PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Duty

ian16th
25th Dec 2010, 19:49
There has been a lot of chat in the press about a certain newly engaged chopper driver, volunteering for duty over the Xmas period, to allow the married guys to have Xmas with their families.

Is this the norm in this day and age?

During my service, it was normal for the Scots to do the Xmas duties. This enabled them to have their time off for their pagan ceremonies over the New Year.

Of course, at that time, New Years Day was not a Bank Holiday in England & Wales. I think that this was invented by Harold Wilson's government in the late 60's.

Spot 4
25th Dec 2010, 19:57
A variation on the same theme that I have experienced was for married guys to be with their familys at Christmas and for singlies to be partying big time over New Year. It was a rare occasion for individuals to be totally shafted, but of course these days with long OOA that is the norm for many....too many.

Dengue_Dude
25th Dec 2010, 20:22
his enabled them to have their time off for their pagan ceremonies over the New Year

Might as well, the Christian ones haven't managed to achieve much . . . besides, they'll be banned soon as offensive to Moslems.

Pontius Navigator
25th Dec 2010, 20:59
Or senior officers covering OO/SDO duties.

muttywhitedog
25th Dec 2010, 21:02
Still happens around here - the CO & Execs have picked up quite a few OO's over this period.

Q-RTF-X
25th Dec 2010, 21:11
Casting my mind back to the time I was in the service I seem to remember that generally common sense prevailed and rosters were drawn up wherever possible to meet different needs and most came to the table with a degree of flexibility. Often some rather welcome unexpected little gestures cropped up i.e. Christmas 1960 as very junior SAC on standby over the period was invited to visit the married quarter of one of the section SNCO's one evening for 'a couple of drinks'; nice gesture and nice change and something I tried to arrange when it was my turn to be an SNCO in AMQ's. Roundabouts and Swings.

Pontius Navigator
25th Dec 2010, 21:27
Q-RTF-X, indeed that gesture is still repeated - US personnel host Brit crew because they, in the past, have been well hosted in turn. Not an exchange but a true gesture of goodwill.