PDA

View Full Version : get wrecked on great kepel island

Aerodynamisist
22nd Dec 2010, 23:15
Any truth to the rumour that a 182rg got wrecked on great kepel last weekend ? hope all are safe and well.

wateroff
22nd Dec 2010, 23:54
Dunno, but I know the spa was in 200-mm something:E

B58
23rd Dec 2010, 00:43
Yep is true. Was going passed when the beacon went off. All walked away OK..

kingtoad
23rd Dec 2010, 01:43
Some links

Four survive plane crash on Great Keppel Island (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/four-survive-plane-crash-on-great-keppel-island-20101220-1927p.html)

Light plane crashes on Great Keppel Island - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/18/3096703.htm)

ryanboxer
23rd Dec 2010, 04:35
thats interesting:

1) A call comes in of a plane crash, but no injures - we immediately send a rescue helicopter

2) A call comes in of a car crash, status needs to be confirmed before we send any appliances whether police, ambos, fire or a chopper

Tax payers money put to good use

Captain Nomad
23rd Dec 2010, 05:30
Yeah, well imagine if a chopper WAS sent for every road accident... A lot more tax payer's money for fender benders that's for sure.

Chance of serious injury in EVERY plane crash - very high. Given the extent of damage to the aircraft in this crash, the four occupants were extremely fortunate in this instance.

By the way, just because someone can walk away from the initial crash doesn't mean they are not injured. Sometimes people walk away only to drop dead a few hours later due to undiagnosed internal injuries. A paramedic on the scene early on for diagnosis is well justified in my opinion. Oh, and you can't just send an Ambulance across to Great Keppel very easily either. :rolleyes:

Jamair
23rd Dec 2010, 07:09
FYI..... in Qld, ALL reports of a road traffic crash ARE responded to by ambulance, unless authoritative advice from a verifiable source is received. Also, helicopters ARE responded to all reports of air or road crashes that are not immediately accessible (in time or location) by road crews.

VH-XXX
23rd Dec 2010, 07:21
1) A call comes in of a plane crash, but no injures - we immediately send a rescue helicopter

Great Keppel ISLAND - there's no police and ambulances there and it's not connected to Yeppoon via a bridge. Alternatively you can catch a ferry to go over and rescue the occupants. Without a chopper, the cops and or authorities would have to catch the ferry over; now that would be a waste of time and resources.

ryanboxer
23rd Dec 2010, 08:16
missing the point, but duely noted

Runaway Gun
23rd Dec 2010, 09:31
Missing the point? Do you need Running Rabbit Lead-In Lighting?

Super Cecil
23rd Dec 2010, 09:56
The ATSB said
During a missed approach, the landing gear wheels clipped trees before the aircraft impacted the ground

Is that code for a beat up and hit trees? :8

Capt Fathom
23rd Dec 2010, 10:16
I'm with Ryanboxer! You all missed the point!

Chance of serious injury in EVERY plane crash - very high...NO

Chance of serious injury in EVERY car crash - very high! ....YES

Helicopter Rescue Services are fantastic. But they also need to keep up appearances to get their funding! aka Advertising.

VH-XXX
23rd Dec 2010, 10:16
The beat-up code words these days is, "there was a black dog on the runway, so I had to go around."

Captain Nomad
23rd Dec 2010, 11:07
With respect Capt Fathom, I chose my words carefully. 'Every plane CRASH' - not forced landing or every emergency - yes, the risk in a CRASH is very high.

Chance of serious injury in EVERY car crash - very high! ....YES

So a crash at 20kph in a car with ABS brakes, airbags, side-intrusion bars, shatter resistant glass, crumple zones, inertial locking seatbelts etc carries the same risk as a 1970's aircraft crashing into rugged terrain at 120kph?

i.dingbat
23rd Dec 2010, 21:39
A good friend of mine got up and walked away after his hang-glider folded up mid-air. He literally dropped dead within a minute. Absolutely right on the possibility of internal injuries.

Good to see everyone's OK in this instance.

Aerodynamisist
26th Dec 2010, 08:07
Don't know what your on about, I like to hear that a chopper was sent out. In the past I have helped to raise a big pile of dollars our comrades in the rescue hellicopter caper so it's good to see them coming to our aid. I hope you prune dingbats arn't sugesting it's a bad idea to send out a chopper because it could be you tomorrow !