PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy an R22

gyrotyro
23rd Dec 2010, 19:32
Does anyone have an R22 for sale in the UK or other adjacent countries? Preferably one that has not had its first 2200 rebuild yet.

Thanks

oldbeefer
24th Dec 2010, 08:03
I think the problem will be finding one that hasn't been bent yet!:}

FSXPilot
25th Dec 2010, 06:36
If you get one make sure you've got life insurance if you have dependants.

gyrotyro
25th Dec 2010, 07:33
I think the same rules from the two posts above apply to buying the average family car as well. I am sure the statistics for an R22 are not as bad as you would like to make out.

Gordy
25th Dec 2010, 07:42
I think the same rules from the two posts above apply to buying the average family car as well. I am sure the statistics for an R22 are not as bad as you would like to make out.

Do not look at numbers but percentages.....

If Ford has the same "percentage" of his vehicles crash......think about it....

oldbeefer
25th Dec 2010, 09:45
Look at the insurance rates for a R22 compared with, say, an Enstrom!

stringfellow
25th Dec 2010, 10:11
is it me or is this robbie bashing very, very tiresome???

you probably all trained on it at some stage and has it ever occurred to you that it may be the only machine within budget??? and i imagine this chap is going to buy and maintain it out of his hard earned cash not have the luxury of jumping in a superior machine paid for by his employers.

im looking to buy a machine, on balance a 44, not because i berate the 22 but because with my limited ability i feel better equiped to deal with any problems that may hopefully never arise. if flown right the 22 is a great fun personal heli, go buy one and enjoy flying it safely. i also know where there is a lovely first phase beta 2 all the toys timed out april 2012... if you want one to rebuild this is the one if not buy a mid life one.

pm me if its of interest.

500e
25th Dec 2010, 11:09
Blades! Tank! limited life! well is it a cheap helicopterhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif

21lefthand
25th Dec 2010, 15:23
I'm with you Stringfellow.
I loved flying my R 22 and it was a good confidence builder flying in the same type I'd learnt in. Likewise with my R 44 now.If it wasnt for Robinsons I would find it difficult to fly.Notjing is without risk you take an informed view and make your choice.

FSXPilot
25th Dec 2010, 21:00
I guess it depends if you know many people that have been killed in them or not. I know more people that have died in R22s than in cars.

rotornut
25th Dec 2010, 21:18
I trained on a 300C. I love the machine but the time/life components are all over the place in terms of replacement times, not to mention the "on condition" parts. There is something to be said for the R 22 since everything goes to 2200 hrs..

Soave_Pilot
25th Dec 2010, 22:04
No doubt a piston Helo is far less reliable than a turbine, if you still want one, it will be tough finding a used R22 than hasn't been beat the crap out of it, because most of them are used for instruction and flown by many different pilots.
Even with all these cons, almost all accidents in these machines are caused by pilot error and/or lack of training and experience.

stringfellow
26th Dec 2010, 10:45
you take an informed view and you make your choice. very eloquently put thank you indeed. finally we have a balanced argument as opposed to the dismissal of the aircraft.. and yes most accidents are pilot related because its a really tough little beast to fly and im tired of people who claim its easy.

the bigger picture here is low time pilots come to this site for an informed view to make an informed decision,,, there's nothing informed about jumping on the robbie bashing bandwagon. im a low hours pilot who wants to learn, not because i want to fly as a job i cant think of anything worse but because i want to live.. and yes people get killed, i know plenty but every time there is an accident a hushed silence descends on this forum.

i love flying the 22 around but am always aware of it its, and particularly my limitations, and interestingly enough my family (with no aviation background at all) are not keen on me flying it. but you make an informed choice and if flown in the right environment by a competant pilot its a super ship.

Hughes500
26th Dec 2010, 10:49
Er rotornut whats the problem with a 300, first item is the engine at 1500 hrs. After that you have transmissions at 3000 hours, drive shafts at 3200 hours pitch shafts at 3600 hours tailboom and horizontal stab at 4000 hours, the rest of the parts are then from 4000 hours up to 17100 hours away ( cant be bothered to list them) thats an awful of lot of flying. By the time you change a 300's mast your R22 would have been rebuilt 6 times. Interesting question how many times as an R22 been rebuilt ?
I think you will find a lot of robbie parts are on condition, thats why they have 50, 100 hour annual checks.
Bear in mind very very few private owners fly 200 hours a year so they are giving their money away as the other makes dont have a 12 year / 2200 hour rebuild whether you have flown the hours or not !

stringfellow
26th Dec 2010, 11:00
hughes 500.... now there is my dream ac,,, the 500 where it all started for me long ago... il own one when im older!!!

but for now its fairweather round the coast in a 22!!

MartinCh
26th Dec 2010, 15:34
I guess it depends if you know many people that have been killed in them or not. I know more people that have died in R22s than in cars.
Exactly. It'd be hard to tell Martin Rutty's family the thing about people being killed in R22 due pilot error during training, being low time etc. Very sad indeed, recent events.

Hughes500
26th Dec 2010, 16:28
Stringfellow

If you are ever down in the SW let me know, I have a couple of them ! My favourite is a D model that I have had for 10 years dispite having had 3 E models sice !

gyrotyro
26th Dec 2010, 17:15
The H300 has its merits and I am not looking to knock them save for the very high engine speeds compared to an R22 that probably result in the lower TBO.

I have owned two of them and "Hughes 500" taught me to fly in one (Thank you Andrew). I have also owned an R22 Beta II and found it to be much less expensive to operate than the H300C.

Pound for pound also gets you a machine built closer to the year 2010 rather than 1950.

PENNINE BOY
26th Dec 2010, 18:07
Great little machine!

Faster than a 300 and far more pleasing to the eye as well, allso maintainance bills are cheaper.

It is a affordable helicopter to run, the new SBs that have come out for the 44 are going to add 6k on a rebuild, plus the increased insurance costs are going to take out alot of private owners running 44s.

Would love a turbine helicopter but it is far beyond my pockets!!!

So will stay with my 22s 85knots cruise on 30 lts of fuel per hour, with plenty of maintainance facillities around and a great service on parts from the importer!

PB

rotornut
26th Dec 2010, 19:55
Hughes 500
Ok, doesn't sound as bad as I thought. We owned a 269B and the replacement times, like I said , were all over the place - for instance M/R blades at 1366 hrs.. It seems they have much longer component replacement times in the "C" model. Unfortunately, ours had not been particularly well maintained so we got hit with big bills for "on condition" parts. Nevertheless, in spite of its slowness, I love the little "pissquick" as it's sometimes affectionately called here.

FairWeatherFlyer
26th Dec 2010, 23:03
No doubt a piston Helo is far less reliable than a turbine

How do you reach this wide-ranging conclusion about all aircraft with one type of engine vs all aircraft with another type of engine?

Whirlygig
26th Dec 2010, 23:16
More moving parts which can go wrong?

Cheers

Whirls

Hughes500
27th Dec 2010, 13:56
Rotornut
My apologies, didnt realise you were talking about a b model, their biggest problem is the old style blades, put a new set on and the blades are worth more than the machine !

rotornut
28th Dec 2010, 13:49
Hughes500
Actually I was referring to a "C" model. I got my license quite a while ago on a "C" which used the old style blades as well as a number of older components such as the M/R dampers. I'm obviously not up to date on the "C" which certainly has improved component times.

irishhelipilot
29th Dec 2010, 08:20
GT, relevant PM sent.
IHP.