PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter PPL - Getting started on a budget

Sean.Larsen
27th Dec 2010, 11:21
Hi All

Having read many reviews and personal stories on PPRUNE, and gained some valuable knowledge, I thought it was only fair that I now post up my experience and in effect 'keep the loop going'.

I wrote my own personal account of my training for a University unit and this is an edited version of that account.

I hope its helpful to someone out there !

“Dont bother unless you have at least £17,000”, “its unsafe to do it in the bare minimum hours”, “don’t expect to pass in 45 hours”, “helicopter schools are there to scam you for every penny you have” – These are some of the typical phrases I came across on forums when I was researching into getting a helicopter PPL. It can be said that sometimes these statements are true however its unfair to say that they apply all of the time.

I am a student at the University of Portsmouth and on the third year of my course I took a year out to work in industry (recommended by the University). I was lucky enough to land myself a job (only 12k p.a, a few minutes from where I lived (my parents house)). I also had a weekend job which again wasn’t amazingly paid but it was a good job never the less. It was a few months into this placement year that I had a decision to make; 1. Save my money long term, 2. Pay off student loan, 3. Spend it all on something big. I decided to take option 3 as I recognised it would be one of the rare occasions in my life where I had this amount of disposable income. I then decided that this ‘big thing’ was going to be a helicopter PPL.

Budgeting – the absolute most important thing if you want to get a PPL and aren’t are millionaire (or simply have a spare £20k). From doing some research I knew it would cost around £15,000 so that was my target. I decided to work the first few months to see if it was going to be achievable. Working 53.5 hours a week, over 7 days isn’t easy, but as you get used to it, it really isn’t that bad. I knew that in order to reach my goal this is what was required. It’s not complicated maths; work hard = get paid more. In all I worked seven days a week for 11 months and this allowed me to save up enough money (how much it cost me in all I do not know to this day – hypocritical I know).
During the time I was working I had one simple rule that helped me save money:
“if you don’t need it, don’t buy it”

If it’s a mars bar in a petrol garage, if it’s some new trainers when your old ones are still fine, don’t buy it! Granted this is a harsh way of living and there are some exceptions: drinks down the pub, gifts, social events etc... but again its not complicated, just don’t spend what you don’t have to, right down to things as small as a chocolate bar. If you want your goal enough, you will stick to the rule. If you find yourself splashing out on unnecessary things ask yourself if you really want it (your goal) enough.

There is a lot of negative reviews on helicopter schools and some extreme ‘horror’ stories of people losing money however they are worth reading so you understand how the industry works. Initially I planned to do my helicopter PPL in the US in order to save money. This was a floored plan, no matter which way I planned it learning in the U.S is more expensive overall (however since writing this the VAT increase may have changed this). So it was decided that I will learn in the U.K. As I couldn’t afford to rent a place out that meant I had to use a local airfield. The airfields local to me that had helicopter schools were; Thruxton, Blackbushe and Goodwood. After reading a similar article to this someone said that it was absolutely vital that you just go around and visit a few airfields, I totally agree with this. The best way to choose where to learn is to go and speak to the people at each school. Yes this is effort, however you need to go and experience the atmosphere and see if you like the people working there (as you’re going to be spending a lot of time + money there!).

Previous to doing my PPL I had no flying experience and simply had a few rides in helicopters. In order to help prepare myself I got a copy of MS flight simulator and a joystick + pedals. This did help me somewhat however, you need to put in a lot of hours in order for it to be beneficial (which I did not).

On my umpteenth hour of research, I found an advert “Helicopter PPL £9999”,this instantly grabbed my attention. Knowing that this was an excl. VAT price I calculated the incl. cost and it seemed one of the most reasonable prices around. This was from Phoenix Helicopter Academy – Goodwood. I would like to at this point, point out I am in no way affiliated or a representative of this company. I think that people are very quick to assume that because a review is rather positive there is something fishy about it.

On calling up to enquire about the course I spoke to the Paul who runs the school. I seemed to get along well with him and he was very helpful. I arranged a meeting with him and a trial flight. At this point I knew my budget and discussed this with Paul and we worked out a plan. The plan being that I had just enough money (I think the figure was £14,000) in order to complete the course in a minimum time. However this was a large gamble as Paul made it very clear that everyone takes different amounts of time to progress and obviously you cannot progress without being safe and competent. This was in June and I planned to start flying 1st August as I finished my placement end of July. I also started back at University in October so I had a two month period in which to complete the course. From Pauls opinion and other reviews, the fact that I would be flying every day would help reduce the amount of hours needed. In June / July I read up on each of the exam areas through a good (but if anything, overly detailed book) called Private Helicopter Pilot Studies by Phil Croucher. This prior knowledge helped greatly in order to speed up the process.

And so the day came Monday 2nd of August and I started my training. Goodwood airfield is a really nice place to be with a friendly atmosphere. It’s whole grounds being designed to keep a vintage feel. On most days there is some kind of vehicle going around the track so if you also like your cars its perfect! On driving in through the gates of Goodwood you head straight ahead under the track (through a very narrow tunnel) and you will see dead ahead the tower (who are all very friendly and luckily don’t get that annoyed when you’re learning the radio and a bit slow). Overall Goodwood is a really nice place to be and I am extremely pleased I chose this airfield to train from (having now seen quite a few other airfields).

The area itself is also a really nice place to fly over especially over the coast by Bognor and the Witterings, and for some reason there is usually really good weather here, even if elsewhere is poor.

There is a classroom with a computer you can use and I can’t fault anything to do with equipment as Paul has everything available to buy at a reasonable price or simply just to lend you.

The school itself I simply can’t fault. It is only a small company with Paul and a few other instructors (dependant on demand) but this gives a very personal tailored experience and you don’t really feel like your being pushed through a corporate style ‘program’. Pre and post flight briefings were carried out on each flight if necessary and to a good quality. Paul was my instructor for the all of my training and again I cant fault him. He is a very experienced pilot who undoubtedly knows what he is doing when it comes to training new pilots. Sometimes you even get the feeling he knows the moves your about to make before you know you’re going to make them! At no point did I ever feel unsafe or even unsure.

The aircraft I learnt in was G-CCVU, which was an R22 Beta 2. It was in brilliant condition and was well equipped. I did fly in another R22 (no longer with Phoenix) on a couple of occasions and it made G-VU look brand new.

There is an online booking system to book your training slots which is implemented and used well. Payment wise I never had any problems at all. You know exactly what your paying for and there were never any hidden costs.

As for the training itself I did two hours flying a day throughout August (depending on weather), and then fitted the rest in amongst my university course (which I do not recommend). I completed the written exams as I went along aiming for an exam a week. These exams aren’t hard however if you haven’t done your reading they can be very hard.

So I did my training, never had any problems and completed my PPL in November this year 2010.

Looking back there is so much to mention I could go on forever. I think the message I’m trying to get across is:

• Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it or it’s not worth doing – you can do it if you put the effort in
• Go and visit at least a few flight schools, and do your research
• If you’re looking for a flight school in the south definitely consider Phoenix Helicopter Academy

Saab Dastard
27th Dec 2010, 11:30
This feels like an ad.

"Phoenix helicopter academy this, Phoenix helicopter academy that"

SD

Whirlygig
28th Dec 2010, 12:28
Yes it does rather ...

“helicopter schools are there to scam you for every penny you have” – These are some of the typical phrases I came across on forumsReally? I've never heard that phrase.

The school itself I simply can’t faultHow many other helicopter schools did you train with? What you describe is what I would expect a minimum standard of any FTO and I have flown with a few.

I'm sure that Phoenix is a good school but nearly every flying student/new PPL says that about the school with whom they train because a) they don't have the experience of any other schools and b) the amount paid for the licence is an emotional investment and believing that the choice of school was the correct decision forms part of that emotional investment.

Cheers

Whirls

DC3freightdog
28th Dec 2010, 13:20
It all depends how much you put into your training. If you are doing your homework and prepare every lesson well you can safe a lot of money. Last month I had a military student who covered in on hour more than most students get acomplished in 4 hours. He was well prepared. In regard to black sheep flight schools. There are many very good flight schools out there. How ever you mainly hear about the bad ones. No one puts a gun to your head and forces you to pay $ 50000. It takes two! A few month ago I did my helicopter Instrument Instructor and was very happy with the training and flight school.

Phil Space
28th Dec 2010, 17:10
I would have though the cheap route is to get a fixed wing licence first. Saves the helicopter charges when doing what can be done in a small fixed wing.

Whirlygig
28th Dec 2010, 17:28
How can than work out cheaper?

45 hours in a plank at, say £120 an hour equals £5,400. This will save a maximum of 6 hours helicopter time at, say, £280 an hour equals £1,680. Does not compute!

Cheers

Whirls

FleetFlyer
29th Dec 2010, 10:50
Well ad or not, there are still some important points made by the OP.
Shop around!
Don't let the doom mongers of PPrune put you off.
If you work hard you can do it.
Although the 'minimum hours' student is a rare beast, there is nothing that says you are not one. (though never bet the completion of your license on being one)

Hughes500
29th Dec 2010, 14:07
having spent 5000 hours ish teaching people to fl,y the best students are those that can be bothered to come prepared to the lessons and fly a couple of times a week.
Those that have passed within 45 hours have all come, having read the lessons up before the brief and they have almost embarrassed me with some very in depth questions. Combine this with bothering to do the exams on time if not before. Most students cant be bothered to do the 7 ground subjects unless they are cadjoled, bullied, shouted at etc etc, those that do save themselves a fortune ! Mind you I keep forgeting the customer is always right though !!!!!!:sad:

parasite drag
29th Dec 2010, 17:18
and you 'nailed' it in 45 hours Sean or is it still £9999 if you take 100 ??

EN48
29th Dec 2010, 20:00
I must confess that I am somewhat puzzled by the ongoing emphasis on getting the rating done quickly and cheaply, especially the PPL. What happens after that? If one is intending that someone else pays for flight time after the rating, then maybe it starts to make sense. To remain reasonably proficient and safe in a helicopter requires, IMHO, a minimum of 75-100 hrs flight time per year. Unless one's employer or others are picking up the tab for this, it does not seem all that important to accomplish the PPL fast and cheap unless one intends to stop flying at that point and use the rating for bragging rights. :confused:

I would certainly agree that be well prepared for any training is the way to go.

Hughes500
29th Dec 2010, 20:32
PDrag
Sean is obviously in the top 10 % of ppl's ( those that are able to pass within 45 hours) probably the flight academy:bored:

Whirlybird
29th Dec 2010, 21:30
Sean, I'm glad you got on well. However, soon after I got my PPL I would have said the same things as you about the school and instructor I trained with. Months if not years later, I realised they hadn't been all that great. As a new PPL, you don't know what you don't know!!! Bear that in mind for the future. I hope you don't need to know it, but you might.

Heliport
29th Dec 2010, 23:09
Sean Larsen

Thanks for your interesting and informative post.
l hope it will inspire others to follow your excellent example. :ok:

H.

FH1100 Pilot
3rd Jan 2011, 15:18
First of all, Sean, congratulations on obtaining your PPL! It is a marvelous achievement of which you can be justifiably proud. We all welcome you to the club.

As to your post: It did seem rather like an advert, but I have to admit that you walked a fine line and did not cross it.

But I rather liked this part:During the time I was working I had one simple rule that helped me save money:
“if you don’t need it, don’t buy it”

If it’s a mars bar in a petrol garage, if it’s some new trainers when your old ones are still fine, don’t buy it! Granted this is a harsh way of living...
Heh. Harsh way of living? Not buying things you don't need? My boy, that is exactly how my parents lived their whole lives - and they did not consider it "harsh." It is also the way many of *my* generation still live. I do not consider it harsh either. It's called "living within one's means." It's a concept that seems foreign to young people these days. And I say that in full recognition of how old-fogey-ish it makes 56 year-old me sound.

Quick story: Young, low-time commercial pilot I know obtained a low-paying, seasonal utility-flying gig in a remote part of the country. But to actually move up to where the job was he had to borrow US$250 from me. I almost considered it a gift, but strong were his promises to pay me back out of his first paycheck.

Well you know that didn't happen. Not with his second paycheck either. Or his third. Or even his last.

When the job ended and he returned to this part of the country, stayed with me while looking for another job. The first thing he bought (to my surprise) was a notebook computer even though I offered him the use of my old desktop. Nope, my old clunker wasn't good enough. Then I noticed that in his car he had a Garmin GPS! One that must have cost him at least a couple of hundred bucks. His reasoning: The part of the country he was living in was desolate and he needed the GPS to find his way around. My reasoning: There are some mighty fine PAPER MAPS that can accomplish the same thing.

Point being, young people in 2010 have a vastly different attitude towards spending (and repaying) money that those of my or (especially!) my parents' generation. And the evidence of it is that you consider it "harsh" to not buy new trainers (I think we call them "sneakers" in the U.S.) when you already have a perfectly serviceable pair. That's not harsh, son, that's just reality.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Really, it's great that you got your PPL. I hope you can use it and enjoy it! But given these economic times, I suspect that lots of people are going to learn (or relearn) the lesson my parents had to learn in their day, when there simply wasn't any "extra" money lying around to use to splurge on new sneakers when you already have a perfectly good pair.

(I did get my money back from my young friend...eventually...when he finally felt like getting around to it.)

foxmead
3rd Jan 2011, 16:10
Hm, i would say most of the respondants have a point here. Yes it is a lot of money and it does depend on the route the individual wishes to take PPL, CPL, FI. as far as funding goes there is a combination of people borrowing money, remortgage, career development loans etc, or the fortunate few who have the funds through there income and intend to purchase their own heli.

As far as schools in the south are concerned, there is one with a very high reputation who operate well maintained and clean aircraft and any lazy pupils will not be given an easy ride, and no i am not advertising them, thats why i am not mentioning them by name, would not think i would need to!!!!

Sean.Larsen
29th Apr 2011, 19:16
Hi all

Having seen the replies to my initial post I though it would be appropriate to give my response. (Starting with the earliest posts)

Saab Dastard - Sorry if the message comes across as an advert this was not my intent. I had always planned on writing up my experience and if I had had a negative experience (which luckily I didn't) then I would have written about this. At the end of the day I can only give my honest opinion and if this sounds like an ad then so be it.

Whirlygig - You make a valid point and and I concede that I have not flown with other flight schools (although I have spoken to other schools and instructors). So yes without experience of other schools my opinion is devalued slightly, however I can only give my opinion (which I hope is not too bias due to my emotional investment!).

DC3freightdog - Yes indeed you do 'mainly hear about the bad ones' and this was my attempt to try and address that balance !

FleetFlyer - I like your term 'doom mongers of PPrune'. On so many threads there are these people who add unnecessary negativity that does not add value to the thread. Yes you should always be realistic however optimism should never be undervalued!

Hughes500 - Again I agree with your post, I was flying every week day in August (apart from a few lost days due to weather). I strongly believe that this regular flying allowed me to complete in 45 hours as there was no wasted 'catching up time' that you might get between long gaps in flying.

parasite drag - I don't quite understand your question. Yes I finished in 45 hours, no it cost me more than £9999 (but this was fully expected).

EN48 - I appreciate your point and if I had the money to pass in 100 hours I would of preferred to do that, however the main restriction in my personal circumstance was the time limit. As I started back at University in September I did not want to mix my academic work with flying due to a high Uni workload. And I did not want a 10 month gap in flying.

Heliport - Thanks for your response it is much appreciated.

FH1100 Pilot - I'm glad you appreciate my spending etiquette! Many people ask me how I managed to save up so much being so young and even when I explain people don't understand the principle. It is unfortunately a growing characteristic of the western world to buy things we simply don't need (and ironically being a product designer, its my job to design some of this 'junk'!).

foxmead - I honestly do not know what school you are referring to, and I am rather intrigued to know!

As for my personal progress to date I am near completing my degree having designed for my final year project a helicopter training device which has won several academic awards (which won me nearly £2000) :

News | News and Events | University of Portsmouth (http://www.port.ac.uk/aboutus/newsandevents/news/title,123659,en.html)

News | News and Events | University of Portsmouth (http://www.port.ac.uk/aboutus/newsandevents/news/title,123935,en.html)

Without mentioning any names (as I do not want to further impose this 'ad' status). A certain instructor from a certain school assisted me with the functionality of this device, this I think is a good example of the extra mile that the staff at this school are willing to go. Along with this I am now an employee of this school as a trained ground crew member.

I don't really think I could of asked any more of this school.*

*Other flight schools are also available.

helicopter-redeye
30th Apr 2011, 12:37
I think I'd just add "the young learn quicker" (I'm sure there was something about that in the Human Factors bit of the ATPL exams but I'm getting too old to remember .... ;)

So take a 50 year old and get them to take a PPL course and then compare them to a 20 year old used to education, education, education and the younger player will probably do the course quicker and probably better.

And if money is tight, there is another motivation to make every $ count.

h-r