PDA

View Full Version : where to live near Manchester

Pilot Pete
27th Jan 2001, 03:19
New job out of Manchester starting in a weeks time. Looking for all you 'Northerners' to offer a bit of advice on where to live, probably to rent for 6 months then to buy.

Me, the wife and two pre-school boys (my sons, not rent!) Prefer south, south east of the airport for family in Staffordshire, so come on guys tell me about where is nice, where is not so nice, where is 'Beckham' country (ie out of our price range! and the wife prefers her knickers to stay at home!)

Thanks for your thoughts, and no doubt your humour!

PP

The Hooded Claw
27th Jan 2001, 17:15
Steer clear of Wilmslow and Alderley Edge if you want to avoid Beckham country.

Also don't go north of the Manchester ship canal although it is a bit cheaper there.

Anywhere in Cheshire is OK really. If you want south then try Knutsford, Goostrey or Holmes Chapel.

I was in your position a year ago. After a bit of a search we settled for Lymm. It's 10 miles to the airport and is a great village with a few shops and lots of places to eat etc. We rented for 6 months and have just bought a place. If you are interested, there is a rental agencey in the village called Cheshire Housing Management. Their number is 01925 756449.

Good luck!!

Cuban_8
27th Jan 2001, 18:32
Pete,

Have to go with HC on that one - some of the North Cheshire country type villages such as Knutsford, Sandbatch and Holmes Chapel will impress you I'm sure! You shouldn't have much of a problem renting around there either, and from anywhere in that region, the airport is <30 mins travel.

Further North and you are broaching on the city itself - cheaper, but in my opinion, not as nice! Depends what you are used too I suppose - urban life or country life. Of course, the best thing to do is come and have a good luck!!

Best of luck in your house hunting,

Cuban_8

Pilot Pete
28th Jan 2001, 00:30
Thanks guys

That gives us something to work from. How about east into The Peak District/ Derbyshire. Anybody?

PP

The Hooded Claw
28th Jan 2001, 00:58
It's all nice up in the peaks, but getting to work can be a bit fiddley. You can get in from the Glossop area in about 40 minutes, but the traffic can be hell at times. I'd like to move out there myself eventually, but I don't like the idea of a long drive to work again. Maybe I ought to go long haul!

cossack
28th Jan 2001, 16:02
Peak District is great. But I live there, I would say that wouldn't I?
You get much more house for your cash.
Less traffic (touristy spots like Castleton excepted) and it only takes 40 minutes from Buxton (less than 25 miles e/w) going cross country, with no traffic hold ups until you get close to the airport, and then at peak times only.
Only encountered snow-closed roads once this winter but there are several low-level alternatives available.
Half-hourly bus service to the airport, 20 hours a day from Buxton if you don't feel like driving, takes about an hour via Stockport.
Personally, I wouldn't live in the lowlands again. There's much more character up here in th' 'ills!
Best of luck
(typos)

[This message has been edited by cossack (edited 28 January 2001).]

Buzz Lightyear
28th Jan 2001, 16:25
Cheshire housing management is a friend of mine,ask for Ken Chambers, and as I live in Lymm I can also recommend it as a place to live.Its a fantastically friendly "real" village and the Spread Eagle does a really good pint.Hooded claw,thanx for the help on the gliding question,maybe see you for a pint.

alosaurus
29th Jan 2001, 01:14
Try Davenham and adjacent part of Moulton.A couple of miles south of Northwich these are nice villages with good primary schools.Five miles from motorway,twenty from base.Good house prices due to the well out of date image of Northwich.

Ella
30th Jan 2001, 02:37
Draw a line from Chester to Chelford to Macclesfield and look at all points south.

Peaks give good value for money, but when I nearly bought a house in Winkle I was told to park the car in October, and expect to dig it out in February!

Congleton has come up in price recently, but is still only 30 mins drive, (45min at peak hours) it still represents good value for money. Not the prettiest town in Britain, but 100% functional.

Welcome to the Polar Bear land!

The Hooded Claw
31st Jan 2001, 22:18
Buzz - let me know when you're going to be in the pub, and I might just join you if I'm not working. Problem is, how will I recognise you, I don't know the PPRuNe funny handshake!

Mr. Fussy
3rd Feb 2001, 21:06
Pete,

Would definately recommend somewhere like Sandbach, Holmes Chapel, Macclesfield, Alsager. Nice places, right close to the M6 to get to the airport (not noisy though)!
Prices can be reasonable depending what you want and where?
Let us know where you decide!

6th Feb 2001, 23:37
Living on the outskirts of Stoke-on-Trent never did me any harm, and the accommodation is very cheap. Kidsgrove and Congleton are very close to M6, be in manc. in around 40 minutes.
Alternatively, on the more expensive scale, I highly recommend Altrincham and Knutsford.

togaroo
7th Feb 2001, 13:18
Claw,
If you are in the spread - you wont miss Buzz if he's in there - which at the moment could be quite often. He's not ppruning at the moment cause he has a virus in the computer department and the last I saw of it - was not good.

Just remember that Sale are the best Rugby team in this part of the hemisphere and that bitter tastes best!

cheers
togaroo

The Hooded Claw
7th Feb 2001, 15:04
Uggh - that virus sounds nasty. I've not been in the spread eagle for a while. I'll have to get one of those PPRuNe badges and sit in the corner waiting for a response.

So, the bitter tastes bast in Sale does it? Sounds like a good enough excuse for a trip out to sample the stuff!

Hey - Pilot Pete, I notice from another thread that you're starting with JMC on the 757. I'm just about to start my 757 course with Britannia so if you've any top tips I'd be interested to know them!

And if you're not already convinced, this is the place to live - are there any more local PPRuNers out there? Looks like we could have enough for our own bash.

steve757
8th Feb 2001, 01:15
Yup, Northwich.

Sale bitter might be OK, but the rugby team...

Northwich has an out of date feel to it but, some good pubs, all the amenities you could ask for and the house value has increased 50% in 26 months.

jetset747
8th Feb 2001, 04:45
South of the airfield is definitely best, try Berkshire.

airgeezer
8th Feb 2001, 04:56
Tried both north Manchester and Berks, didn`t like either but at least Manchester is closer to the home of premierleague football clubs. (liverpool is just 30 miles to the west)

Tricky Woo
9th Feb 2001, 14:20
What colour are your wellies?

If they're green like God made 'em, then there's a lot to be said for Alderley Edge and parts of Knutsford. Avoid Mobberley due to (ahem) noise from the new runway.

If you don't own any wellies, or simply don't understand the question, then the urban thrills of Didsbury or Heaton Mersey are for you.

Elsewhere? There be shattered wasteland where dragons roam freely...

Doors to Automatic
9th Feb 2001, 15:14
I lived in Broadbottom near Glossop for almost a year - beautiful place and within easy reach of the airport particularly if you are not travelling in the rush hour. Also it is well out of Manchester and is therefore much less prone to crime.

The only problem is the weather - the place is 40% wetter than Manchester believe it or not. The Summer I was there (1998) it never stopped raining and my girlfriend aptly christened it as "Broadbottom - the place where the sun don't shine"!!

airbuddie
9th Feb 2001, 17:06
Anywhere in South Manchester really.
Altricham area
Didsbury
Heald Green
Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall, Wilmslow area
But be prepared to pay a little bit more for these areas

3 bed semi's start from about £110,000

Good luck

1.3VStall
9th Feb 2001, 20:10
Pilot Pete,

I concur with most of the previous posts re Cheshire. Have a look at Chelford (and some of the villages nearby) - surrounded by pleasant countryside.

There is a nice "executive" estate with house sizes and prices to suit most pockets. It has good local shops/schools. It is only 15 mins from the M6, both northbound (J19) and southbound (J18). You have the choice of three local market towns: Knutsford, Wilmslow and Macclesfield all less than 7 miles away. There are good department stores/supermarkets within 15 minutes drive at Handforth Dean. There are some excellent local hostelries. Finally there is a railway station on the Manchester-Crewe line with a very reliable local service. (And if you're into trucks Chelford is the HQ of James Irlam & Sons - Haulage, Storage and Distribution!).

I went through the same exercise as you some years ago when I moved "oop North". We ended up near Chelford and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. It only takes 30 minutes to MAN on a bad day (15 minutes in the anti-social hours!).

Good luck.

Blindside
10th Feb 2001, 03:38
Pilot Pete

Hale, Didsbury, Heaton Moor, Marple.

Hale and Didsbury are rather pricey, the other two are less so but are getting there.

The comment regarding the weather is correct, when I moved here I was seen as an optomist for purchasing garden furniture.

cheers

ANDLO
12th Feb 2001, 23:23
Altrincham/Sale areas OK, good schools in the environs and all good aspects of the city easily accessible just a tram ride away...

Living nr Brooklands cricket club(or whatever it's called now) used to drive it in 7 mins at anti social times.

Wonder if Onan appreciates this thread?

brianmay
18th Feb 2001, 03:39
Having lived in Poynton for 3 years (and moved) you'd better like 4 wheel drive cars (that never even see a muddy puddle) and have a BMW as a second banger.

There can be a very funny attitudes in those parts recommended. Depends on what you compare it with perhaps.

Might just be me though.

BillTheCoach
18th Feb 2001, 19:46
Try Poynton - 15 mins from airport on edge of Stockport and the Peaks and not the silly
Wilmslo/Alderley Edge prices.

Huge M&S/Tesco and John Lewis/Sainsburys nearby as well as close enough 30 mins to central manchester for concerts etc.

Especially go for 'Bird Estate' (it's a private one not council) lots of airport folk there and a really good atmosphere .

Good luck house hunting

Chaos
22nd Feb 2001, 01:53
Also try villages down the A49. Weaverham, Cuddington and Sandiway are cracking places to live and are 25 minutes drive from the airport - they are also an easier drive as you join the M56 and cruise to jn 5 rush hour add 10-15 mins.
Fairly rural but the wilds of Cheshire only 10 mins away. Prices alot more reasonable than further east but yet easy travel times, its only a matter of time before more people catch on.