PDA

View Full Version : Alternative jobs in aviation?

taildragger2
28th Jan 2001, 16:43
If you read any other threads you'll see I'm half way through JAA ATPL groundschool and hope to do my CPL GFT and FI(R) some time in late summer. My mind is set on instruction for a while for pocket money and hours but what's the score with parachute dropping , tug pilots or crop spaying etc. Information on any alternative jobs both in the UK and abroard would be appreciated along with license and/or ratings requirements. Cheers guys.................TD2

Max Pointers
30th Jan 2001, 00:15
I don't think you can spay crops, only Bitches, but if you can there may be non left by late summer!
Seriously, there is a pilot shortage, all the aviation media say so therefore it has to be true does'nt it.

BN2A
30th Jan 2001, 01:31
Wouldn't set your heart on parachute dropping, that's very much a 'who you know' game. They're not usually short of pilots. Anyway, I'm in front of you in the queue :) :) :)

STOL
31st Jan 2001, 18:07
Taildragger2.

Don’t be put off by BN2A’s comments on pursuing hour building by para dropping. Someone has to do it! I started my flying career with a little more than 150hrs flying a Cessna 207 for a club a have over 1400hrs as a skydiver driver, flying many types including C182, C206/7, PA32, BN2A, BN2TA and DHC6.

I was the C.P. of a fairly busy club, about 5 years ago, with two BN2A’s and was responsible for Pilot recruitment & training. BN2A’s comments of it being “who you know” is accurate to a certain extent due to the lack of commitment of many hour builders. Parachute flying is a “Skill” to do well fast, safely and efficiently without wrecking the aircraft and engine(s). The object to get to a fixed place at a fixed height and then get back on the ground in the shortest time possible. It is fixed revenue flying so if you take 10 minutes longer than the another pilot you are costing the club money but if you crack a cylinder descending to fast no one will thank you either.

It takes time to be of worth to a club and we often found that Cap 509 hour builders would get a couple of hundred hours and disappear. Commitment for at least a year is normally required. A few skydivers are gaining PPL’s and are obvious candidates for the Job as they have the insight of what is required and are likely to wish to continue flying for the club for many years

However some of the part time pilots we had were people who had built up their hours jump flying and now had airline jobs but still enjoyed the club atmosphere and hands on flying. We had a Virgin A340 Captain, A BA 747/4 F/o amongst others. We all had to start somewhere!

The Job can be quite demanding depending on which D.Z. you work at. A summer’s duty day although not strictly legal can be from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (Iam sure things have changed now) and weather permitting you can be flying all day with do it yourself refuels every 1 – 1.5 hours. Sandwiches, canned drinks, and peeing against the bowser on refuel. The next day you may be sitting around bored out of your skull with cloud base / wind or viz keeping you grounded. Dependent on the club the aircraft can be quite “interesting”! Most clubs operate on private category C of A and SOME carry a very long deferred defects list. Although it is allegedly VFR sport in the U.K. you would very rarely get to altitude without going I.M.C. for some of the time. Thankfully most clubs have G.P.S. fitted now. The job can also get a bit tedious droning up to 12K all day but static line students break the monotony. Again most clubs will expect you to muck in on the day to day running of things. A busy club can have an excellent social scene but remember you may well have to fly all the next day!

The money is Cr** , lucky to get £150:00 a week with a roof over your head. Part time. Nothing is the norm. You definitely need a sense of humour.
The B.P.A. jump pilot manual gives a good insight into what the Jobs aboutand also experience requirements. There is a list of all the BPA & affiliated centres at: http://www.bpa.org.uk/

Why not visit your local D.Z. (best on a bad weather day) and have a chat with the C.P. or duty Pilot. If you can do the job / fit in and commit yourself your in with a chance. On a career point of view you would be better off getting in with one of the regionals but I don’t regret one minute of being a skydiver driver. If you want any other info you can E-Mail me. Good luck with your ATP’s and finding the first elusive Job!

No disrespect to you BN2A. Out of interest are you a current jump pilot / BN2A driver or a hopeful?

Regards

STOL

BN2A
31st Jan 2001, 21:53
STOL,
I take your points, but from what I have seen, it is unlikely that a flying position will be offered to someone who 'pops in to ask'.
I am an experienced skydiver of 600+ jumps, and nearly 8 years in the sport. I am also on the final leg of an integrated flying course to obtain a CPL/IR with Frozen ATPL. I'll be flying B757's in a few months. My intention is to fly 'for fun' as it will be hands on, in elastic band powered aeroplanes.
My view of parachuting has mainly been of 'weekend' centres, which a majority of centres are in this country. I'm hoping to get my hands on an Islander ASAP, but that's down to a 'who I know' situation. The people I may do some flying for have already got pilots (none of which are 'hour builders'), and I do not expect to be flying every time I'm there. I could see anybody unknown to the staff having their request laughed at as they drove home again.. Hence my comments to Taildragger2. I'm sure most weekend centres would have the same situation.
7-day a week centres, (and from your comments STOL, did you fly at a DZ in Kent??) that's another matter. But then most DZ's in this country operate 'Eastern Bloc' aircraft that come with their own crews.
In summary, I think it highly unlikely that a position will be offered to someone who is unknown. BUT, if you don't ask, you don't get. If you DO get, TD2, then enjoy it. It's a great sport to be involved with. Just remember the 'Eight hours bottle to throttle' rule... Skydivers are a notoriously thirsty bunch.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)