PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm not a pilot yet I seek a new job.

GeorgeCluney
21st Dec 2010, 14:54
Help! Your suggestions are sought.

Thanks for reading. Your suggestions are sought for a 48 year old Movement Controller appreciative of having had a full time job in the game for 28 years since being a licensed Load Controller from the TAA days of 727s, DC9s and F27s. As final loadsheets are now delivered remotely via ACARS to the 737s and 767s due to regionalised Load Control and as my license has now long surpassed .. I'm all at sea. I direct aircraft where to park (a no brainer), yet I'm no longer in touch with my pilot mates where I could help with MBRW negotiations and calculations given temps, altitudes and local knowledge.

I wanna new job where I can make a difference! Never thought I'd consider a government job, but please direct me from your thoughts as to where a "mature aged student" might seek employment in order to make a difference.

Kind regards to all whom may have read,

George C.

vee tail
21st Dec 2010, 21:00
What bout CASA.:E

apache
21st Dec 2010, 21:39
what about in a flight planning/performance department for an airline?
or maybe working for Jeppesen, or similar?

Aerodynamisist
22nd Dec 2010, 04:11
Most local councils need airport managers. easy work in the right place.

Jabawocky
22nd Dec 2010, 05:42

And many of them could do with somebody who knew a thing or two about aviation! :)

YPJT
22nd Dec 2010, 10:56
I'll second the previous two posts. Airport manager of a regional airport is one of the best gigs going. Positions come up fairly often.

Plow King
22nd Dec 2010, 11:03
Quote:

And many of them could do with somebody who knew a thing or two about aviation!

Case in point - Mildura........

training wheels
22nd Dec 2010, 11:28
Didn't Qantas and Jetstar recently advertised for Dispatch Officers?

Have a look here;

Qantas careers - Home (http://www.careers.qantas.com.au/)

YPJT
22nd Dec 2010, 14:06
There's a few gigs going on Seek.com.au.

Code89
22nd Dec 2010, 17:47
i have viewed some Flight dispatch job advertisements and noticed that knowledge in CPL theory subjects is one of the requirements, fair enough

Now if someone with "non-pilot" aviation experience wants to work as a Flight Dispatcher or something similar, with no intention of flying will obviously need to pass the CPL theory exams, pre-requisite of which is the BAK exam.

Question-1
the BAK if done self study (to save some $$$) where and how will the exam be attended and how will the log book be endorsed to show it to ASL?

Question-2
after some limited research on the CASA website i got confused at this ....

2.8.2. (a) A student pilot must have accumulated at least 5 hours dual flying training before he/she may be credited with a pass in the BAK examination.

does this person with no intention of flying an aircraft will be required to do so in order to qualify for the CPL theory exam?

Question-3
is there any exception for such persons?

Please advise......need this info desperately

one dollar short
22nd Dec 2010, 23:37
Also just thinking outside the box a little...

I know its not for everyone, but maybe the mines might be the way to go...

Plenty of them see more traffic then a lot of regional airports and require some form of ARO, or supervisor for dispatch of aircraft/ground handling. Not forgetting that a lot of places see several 40 ton aircraft movements during a day....

The shifts certainly are not for everyone, but the money is there..

best of luck.

YPJT
23rd Dec 2010, 02:02
One Dollar Short,
Most of the mines don't have dedicated aviation personnel running the airports. It is usually cleaners, maintenance, and perhaps EMO personnel that attend the airport to do ARO and ground handling duties.

Some of the bigger mining outfits like FMG and Rio do have dedicated aviation staff but only on their larger air fields and in small numbers the jobs are usually quickly filled.

wtfia
24th Dec 2010, 06:52
Speaking of the mines, Im sorry for the drift..

I am a pilot and Im seeking a new job. 15 yrs in this game and enough is enough. Anyone know a way of getting onto the dump trucks? (Im too old to offside again). Everywhere I look it's "experience only". Can anyone with any inside knowledge please pm me?

YPJT
25th Dec 2010, 01:07
wtfia,
check ya PMs.