PDA

View Full Version : Buying headsets from US

Pat S
27th Dec 2010, 00:23
I'm thinking of buying DC 13.4 headset from the US as they appear to be over $100 cheaper than AUS sellers. I thought i read in another post that you should be cautious buying headsets from US as connectors/adaptors may be different?

MyNameIsIs
27th Dec 2010, 00:37
Headsets can come with a variety of plugs, however they are all a standard.

You may get pinged with duty/gst or similar when they come through customs. Otherwise they may actually come straight to your door. Luck of the draw.

For $100, it might just be easier to pick one up in Aus locally. Less potential hassle, and peace of mind if you have any doubts.

Orion Delta
27th Dec 2010, 00:40
I purchased the same ones that you mentioned. I have had no problems and did not need an adaptor ...
They were at my doorstep eight days after I had put the order in. Easy.

solowflyer
27th Dec 2010, 00:46
Having bought stuff from overseas before if it is over $1000 value you will get gst and duty etc charged. If below no dramas. Having said that I bought some items which come to $1500 Au a few years ago but as the invoice was about $800 us I did not get charged. luck of the draw maybe?

UnderneathTheRadar
27th Dec 2010, 00:50
I bought from the US - after shipping and freight and getting stung for GST, wasn't worth it.

Do it if you have someone there who can pick it up and get it sent over labelled as a present or bring it over for you.

UTR

Arnold E
27th Dec 2010, 01:03
Ask the place you order them from to send them USPS (not UPS). Having built an aircraft and getting everything from the US, I can assure you that it is not a problem for articles under $1000. The service is excellent from American companys (unlike Australian ) and you will get them in approx 8 days.:ok:

Clearedtoreenter
27th Dec 2010, 01:10
Won't get hit with GST if under $1000 (for now) but watch out for shipping costs from some of those places over there... some might look cheap but then insist on FEDEX or something making a very large hole in your $100. I just had to pay $38 for a headset even by USPS. Aus suppliers often won't recognise warranty either so if anything goes wrong it has to go back to the US.

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Dec 2010, 01:54
I have bought DCs from the US - never a problem.

I have had warrantee work done in Oz on DCs bought from the US - not a problem.

Australian companies need to learn that it is now a global marketplace and compete price-wise.

They can also learn a lot from our US cousins about customer service.

Dr :8

LeadSled
27th Dec 2010, 02:41
Folks,
I second FTDK's comments and experience, and if you are buying David Clark headsets, the likelihood of a warranty problem is remote. I wouldn't use any other brand.
Tootle pip!

bentleg
27th Dec 2010, 04:03
I bought a DC 20-10 headset (and have also bought ICOM transceivers) from Pilotmall (http://www.pilotmall.com/category/david-clark-headsets)without any hassles. The AUD was not as strong then as it is today.

Pilotmall quote for DC 13.4 USD 331.89 (including DHL Worldwide Express delivery). I note Pilotmall is currently out of stock but I expect that won't last long.

Have had no warranty or customs issues with any of these purchases. Delivery was less than a week.

ozaggie
27th Dec 2010, 04:48
Watch the freight cost. A friend got charged $380.00 Frt for one Bose headset

superdimona
27th Dec 2010, 05:11
Wow. Did they charter a mail plane just for his headset?

As mentioned previously, if you have a choice always go for USPS. I've never had any customs or GST problems added as long as the declared value is <$1000. Buying online is the way to go.

muffman
27th Dec 2010, 05:43
I bought a non-aviation Bose headset from the USA which developed a fault outside the warranty period and Bose Austraila replaced it free of charge with a newer model. Great customer service from them, and no issues with having purchased it o/s. :ok:

AVIATOR1982
27th Dec 2010, 05:47
FTDK, Clearly you have such a lack of understanding regarding this subject that it is almost not worth mentioning. However I cannot resist, do you not think if it was even remotely possible for Australian Dealers to match USA prices they would ?

And trust me I really do know what I am talking about. I am telling you now that David Clark headsets are almost not worth bothering with for an Australian based dealer at $400 inc GST, you might as well be giving the stupid things away for free.

AVIATOR1982
27th Dec 2010, 05:58
And just for the record it's not just GST that gets charged when you import from overseas, it is 10% GST then 5% Import Duty then an admin fee from whoever the customs handling agent/broker is which is usually $100-$150 per consignment.

The 5 &10% are charged on the total paid including shipping and then converted to AUD at the most uncompeteve exchange rate you can find anywhere, which usually leaves the importer with a rather larger hole in their wallet than they bargained for.

YPJT
27th Dec 2010, 06:25
If the Retail Traders Association get any traction with the government next year at the inquiry, cheap overseas shopping online or otherwise might just become a thing of the past.

Hear what you are saying Aviator1982. We are often faced with something of a dilemma as to whether we support Aussie businesses and expensive associated bureaucracy or send our dollars overseas?

aussiefan
27th Dec 2010, 07:09
Aviator 1982, if you want to get technical....
The exchange rate comes from an average of five Australian sources and applied at the date the goods are shipped.

The $1000 is a combination of freight, insurance and the value of the goods, even gifts! Customs will assume that you have paid 0.25% insurance even if you haven't and add it to the total.

If the goods attract duty it gets added first then add the GST on that. Note that you are not paying tax on a tax as duty is not a tax.

You can clear your own goods through customs but some people find it tricky.

Just in case anyone thinks is it bad with the GST. Prior to the GST it was the value of the goods plus 20% plus duty plus sales tax, 22% up to 44% (from memory)

Also the $1000 limit is relatively new, for a long time it was $400.

Jack Ranga
27th Dec 2010, 08:29
Australian companies need to learn that it is now a global marketplace and compete price-wise.

'Switching to the mac: snow leopard edition'

Borders Australia: $75

Amazon US: $29 (Including freight) no credit card charges or commissions if you have a ******* mastercard.

Yep, I think Australian retailers should do a little less whinging and a little more competing!

Capt Fathom
27th Dec 2010, 09:06
Yep, I think Australian retailers should do a little less whinging and a little more competing!

And that there is the catch! We don't have the numbers!

In order to compete, we need Australians to buy locally!

But being the tight-arsed, narrow-minded people we are, we just help prop up other economies instead!

We are slowly but surely out-sourcing all our industries and businesses for the sake of a few bucks.

Next we'll be importing bread and milk, because no one here can afford to produce it!

:(

Howard Hughes
27th Dec 2010, 09:56
Also the $1000 limit is relatively new, for a long time it was $400.
$1000 limit only applies to goods entering the country by mail, make sure they send it via USPS and not via courier! The limit for goods that arrive by courier (UPS, Fedex, etc..) is only $250 before you are charged duty and GST!:eek:

superdimona
27th Dec 2010, 11:28
However I cannot resist, do you not think if it was even remotely possible for Australian Dealers to match USA prices they would ?

And trust me I really do know what I am talking about. I am telling you now that David Clark headsets are almost not worth bothering with for an Australian based dealer at $400 inc GST, you might as well be giving the stupid things away for free.

So, as a retailer, it might be very hard to beat online pricing. As a customer, why should I care?

If companies can benefit from globalization by buying things from overseas, I don't see why customers shouldn't as well.

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Dec 2010, 11:38
FTDK, Clearly you have such a lack of understanding regarding this subject that it is almost not worth mentioning.

Nothing new in that! :}

AVIATOR1982
27th Dec 2010, 13:56
I never said anything about the consumer not being able to benefit, I just have issues with people who know nothing about the situation claiming that the Australian pilot shops are ripping people off when actually everybody is doing their absolute best to be competetive in what is actually an extremely competetive market.

We all know the USA shops look nice and cheap, and on the odd product they are, however the reality is that by the time all is said and done, most of the time once the product is in your hand you will have paid almost the same price if not more , usually have no official warranty support in Australia and shipped all your dollars to the states instead of supporting the Australian economy. Pretty silly tactic if you ask me, but hey what do I know.

Sunfish
27th Dec 2010, 14:26
Use USPS, I won't buy if I have to use anyone else, it's just too much hassle at this end, and its more expensive for a slower service.

Fedex, DHl, etc. will automatically charge you GST and around $60.00 "processing fee" for entering the goods through Customs which takes forever even if the value is less than $1000.00

Fedex and DHL are Slower than USPS Airmail and Parcel Post. If you order something on Thursday Australian time, you will often receive it Monday because you gain a day and your goods are flying over the weekend.

This is better than Fedex, and DHL etc., because your goods can languish for several days at their intermediate depots in the U.S. while they build volume for an Australian cargo flight. The U.S. Postal service does not appear to do this, or they have the mail volume that makes it unnecessary.

VH-XXX
27th Dec 2010, 18:03
Quote:
FTDK, Clearly you have such a lack of understanding regarding this subject that it is almost not worth mentioning.

Thems fightin' words!

+1 for American customer service. Had a guy personally walk down the street to the US post office recently to post my custom cowl plugs. THAT is customer service, just to save me a few $$ on freight.

Pat S
27th Dec 2010, 18:19
I've spotted a pair from SkySupply USA for $306 + $45 USPS which still looks about $100 cheaper than what you can get them from here.

LeadSled
28th Dec 2010, 07:30
Folks,
I use USPS almost exclusively for small shipment, quite apart from the cost (shipping plus import charges) versus UPS, Fedex, Burlington etc., I have found ( based on about 500 shipments per year) that USPS is faster and certainly more convenient.
Typically, from the west coast, 72 hours, door to door, sometimes faster, the best being 57 hours from lodgement to my front door, from the eastern states, usually withing five days ----- as long as it is not within a month of Christmas.
I always pay for the tracked and insured service, and have never had a loss or any damage. I have had one Fedex shipment damaged, the insurance was reasonably prompt, but still a bit of a hassle.
Tootle pip!!

skidmark1975
28th Dec 2010, 07:33
Yeah great idea this globalisation, get everything overseas to save a buck. This could be something for the aviation industry, headsets, maintenance, pilots etc as no one here seems to give s*#t if we spend money overseas.
Great idea until it hits home.:ugh:

PA39
28th Dec 2010, 08:04
I have purchased tens of thousands of dollars worth of radio gear from the US. ALWAYS use USPS (United States Postal Service) Global priority, quick and efficient. I have never had a problem with warranty, had a vac pump fail early and was instructed by the manufacturer to swap it at the Oz distributor with which they made prior contact. If you buy used radio gear make sure it has an 8130 certificate. Those DC 13.4's are excellent, i purchased 6 on ebay, all for a fraction of the cost of local prices. Yep under $1k, GST free UNLESS it is for resale, then it is taxable.

Big ticket items (engines/props/screens etc) were all bought in by my customs agent. Never a problem.

'39

superdimona
28th Dec 2010, 08:41
So if I buy headsets from the US it's bad, but if I give my money to Mr X, who then goes and buys the headsets from the US anyway, it's perfectly OK?

I'm guessing you're saying it's a bad thing because Mr X now has less money to feed his children. In a Capitalist country Mr X has to compete with others - if his role (importing Headsets then reselling at a higher price) is becoming obsolete, he needs new ideas. Pehaps he could do a bulk buy with other resellers to get a cheaper price, offer a local repair service, or just decide it's no longer feasible and find a new income stream.

On the surface this is a bad thing for him. But because _everyone else_ also has to work efficiently to earn a buck, he benefits from cheap clothes, electronics, and other consumer goods.

If we changed the laws to say "you must only buy through authorized resellers" then we'd remove a lot of incentive for resellers to have decent prices. Mr X might have more sales, but then the price of many other things would go up as well, and he may be no better off.

Arnold E
28th Dec 2010, 08:58
It's not only price that counts, It's service that is important. Most Australian suppliers dont seem to understand that. The fact is that most American suppliers will bend over backwards to help, most Australian suppliers would not get out of their own way to help. So guess where I am gong to go? And who's fault is that.:confused:

Jabawocky
28th Dec 2010, 12:09
Too true, the US suppliers do understand it.

Clearedtoreenter
29th Dec 2010, 09:02
The exchange rate comes from an average of five Australian sources and applied at the date the goods are shipped.

Yeah right, those 5 sources wouldn't be the great super competitive Aussie banks would they?

When we do get hit with GST and the goods are handled by FEDEX etc, the overall cost is nothing short of extortion and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

If those retailers do get away with cancelling the $1000 GST limit, it will just be a licence for even bigger rip-offs in Aussie shops. Let's hope they don't get away with it.

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Dec 2010, 10:02
Me thinks thou doth protest too much

----------

Arnold E
29th Dec 2010, 10:07
Aviator. Sit down quietly and read your own post, read it carefully, several times if necessary and you may get some idea why I buy from the US. Like I said, its not only about price. Read your post again and see how you are addressing your customers and then come back and talk to me.

VH-XXX
29th Dec 2010, 21:31
I'm guessing you're saying it's a bad thing because Mr X now has less money to feed his children. In a Capitalist country Mr X has to compete with others - if his role (importing Headsets then reselling at a higher price) is becoming obsolete, he needs new ideas. Pehaps he could do a bulk buy with other resellers to get a cheaper price, offer a local repair service, or just decide it's no longer feasible and find a new income stream.

Sorry but if you are referring to a certain recreational aviation site then whinge somewhere else.

For a jobless individual running an online Aviation shop and forum to plead for donations to give christmas presents to his children is un-Australian and that in should cease and desist such practices, it is a joke and he should know better.

superdimona
30th Dec 2010, 06:35
Sorry but if you are referring to a certain recreational aviation site then whinge somewhere else.

What on earth are you talking about?

pilotbc69
30th Dec 2010, 23:11
I know a number of friends who have had nothing but problems with the new DC headsets (noise cancelling carbon fibre ones) but they may have fixed that by now. If you ship with UPS they can charge you a processing fee of a few hundred dollars and basically have you by the balls because you either have to pay it or go through a long process of paperwork bringing the item through customs. (happened to me) :mad: Like everyone says use USPS or Fed-Ex NEVER use UPS. Good luck. :ok:

romeocharlie
1st Jan 2011, 06:36
I'm not sure about the lower range of products, but Pilot shops aside, Bose Australia has the new A20 for $1595, Bose USA has same for $1095US, which at the current Aussie dollar ($1.0236) is $1069 - $526 cheaper than in Aus.

This is also why the Sydney Morning Herald has run numerous articles regarding US based companies (ie. Apple) overcharging Australian shops.

RC