PDA

View Full Version : UK Micro-Chip Passports

wowzz
17th Dec 2010, 20:56
I recently became the proud 'owner' of a new UK micro-chip passport, and was able to use it for the first time when arriving at STN this week. After 4 or 5 aborted attempts, with and without the help of the hovering official I had to go through the normal 'human' check.
On my purely non-scientific observations, I would estimate that 50% of those trying to use the new technology failed.
Can anyone tell me what the successs rate is for new passports, and why my passport, plus [it would appear] many others, do not work?

YorkshireTyke
17th Dec 2010, 21:26
Can anyone tell me what the successs rate is for new passports, and why my passport, plus [it would appear] many others, do not work?

'cos they're 'computerised'.

I'm surprised that you're surprised.

barry lloyd
17th Dec 2010, 21:46
I go through Lisbon regularly, and mine works perfectly there. I suspect it's the usual British government problem of buying something which doesn't work properly and letting the general public do the proving. It didn't work coming through Heathrow recently, however. :rolleyes:

Di_Vosh
19th Dec 2010, 04:15
We've had them in Oz for a while now and they work great! :ok:

DIVOSH!

Dan Winterland
19th Dec 2010, 05:52
Used the new machines at MAN recently when we had a short visit to my Sister in Italy while on a vist to the UK. Of four of us, only one worked! My wife's passport was fine, It didn't like my passport (prorbably due to the fact it's a bit tatty due to use everyday in my work as aircrew) my youngest son was too young (would have been nice to be informed of that before joining the queue) and my eldest son was too tall to use the scanner!

Contrast this with my new home, Hong Kong, where we put our ID cards in a machine, scan our thumprints and were through in about ten seconds, both in and out.

After one of the worst flights I have ever taken with any airline (A low cost carrier - although low cost by name only as the tickets were very expensive), having to deal with UK security staff and the shoddy Manchester airport, I just put it down to the fact it's the UK.

It might catch up with Asia one day!

L'aviateur
19th Dec 2010, 10:38
Dan I completely agree that the setup in Hong Kong is excellent. I have the HK Airport Frequent Visitor Card which allows use of the E-Channels, and can mean that from departing the aircraft to being on the Airport Express can be achieved in less then 15 minutes. It's an absolutely fantastic setup. The best airport in the world, designed by a British Company. I can't understand why Terminal 5 never tried to follow suit!

redsnail
19th Dec 2010, 10:39
You don't need to have done the eye scan for the automated chip reading passport gates. That's for the IRIS gates. They're the gates with the funny eye symbol.
The chip gates are the ones where you put your passport in a reader and hope it works. :ok:

Load Toad
19th Dec 2010, 11:35
Come, come Dan, we all know it takes 12 seconds unless you've registered for the Express channel at Lo Wu &c which take 8 ;-)

Dan Winterland
19th Dec 2010, 13:00
I said about ten. I'm happy with two seconds late!

gazfaz
30th Dec 2010, 09:45
We approached to use them for the first time at Manchester yesterday on returning from Florida, there was a huge queue at the existing desks but nobody at the 'chipped' desk.

Some official held up a hand to us and said you have to be eighteen to use the new service (the younger of my two daughters is sixteen).

I was too tired and fed up to even ask why so we slunk away and joined the huge queue.

I still have no idea why one has to be eighteen to use the new chipped service. When I can be arsed I may enquire.

Whilst on the subject. Is it time to send our immigration officials on a customer relations course? I heard that all the US immigration people were sent to Disney to be taught how to lighten up a little? Now they all smile and crack a couple of (lame) jokes, although I notice how they quickly return to considering tazering you if you respond in kind.

The lady that scrutinised our passports yesterday morning had a face that would have stopped the clock inside the crock in Peter Pan. I thought they had a sense of humour considering all the illegal immigrants they let in?

caaardiff
2nd Jan 2011, 10:22
The machines are designed for face recognition, so i can only assume its because under 18's still change in their appearance from when their photo may have been taken on their childs passports.
The machines can be tempramental, i've seen people get stuck in the them. But alot of the time its because the users don't know how to use them. Most airports usually only provide one person to assist with a number of gates. You then get the issue of people joining the queue when they aren't the right age or don't have a chipped passport, then you get users who don't know how to use the machines so need assistance etc etc.
There are (basic) instructions on how to use the machines, but from what i've seen, most people take no notice of them!
On the other hand, the whole thing is a selection process, if your passport doesn't work, it could be that immigration need to see you themselves, or confirm who you are etc.

wowzz
2nd Jan 2011, 20:44
Sorry Caaardiff, but your answer makes no sense - if 50% users have to be 'screened' what is the point of the chipped passports? And also I, plus all the other 'rejected' users were being shown how to use the machines by official staff. Also, my facial appearance has not changed significantly in the 2 months since my new passport was issued.