healing process and if it's partially ruptured it can make the tear worse.

I would recommend you see someone, have your leg examined and then, if a tear is suspected, an ultra sound scan (or MR if needed) will give a better picture of what's going on.

You have my sympathy! Let us know how you get on.

B

Echo Romeo
31st Dec 2010, 15:44
Ah yes, the Achilles, I recall snapping mine, I'd had no previous problems, then started playing five a side football without doing any warm up, I just pushed off into a sprint, and thwack, like a tennis racket hitting a ball, several people heard it go, I felt a short sharpe pain and that was it really.

Had it surgically repaired and it's as right as rain now, though the tendon feels nearly twice the size of the other one, and my calf muscle has shrunk.

homesick rae
31st Dec 2010, 16:34
Thanks all - I have torn my ankle ligaments and have been given a brace, crutches and 2 sets of painkillers, Coadamol and Dicloflenac. One week off work and review then - possibility of 6 weeks to heal properly. Achilles in tact, no gaps, slight puffiness.

Happy New Year all.

Cheers

HR

beany
1st Jan 2011, 22:16
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. It's certainly good news that achilles intact though!

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

Happy New Year!

B:)

homesick rae
2nd Jan 2011, 10:17
Beany,

Many thanks and to you too!

Bearing up well enough - hopefully will be up and about soon enough.

Cheers

HR