PDA

View Full Version : Green Aircrew socks

EOSM37
24th Dec 2010, 22:31
Just came back from a cancelled Nimrod OCU and while I was at the OCU, I was issued a pair of green socks to use. Does anyone know what the hole at the top of the socks are for? Was just a little curious and none of the OCU staff could figure it out themselves.

Pontius Navigator
24th Dec 2010, 22:38
EOSM, I take it you have not done the combat survival course or were asleep. The hole at the top is so that you can fill it with sand. The sand can then be used to filter liquids thus rendering what was undrinkable drinkable.

It is essential that the sock has only one hole or else the sand will run out.

I hope that helps.

OneFifty
24th Dec 2010, 22:38
Putting your foot into??

(Sorry, couldn't resist :} Merry Christmas!)

davejb
24th Dec 2010, 23:30
As a young siggie I was told that the socks were really only for engineers, as the hole at the top was for putting their ****s into. Apparently only the engineers fitted into the hole, siggies had to use a rubber band to hold them in place, and AEOs needed a Jubileee clip.

At least that is what my first Sqn engineer told me, didn't you Fergie?

Dave

MechGov
25th Dec 2010, 09:10
More than one hole brings to mind the apocryphal story about the GE and the sock in Dakar....

Merry Christmas everone

grandfer
25th Dec 2010, 12:01
Can't be golfing socks as they've only got a hole-in-one !
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL PPRUNERS !!!!!!:confused::confused:

Mal Drop
26th Dec 2010, 22:10
The socks I recently got have modded themselves with a hole at the other end after one day of wear.

Tashengurt
26th Dec 2010, 22:26
Darned if I know!:}

barnstormer1968
27th Dec 2010, 08:48
EOSM

I can happily tell you, but it's too late now!

As most of the UK's forces are now near permanently deployed, the MOD relaised that troops would be likely to be in a combat zone over the festive period, so drafted an UOR for a dual purpose sock/Christmas stocking. The whole in the top of the sock is for hanging it from a convenient desert/sandy/temperate mantle piece, for use as a Christmas stocking. Although it was formerly possible to simply make a hole in an existing sock, this was leading to repair requests, which pushed the MOD sock budget into very high limits and so had to be reduced.

barnstormer1968
28th Dec 2010, 08:41
Really annoyed.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. To be honest, I think I am making very few mistakes at the moment, considering I am nearly bed bound with H1N1 swine flu!

I'm sorry to hear that you once had such a boring girlfriend though!:E