PDA

View Full Version : Boris Island

Masai
19th Dec 2010, 20:16
The best thing that the UK could do is to press on and build Boris Island and put this old airport at Heathrow out of its misery. The new airport should be British owned and operated - the idea of selling our infrastructure to anyone who can borrow enough money to buy it is not resulting in a good operation.

ex-FFSLF
19th Dec 2010, 21:44
I know that the Moderators don't like SLF - not even old lags like me who began in Rapides and graduated on the Argonaut and VC10 - to get on this Forum but Heathrow is just BAD even on a good day ... and I just wonder if Captains can maybe try and put up a bit more flak about it now and again on the side of their passengers ?

Meanwhile I just don't now if Cathay can get my son home via Heathrow for Christmas ... but I met an old friend from Germany the other day at T1 who used his mobile to say he'd had to sit down on the way to Immigration and Customs ... he was shattered ... just had got no idea how far he'd have to walk.

I think it hits us older people because there is a sudden activity after such a long time when you could not move at all. I dare say it's true that old folk ought not to go up in the air ... but unless you have a new IATA and treble the fares I am afraid that we often do ...

Locked door
19th Dec 2010, 22:04
I agree completely. Heathrow is my home base and it's an utter disgrace. Conspiracy theorists might suggest BAA make more money from stranded pax than flying aircraft. So would Boris Island be any better?

LD

Skipness One Echo
20th Dec 2010, 09:07
The best thing that the UK could do is to press on and build Boris Island

Plus the added billions of contingency needed to handle the snow for next year you seriously think a concrete island in a nature reserve on the wrong side of London from Heathrow's core markets is a good idea?

It would still be in Britain and probably end up cut off when it snowed more often than LHR. Are you suggesting the government pick up the tab? ie the public?

keel beam
20th Dec 2010, 09:33
The UK could move LHR to AMS or FRA. It would be a cheaper way to lose passengers rather than build an airport in the middle of nowhere, then lose your passengers!