PDA

View Full Version : RAF:- A time for reflection:

Spot 4
20th Dec 2010, 11:09
The official document available via the link below is just 18 months old and I dare say was written in good faith at the time. However it is also a significant reminder for all to note just how much the RAF has changed in such a short period of time, and how many Senior Officers remain in charge of the little that is left. The complimentary remarks about Nimrod and how it and ASTOR is highly valued. :yuk: How we hold staff in high regard and value everyone from recruit to veteran :yuk:

....compared to a pay freeze, deteriation of basic allowances, and redundancy of both 'highly valued hardware and staff'.
Link:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/F541BCE6_5056_A318_A8B45569F7BDE5D2.pdf

I would'nt want to be the editor of the next Bulletin.

"Our strength is in our people who should be properly trained, and valued, to ensure maximum retention. Our recruitment and training machines have to continue to pull in and turn out the best people. Those recruits require finely honed skills, an understanding of the history and ethos of the RAF and, above all, an operational focus and a willingness to meet the challenges of life in a ‘war-fighting’ service."

Tallsar
20th Dec 2010, 11:16
I do wonder what, if anything, would have triggered any AFB resignations against these previous "matters of principle"....perhaps the total removal of their pensions?:ugh:

Spot 4
20th Dec 2010, 11:19
Who would have predicted in 1990 that the Nimrod, a maritime patrol and antisubmarine aircraft, would make such a significant contribution in irregular warfare as an overland tactical reconnaissance platform.

...and who would have predicted that before the end of 2010 we would not have Nimrod nor any long range SAR, MCT, or anti-submarine aircraft.

sidewayspeak
20th Dec 2010, 11:32
These kind of publications are just mouse-music pushed out by self-serving puppets on the career treadmill. Propaganda that nobody actually believes anymore.

The economy is going to get really, really bad next year. So those of you still in should take the MOD for everything you can, whilst giving back as little as you can get away with - short of putting your mates in the vice. The MOD's loyalty is only one way. Time to resolve that: can the 'can do'; stuff the 'no I in Team'; b**ll**ks to the party-line.

Time to focus on the 'me'.

Ken Scott
20th Dec 2010, 12:13
...and who would have predicted that before the end of 2010 we would not have Nimrod nor any long range SAR, MCT, or anti-submarine aircraft.

Not entirely, we have the mighty C130J mounting round-the-clock SAR cover! Perhaps if we equipped it with depth charges that could be rolled off the ramp it could cover the ASW role!

QTRZulu
20th Dec 2010, 13:01
Ken

I trust you are taking the p##s with your last statement regarding 24H SAR cover or have you too swallowed this Governments propoganda?

The Herc is not there to provide 24H SAR cover outright, it is just one of the tasks it can be called upon to do so long as its not busy doing anything else

Ken Scott
20th Dec 2010, 13:32
I thought my posting was blatantly with tongue firmly in cheek, but it was clearly too subtle for some....

The C130J will do its best, but it's not designed for the role and it's only if the aircraft can be spared. Ok just about for a stopgap prior to the arrival of the MRA4 but a gross dereliction of duty by this perfidious coalition government for the long term. And will the A400M take over as it replaces the J? With only 22 frames to cover all its tasks? Sooner or later there's going to be a major incident which the French can't/ won't cover and the UK is going to look supremely foolish, or worse.

Happy Christmas all!

Geehovah
20th Dec 2010, 13:42
But with such drastic cuts it can't be long before we "come second". Sadly that may be the only wake up call as I don't expect the next Adolf will announce his or her intentions as loudly.

Melchett01
20th Dec 2010, 14:15
How about the VSOs in charge reflect on the fact that along with the various other cuts and capability holidays, the trust of those under their command and their own credibility have also been consigned to a capability holiday?

And frankly, it will be easier to resurrect some of our now deleted capabilities than it will to resurrect that trust in the eyes of many who have to live with the consequences of these decisions being made in some swish office in Whitehall.

Sad to say, but unfortunately true. I bet that doesn't make it into the next edition of this publication.

Jabba_TG12
20th Dec 2010, 14:37
Tallsar, I completely agree. I think we'll be waiting for a very long time.:rolleyes:

Neptunus Rex
20th Dec 2010, 17:25
Hi Ken,

My miniscule claim to fame is that I was the last RAF pilot to drop a stick of live depth charges. It was in 1973, when I was on exchange in Australia, flying Neptunes. I believe the RAF had stopped using DCs by 1970.

STANDTO
21st Dec 2010, 16:40
I wasn't in long enough to become disillusioned, but know just a couple of years later, as Options for Change kicked in, the rot simultaneously set in. After a subsequent twenty years in policing, where there has been very much the enduring dynamic of change, at least (until now) numbers have generally gone up rather than down. Ultimately the point will be reached where there is indeed no point, in having a separate air power asset, and it must be re-absorbed back into the Army. That said, I remember someone somewhere suggesting it was all absorbed into the Navy, forming a British Marine Corps. Much as I loved my chosen service, there is a part of me that wishes someone would just get on with it and do what is needed.

As for reflection, I am sure we can all picture moments in time that no review will ever diminish.

sad times ahead, but happy memories. :{

alisoncc
22nd Dec 2010, 10:11
So how long before this "Military Aircrew" board gets moved by PoP to the "Aviation History and Nostalgia" one? Give it a year or so perhaps. Sad days indeed. :{

Siggie
22nd Dec 2010, 11:48
http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af197/Philaitch/RAF.png

STANDTO
22nd Dec 2010, 20:21
Damien Hirst would have got a million for that.

V Clever

BEagle
22nd Dec 2010, 21:42
But shouldn't it have that ridiculous sloping 'A' thing?