PDA

View Full Version : EK staff accomodation (Engineer)

itaintgoingtothemoon
24th Dec 2010, 07:13
I'll be moving over to the sandpit shortly.

I note many of the apartments blocks in DXB open out to a back road.

Any EK apartments more suitable for little ones?

Any in their own grounds?

Any with ground floor level apartments?

Any with a maid room?

I be an engineer. I understand that I'm entitled to a 3 bed.

145qrh
24th Dec 2010, 09:41
Cardboard box, middle of the road.

Expect to be up and our before you go to bed to lick the road clean.

Then a cup of cold gravel before going to work..:}

bvcu
24th Dec 2010, 17:15
you were lucky , you had a cardboard box..................

InnocentBystander
26th Dec 2010, 12:35
Sure. Upon joining a helpful and very qualified member of the accommodation team will greet you and personally have at least ten different accommodation options for you to choose from. He/She will then proceed to show you at least five of those in person. You can then choose which will be the best fit for you.

:ok:

itaintgoingtothemoon
26th Dec 2010, 23:12
A useful post. Finally! Thank you.

I guess one always has the option to take the allowance should the provided accommodation not hit the mark.

I wouldn't normally be too fussy but the little one is very active & loves to spend time outside.

cargosales
27th Dec 2010, 01:11
A useful post. Finally! Thank you.

I guess one always has the option to take the allowance should the provided accommodation not hit the mark.

I wouldn't normally be too fussy but the little one is very active & loves to spend time outside.

Enjoy being outside with the little one in July and August :eek:

Just don't forget to insist / get it in writing that you have access to a pool with a cooler. And yes, you read that correctly, a pool with a cooler !

BigGeordie
27th Dec 2010, 07:52
Actually InnocentBystander's post isn't that helpful- I think the tongue was firmly inserted in the cheek when that was written.

Here is the way it works:- You are allocated accommodation before you turn up. When you arrive you are given the key. The only choice you have is take it or leave it. If you leave it the allowance you get will allow you to rent somewhere halfway decent, with out door space (you do know it gets a bit warm here in the summer, right?) if that is your priority. Bear in mind you would then be responsible for water and electricity bills- which can be truly epic in the summer (did I mention the heat?)- as well as "housing fees" and disputes with the landlord.

The accommodation department is as understaffed as any other department but possibly less interested in their jobs than most. You can't count on a great deal of help from them and if your rules are the same as the ones for the pilots once you have moved out you can't move back in. If, say, rents doubled in the space of two years.... but that hardly ever happens. (Sorry, now my tongue is in my cheek!):E

Arty Craft
27th Dec 2010, 09:32
Hi itaintgoingtothemoon,

Hope you are coming to Base Heavy or Base Ops.

If you are joining us in the Line then you will find this link useful :

mental hospitals in dubai - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mental+hospitals+in+dubai)

777boyindubai
27th Dec 2010, 09:35
Firstly, welcome to EK.

The accommodation department isn't up to much and is probably the most unhelpful of all EK departments. :ugh:

Ask your HR co-ordinator (usually very helpful) for the address and say your shipping company can't ship your goods without one. Maybe they can ask accommodation for you.

Do think of taking the allowance and check out a site like betterhomes
www.bhomes.com (http://www.bhomes.com) (EGGW, please note, I have no imterests here) The downside is utility bills. DEWA increased their charges by 15% recently and don't forget the 5% Municipality Tax. There is a huge choice available and the prices don't seem to be going up anytime soon.

In EK accommodation, you don't need to worry about the 5% tax and depending on your grade, the utilities are covered to some extent.

They will probably put you in Al Barsha or Al Nahda (near the border with Sharjah) Forget outdoor space. It will be an empty piece of sand next to another tower block.

Hope the move works for you. Sorry for the short reply. Knackered. Yet again. You will see what I mean when you get here.

itaintgoingtothemoon
28th Dec 2010, 02:03
Cheers InnocentBystander. Right at this point, with a ticking clock, misinformation is exactly what I need.

I've been out in the pit before. I understand the dead-of-summer conditions.

I will be in the hangars.

EK will be an upward move for me at this time. It's truly dreadful were I am now!

U can still make use of the early mornings during the hot months. Hot grass is more favourable than hot scrub, which is why I'm putting the feelers out.

Lets have a bit of fun later. Right now I'm concerned for the welfare of my family & would greatly appreciate all your insight.

My wife's starting to sway towards own accomodation, but as you guys say, once you opt out..................

FJCruiser
28th Dec 2010, 06:42
Before signing on the accomodation dotted line, ask them to have a look at the options available. Tecom is where most are housed before getting the opportunity to be upgraded to a villa (between 2 1/2 and 3 years wait).There are also some availability from time to time on SZR, whether it is an EK building or privately leased by EK like where we were a couple months ago. Most flats are cabin crew buildings not really suited to family life but we went through this ourselves before being upgraded eventually. Good luck with the move.

Jet II
28th Dec 2010, 15:16
I doubt that you will be offered an apartment in Tecom, they are being prioritised now for cabin crew and existing Engineers are trying to move out.

At the moment there is also a restriction on moving out of company accommodation, those that have applied are being told to wait up to 6 months with no guarantee that they will be allowed to move out even then (the rules about moving out can and do change overnight).

Villas are generally in Mirdiff under the flightpath - with some old ones in Media City.

Depending on what sort of accommodation you are looking for, if you feel that you might want to move out, then you would probably be best advised to do that from the start and not take company accommodation at all. Do not trust them if they say you can move out later, policies can change and EK are not as short of accommodation as they once were.

R6DXB
28th Dec 2010, 16:07
just try to avoid Mirdif due to the flight path.....bloody loud when the Antonovs fly in/out @ 1 am

Jet II
28th Dec 2010, 16:50
just try to avoid Mirdif due to the flight path.....bloody loud when the Antonovs fly in/out @ 1 am

shouldn't be a problem for much longer, the freighters are all going to Maktoum International next year.

freeborn
28th Dec 2010, 16:58
I think its called Al Quiz area in industrial area
any one knows that accomidation and how is it

InnocentBystander
28th Dec 2010, 16:59
Cheers InnocentBystander. Right at this point, with a ticking clock, misinformation is exactly what I need.

If asking on an anonymous forum is what you thought of doing after having no useful response from your HR joining coordinator, you made the wrong conclusions.

Funny, how, after that experience, my post could've sounded even remotely reasonable to you. My bad.

:ok:

itaintgoingtothemoon
29th Dec 2010, 01:20
Thanks for the heads-up everyone. Invaluable.

Sounds like a bit of a minefield.

I'm really not into a 2 to 3 year wait for a villa. That's too big a chunk of a little person's life.

As much as I'd prefer residing in a company villa, seems our hand could be forced.

Was looking at property around Arabian Ranches/Motorcity. Quite a trek to the airport, though considering a bike (R6DXB - you an R6 rider?)

Thanks again.

InnocentBystander
29th Dec 2010, 04:49
For serious, make sure you get the utility allowance approved IN WRITING beforehand. Otherwise you might not get it.

Heritage 1
29th Dec 2010, 05:38
Have a look at Silicon Oasis. It is closer to the airport than the Ranches and is not on the flight path. Villas available at Cedre Villas, and lots of apartment options. Schools nearby too.

Riding a bike in Dubai, especially on Emirates road, is something you should think very carefully about. The drivers here are maniacs and on Emirates road you chances of making it to work in one piece are rather slim.:eek:

777boyindubai
29th Dec 2010, 06:11
I second seriousbystanders' comment.

You MUST get it in writing. EK accommodation love playing the "have you got it in writing?" card.

Please do listen to some of the posts here. That is one of the best posts for anyone thinking of joining EK. The VP is not a nice guy at all. Doesn't respond to emails. Won't let people swap or move villas.

itaintgoingtothemoon
29th Dec 2010, 12:02
Food for thought. Thanks guys.

I've not indicated my choice as yet (Co or allowance).

Seriousbystander - I'll be sure to get everything confirmed through email.

Heritage, I understand your concern, I've a few friends over there who ride, they say its pretty much like the rest of Asia. Defensive or die!

km5
29th Dec 2010, 17:36
The web site Dubizzel contains many apartments to rent in Dubai. Thats if you decide to take the allowance instead of the company provided accommodation.

itaintgoingtothemoon
31st Dec 2010, 02:40
Thanks. My wife has been using dubizzle heavily for some time now!

I understand that even if you do opt for the accommodation allowance, you have to wait a few months before qualifying. presumably in temporary company accommodation.

Got you by the short-n-curlies.

R6DXB
31st Dec 2010, 15:43
Riding a bike in Dubai, especially on Emirates road, is something you should think very carefully about. All just a question of your equipment....loud pipes save life ! :ok:

Happy new year to all of you

itaintgoingtothemoon
1st Jan 2011, 01:53
So the man has a yamaha pocket-rocket with blow-pipe!

We need to talk!

Happy new year all.