PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed from Ex-Mil RW pilots...

greenhaven
18th Dec 2010, 10:33
I have just been medically discharged (completely unexpectedly) from the RN (expected Tx Date was January 2024, now April 2011!) and would really appreciate the advice of anyone here on my options.

About me:
1400hrs Merlin / Sea King ASW Pilot (IRI, EWI, HWI/AVWO, AC Cdr, etc but not QHI) - I am aware I am below 'Bridging Hours' requirements
Flying a desk since Jan '07 in an aviation-related teaching job
Medical invaliding due to one-off seafood allergic reaction in Dec 06 resulted last month in twin pilot restriction imposed by Medical Board who were entirely happy to keep me, then not making it through subsequent Employability Board (think SDSR cull may have played a part..:sad:)

I'm appealing the decision (board sits in Jan) but I need to spin up options sharpish. Currently looking at EVERYTHING and what to do with resettlement and medical gratuity/pension. As helicopters are pretty much all I know, i'm looking at civilian options.

1. Any thoughts on food allergies and CAA class 1 Medicals? (I eat a langoustine, I may swell up; I don't eat one, I'm fine...)
2. Not flown since '07 - how much of a factor will this be?
2. Training routes available pre-Bridging Hours - guessing CPL(H) which I'd be more than happy with!
3. Where do I start??

I apologise for being necky and coming across like a 'wannabe' but i'm not and I don't have the luxury of time to make some fairly crucial life-changing decisions. I need all the help I can get..

Thanks,

GH

212man
18th Dec 2010, 11:42
GH,
I suggest you call the CAA medical department at Gatwick on Monday - assuming they are not closed for the holidays - and ask about allergies directly. Failing that, find a local AME from the CAA website and ask the same question. My gut feeling is that at worst you'll get a two pilot restriction ("as or with co-pilot".)

However, without the facts you can't make a decision, and unless someone here has been in the same situation I'd be wary of following any speculation you might encounter. That's a polite way of saying don't pay attention to uninformed bollocks!

Sorry to hear of your plight and good luck!

paco
18th Dec 2010, 12:00
check your pms

phil

Agaricus bisporus
18th Dec 2010, 13:11
And if what the CAA say isn't to your liking look it up in the appropriate publication, the criteria are listed and the CAA are not always correct in their judgements, or can interpret things in a way that can be argued against.

A consultation with a sympatheric AME would be the next step if you needed to argue the case. Good luck, I'm sure someone here will refer you to the correct publication and PM me if you need that AME, I know just the man.

greenhaven
18th Dec 2010, 13:45
Chaps - thanks very much.

I will try on Monday - as usual, these things always happen over the holidays!

GH