PDA

View Full Version : schweizer 333 v's MD500e

fluffy5
23rd Dec 2010, 00:27
Merry christmas to all.
There is a descision to be made about getting a few 333's or going for the MD500e. Out here in the middle east they are needed for training.
I am looking at maintenance issues with each type and the servicibility from the manufacturer.
Also in the desert we add about 40% onto the maintenance cost due to the harsh enviroment.
I know the saudi's for their cadet program are using 333's, are there any guys in Jeddah flying these aircraft to give us a heads up.

Cost is not a problem for these type of aircraft, and personally I would always go for the MD500e.

Is there anyone from TAMS in the UK who operate 333's can enlighten me about any teething problems.

Also last point does anybody know which of these you can strap an air con onto.

cheers

fluffy

Hughes500
23rd Dec 2010, 07:19
Tams gave up on 333's for all sorts of reasons including they couldnt fly in the rain ( probably not worried about that !)
Never sure it is a good idea putting so much power through what is effectively a 300 !!!
I run 500's and S300's no maintenance issues from the factories concerning spares on either.

PANews
23rd Dec 2010, 07:45
The Saudi aircraft are not currently flying a great deal, its a pilotage/manpower/training technique issue rather than one relating to the airframe. I understand training of the local would be pilots has not gone particularly well.

TAMS has been off the radar for a year now.

I may have missed it but I do not think the 434 is yet civil certified but the Saudi's do not need that. There are a few operators of the 333 but it is not in widespread use. That puts you at the [not so difficult] decision point of tried and tested or unproven.

fly911
23rd Dec 2010, 11:35
Can't fly in the rain? What's up with that? By the way, is there a float kit for the 333?

Ian Corrigible
23rd Dec 2010, 12:26
Bryn,

Civil cert now expected in December 2011 (http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/sikorsky-to-start-s-434-certification-tests-in-january-26596/) - was originally expected by May 2009 (http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2008/hai08.html).

I/C

Hughes500
23rd Dec 2010, 20:39
Fly 911
UK S333 had monster blade delamination and were stopped from flying in the rain ! Really pissed off National Grid the customer

fluffy5
24th Dec 2010, 02:08
Thanks for some heads up, out here we train the military cadets in the UAE.
95% of it all on B206, but we did have 3 R44 raven2's. we got the first award from robinson for the most hostile enviroment, the tail rotors and mainrotors do not last long, also 7 engine failures due to fuel vapourisation in the fuel line because of the heat.
Thanks for the above inputs and also the private messaging.
The powers that be may go the way of the saudi's as they are all deeply in involved with sikorsky.

fluffy