PDA

View Full Version : Can I claim a medical through health insurance?

Bounceferret
29th Dec 2010, 06:04
Pretty self-explanatory question, sorry if this has come a before.... a brief search yielded nothing.

So... can I claim the cost of my medical (approx $180) through my health insurer?

Arnold E
29th Dec 2010, 06:29
In short .......No

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Dec 2010, 08:52
But, if you're commercial and it is a 'necessary expense' in the earning of your income.....

Claim on your tax.....But pls check with your accountant first.....
(No liability here mate....):ok::ok:

mustafagander
29th Dec 2010, 09:28
If your AvMed should turn up anything requiring further investigation however, say a stress ECG because of the points, I am reliably informed that this is claimable. The reasoning is that it is a "further investigation" of a medical condition and not merely to obtain a medical certification.

At least that's what my accountant tells me.

As always, seek your own advice and don't rely on me.

esreverlluf
29th Dec 2010, 09:38
Furthermore, and particularly if your DAME is also your GP, then things like blood tests (cholesterol etc), and possibly ecg's and audiograms (depending on circumstances and relationship with medical practitioner) may also be claimable against either medicare or private medical insurance.

Peter Fanelli
29th Dec 2010, 09:41
Furthermore, and particularly if your DAME is also your GP, then things like blood tests (cholesterol etc), and possibly ecg's and audiograms (depending on circumstances and relationship with medical practitioner) may also be claimable against either medicare or private medical insurance.

But only an idiot would have their aviation medical examiner as their GP.

apache
29th Dec 2010, 11:47
depends how they write the receipt!

if they write "annual check up" then it should be fine.
IF they write "CPL medical exam" then... no!

PA39
29th Dec 2010, 22:03
I agree NO....

pilotbc69
30th Dec 2010, 23:15
You may be able to claim the blood work if it is done by an independent lab like Douglas Hanley.

You can certainly claim everything on tax if you are working though so that helps a bit.

Old Fella
31st Dec 2010, 02:49
Just wonder why one would be an idiot to have his/her DAME also his/her GP? Don't know about anyone else, but I have seen the same GP for over twenty years and he knows my health situation better than anyone else. Is the inference that having a DAME as your GP means that he/she would know too much about you?

mustafagander
31st Dec 2010, 10:14
The way I see it with physicians is that I want one with whom I have a long, close professional relationship, someone who knows my medical history well. That's who I see when I'm really ill. I went to primary school with my GP.

I attend the local walk-in clinic when I have the flu and just need a few days off. My regular GP is kinda busy and the flu is the flu.

As for a DAME, I just want the box ticked. Probably the less s/he knows about my personal life and habits the better. :ok:

Charlie Foxtrot India
1st Jan 2011, 09:14
I agree with Old Fella, my GP is also my DAME and has been for the last 15 years. One trip to the doc per year for inspection and rectification of defects is quite enough!

Kerr79
1st Jan 2011, 09:23
Why not just ask your insurer? They'll tell you surely.....