PDA

View Full Version : Sabena / Manchester - "Thanks for the 360"

EGCC Rwy 24
28th Apr 2001, 19:08
This morning, a Sabena flight flew a very tight downwind leg for 24R, followed by a tight base leg leading to a final of around two miles.

Just after landing his radio call was "thanks for the 360".

My attention was initially drawn by the sight of an aircraft passing over my house at an altitude (a calculated guess) of 600 feet.

Anyone know what had happened before? It could have been a standard go-around. There was a lot of CB cloud on the approach which could explain the two mile final - any longer and he would have been in it!

Cheers

EGCC Rwy 24
29th Apr 2001, 23:33
Cossack et al ..... any ideas?

G-BPEC
30th Apr 2001, 21:25
Hi EGCC,

Not sure about this one, its only a guess because I didn't see this happen. A while ago, a Lufthansa 737 was on approach, finals at about 2 miles, when suddenly he veered off to the right, maintaining alitutude of about 900feet whilst doing a small circuit to the right... the reason was that he was too fast and was losing speed. It was quiet at the time, and it was a year or so ago, but I suppose its a possibility... instead of a full GA it could have just been a loop. Bet it gave Woodford a fright!

G-BPEC

Scottie Dog
1st May 2001, 00:15
G-BPEC

If the Lufthansa was high and fast I assume that he would have been doing a 'straight in' down the 24 ILS. In which case if he did a right-hand orbit to lose the height then it would not have effected Woodford in anyway at all.

Sorry to be pedantic!

Scottie Dog

cossack
1st May 2001, 08:39
Sorry can't help. I'm in Vancouver!!! :) :) :)
Oh and Mrs C isn't too impressed that I'm prooning here!!!

G-BPEC
1st May 2001, 11:22
Scottie,

My mistake, he veered to the left, not the right. Time to get the red and blue socks on again, methinks!

G-BPEC

Golden Monkey
1st May 2001, 17:01
Shouldn't that be red and green? :)

Scottie Dog
1st May 2001, 23:13
G-BPEC

Don't worry, I remember I had the same problem a few years ago myself - but I did recall that I had the port in my left hand!

I seem to recall that an EI 146 did a similar left hand 360 a few years ago and without any prior warning to ATC - caused a bit of confusion.

Cossack

Have a great time in YVR and give my best to Abbotsford. Must go and visit my sister next year - that is I must go and visit her.

Regards

Scottie Dog

------------------
Happiness is a runway without a hump - 06R/24L

EGCC Rwy 24
1st May 2001, 23:25
Cossack - hope you are having a good break!

Yep, after a quick check out of the window at the 24R ILS - Woodford is left, my house is right!

Cheers

cossack
2nd May 2001, 05:56
Thanks for the good wishes.
I'll be back to the Tower at the end of the month. :)
I hope the taxiway closures aren't causing too many problems!
Good time to take leave, eh! Oh God the Canadian accent has kicked in already. May just have to stay......

LUM
2nd May 2001, 18:17
From the SN cockpit voice recorder:

Captain: Let's make a 360 and get out of here..
Co-pilot: Roger, sir, left or right?

Sorry I couldn't resist...