PDA

View Full Version : Non-Aircrew - PAX Flights in Military Aircraft

RAFEngO74to09
16th Dec 2010, 05:16
Reading other threads here on the myriad of recent and planned cuts, I was reflecting on how fortunate I had been during my very non-typical career as an Engineer Officer, with quite a few "out of the ordinary" appointments, to have had the opportunity to fly a total of 324 hrs 55 mins as a PAX in 30 different military aircraft types / marks. How times have changed. When I was the HQ RAF Support Command (RAFSC) Flight Safety Engineer in the mid-80s, RAFSC operated / stored just under 1000 aircraft including around 200 aircraft as Immediate / Medium / Long Term Readiness replacements for the front line (including Phantom / Lightning / Buccaneer / Canberra) and training fleets ! The Immediate Term Readiness aircraft were even kept right up to date on STIs.

During front-line tours, deployed operations and staff tours I have been "transported" by a variety of means including:
Phantom FGR2
Tornado GR1
Hunter T7A
BAe 146 C1 / BAe 125 CC2 / Andover CC2
Jet Provost T5A / Jet Provost T3A / Bulldog T1 / Chipmunk T10
Jetstream T1 / Jetstream T2 / Jetstream T3
Tristar KC1 / Tristar C2 / VC10 C1 / Hercules C1 / Hercules C3
Chinook HC1 / Chinook HC2 / Sea King HAR3 / Puma HC1
Wessex HC2 / Wessex HU5
Lynx AH1 / Scout AH1 / Gazelle AH1 / Gazelle HT3
G222 (Italian AF) / Nord 262 (French AF)

Most memorable ? No contest. As my RAFG JEngO "Farewell", the Boss offered me any type of Phantom FGR2 trip I would like and I chose the one that would give me the best insight into what the crews had been enthusing about every day of my tour - Low Level 2 ATAF SOPs / 2v2 LCR Check. The skies were full of Belgian / Dutch / German F-104Gs and electricity pylons seemed pretty close to my untrained eye. Of course a little bag was required but an unforgettable experience.

Most bizarre ? No contest. Flying to a remote Rapier FU site in the Falklands to conduct a Unit Inquiry in the back of a very rickety Scout AH1 with fresh rations for the rocks on my lap.

Most stylish / comfortable / convenient ? No contest. BAe 146 2-day trip with only 3-PAX Northolt - Orland to view Norwegian AF equipment (1997 - in the days when BAe 146 hours had to be used or lost and HQ STC staff could bid for them with VSO endorsement).

What's yours ?

F3sRBest
16th Dec 2010, 12:28
F3 over the North Sea - supersonic (pics to prove :))

Q-RTF-X
16th Dec 2010, 12:44
What's yours ?

Didn't keep a record of hours but pestered/scrounged or was detailed for flights in the following types

Anson
Chipmunk
Meteor T7
Varsity
Hastings
Vulcan B Mk1
Pembroke
Britannia
Beverly
Argosy
Hercules
VC10
Canberra T4
Lightning T4

Most Fun (1) : Canberra T4 acting as intruder (piloted by a grizzled Squadron Leader with at least a zillion hours beneath his belt) to be intercepted by 2 x Lightning aircraft. Extreme evasive maneuvers, VERY close pass by one of the interceptors (the Canberra rocked like hell while grizzled pilot chuckled).

Most Fun (2) : Beverly Masirah/Salalah. I was the only Pax, aircraft operated low level along the coast all the way, spent a lot of time on the flight deck and also helped the ALM junk the empty lunch boxes and other trash out of the back door (in flight of course). I was amazed just how maneuverable the Bev was.

Most Fun (3) : Beverly Masirah/Bait al Falaj. Sat up front into Bait, IMHO a bigger kick than the chequerboard approach into Kai Tak (did that on a B747, but that would not count here anyhow). Tremendous seat of the pants flying !

Most Miserable Experience : Hercules Akrotiri/Luqa/Akrotiri. Was NCO i/c advance party for an intended two week Lightning detachment to Luqa. Departed around 04:00 local somewhat fragile after a rather extended kebab bash. Poor Wx en route made for bumpy uncomfortable ride. On arrival bussed to Air Movements to be told a Serious Defect Signal had caused the Lightning’s to be grounded - detachment canx - all to return to Akrotiri once Hercules refueled - no improvement in Wx for return trip - finally got home to Limassol to find house empty (wifey having dinner with friends). Certainly had better days.

Most Uncomfortable : Canberra T4 Valley/Luqa/Akrotiri - despite being an A.Fitt.W who serviced/installed the damn things I never realized just how wretchedly uncomfortable some of those Martin Baker seats could be.

Best Experience : Lightning T4 - Unbelievable experience of a lifetime, plus of course I was very lucky indeed to have such an opportunity; spare seats did not come very often.

I think I was fortunate to be around in the days when the Air Force had a reasonable number of aircraft and there was sufficient flexibility to squeeze in opportunities for ground staff to get up in aircraft they worked on. On some squadrons it was almost encouraged. I also found the crews on the transport fleet (especially the more tactical types) generally very accommodating in making a little time and space 'up front' and letting us see the other side of the coin.

Diablo Rouge
16th Dec 2010, 13:22
Best PAX flight: RAF Harrier T4 with USAF pilot.
420 kts to the hover was awesome.
Worst PAX flight: OV10 Bronco with USAF pilot.
Vibrates like a running rabbit on overdrive.
Most uncomfortable flight: TWU JP4;
I learnt about helmet fit from that one.
Worst rotary flight:
Chinook; like the OV10 but with normal batteries.
Scariest moment:
Entering cloud in the back of a 16 ship Hawk formation and leaving cloud seconds later in a 12 ship formation and not seeing the missing 4 peel away.
First RAF Flight = AEF Chipmunk
-"- Rotary SAR Whirlwind

Despite a lifetime service as an aviator, I still enjoy flying in something new even as PAX; regardless of size, shape or engine performance. I will be gone by 2014 regardless of whether my departure is SDSR expedited, and I really do believe that I have been here at the best possible time in UK Mil Aviation History. Although I would have enjoyed a Vampire or Meteor trip given the chance. Missed opportunity: Jaguar
Lightning T4 - Unbelievable experience of a lifetime, plus of course I was very lucky indeed to have such an opportunity; spare seats did not come very often.

Unless you were a lumpy jumper at VY when STCAAME was alive!

It's Not Working
16th Dec 2010, 13:42
My list is going to pale into insignificance, particularly considering it covers near on 39 years.

Andover – Laarbruch to Thorny Island
VC10 – Wildenrath to Deci and return
Tri* - BZN to Melbourne
Herc – Lyn to Goose Bay
VC10 - Washington to BZN
Herc – Lyn to PSAB and return

There are also NZ, Canadian and Greek Hueys / Iroquois, a NZ 727, a DH Rapide I only ever took off in, a Danish Herc and an unforgettable hour in a NZ Air Trainer. Not having worked on an Airfield since 77 didn't help :-(

Geehovah
16th Dec 2010, 14:07
RAFEngO74to09; I think you gave me a lift in your JENGOs L and Rover once:)

Does that count for us aviators?

Megaton
16th Dec 2010, 14:51
Bulldog
Andover
Vigilant
JP5
Dakota
Puma
Victor :ouch:
Jaguar :cool:
Hercules K/J :(
VC10 :zzz:
Tristar :zzz:
E-3D :zzz:
KC-135 :ok:
Hawk :D
Firefly
Chinook :yuk:
Tucano :ok:
Squirrel

Lots of great memories including SF C130 at low-level at Red Flag, formation aeros in the Hawk, live 100 lb, bounced 4-ship and HE strafe in the Jaguar. Regret never having had a trip in a GR1/4 having spent many years working on the aircraft.

Highlight probably flying the Tucano from the front seat on my last day in uniform before leaving the Service.

Lowlight probably feeling very ill in a Chinook during a flight trial at China Lake after a very big night out or supporting a Jaguar trail to Canada in a C130 or 5 hours in a Victor.

Wander00
16th Dec 2010, 15:28
As a staff officer in RAFSC Command Accounts, a budgie on my jumper was quite useful. I had a deal with the Boss that I did the flying stations. Almost every inspection visit to a flying unit or station I flew in something. Best trip - just over an hour in the Harvard: most satisfying - instrument approach in a Bulldog to be told that it would have been good enough for a White Card. Most fun at the expense of the "system" - car to RAE Bedford, Raspberry Ripple to Farnborough, and then on to Boscombe Down; trip in the Harvard and return via the Raspberry Ripple. Years later flying at Old Sarum the CFI asked where he had met me - since he was likely to fly my skills test, I did not let on I had been the inspecting officer on his Command Accounts Inspection. On occasions I would ask a young OC Accounts Flight how much flying he could fix for me on the grounds that when I flew I was happy, and if I was happy I wrote nicer reports - just wanted to find out if he or she ever went near the squadrons - the flying was already booked! One fun trip was due to be a repeat in 1987 or 88 of the "Ex 1" I had flown in a Gnat in 1966 with the now Station Commander, with whom as a young QFI I had flown the original Ex1. Happy days.

Q-RTF-X
16th Dec 2010, 15:34
DR

Unless you were a lumpy jumper at VY when STCAAME was alive!

Actually was at VY for a couple of years at what was STCMPC (formerly FCMPC); I'm guessing these were forerunners to STCAAAME. VY was not where I managed my lightning flight and cannot recall we ever had any lumpy jumpers; pity, might have brightened things up a little. :)

goudie
16th Dec 2010, 16:27
Meteor NF11
Chipmunk
Anson
Hastings
Comet
Canberra T4
Canberra B15
Andover
Herald(RMAF)
Caribou(RMAF)
Twin Pioneer(RMAF)
VC 10
Wessex
Britannia
Hercules

Most memorable flights were in the Canberra. When the 'Zero Reader' instrument system was installed in the T4, at Bassingbourn, one of the QFI's thought it a good idea that, as I was responsible for calibrating it, it might be a good idea for me to see it operating for real.
Once we were airborne he let me pole it, doing some gentle turns and finally taking it down the glide path at Wyton, just following the one instrument, almost to touchdown.
When we got back he said ''I can now truthfully tell the students that even a Cpl Tech can fly the damn thing on Zero Reader! Not too sure what the young student Nav thought about it though

Similar story on the B15 equipped with LABS, at Akrotiri. One of the pilots suggested I come along and see it in action. Sitting in the rhumbold seat, as we went into a 3g climb, I began wishing I was elsewhere! However I quite enjoyed the next 3 runs and when we landed was quite pleased to have an unused bag still grasped in my sweaty hand. Did a few more of those in my time there.

I agree with Q-RTF-X re. the ejection seat. After 4 hours on one (jolly down to East Africa) one certainly ended up with a numb bum. Also very claustrophobic in the back r/h seat with 4 crew aboard. Didn't bother me then but don't think I'd fancy it now.
Some years ago I visited the RAF museum at Hendon and was pleasantly surprised to see the Canberra PR3, that broke the London/New Zealand record in '53. My grandson was quite impressed when I told him I'd flown in it, which I had, back in the early'60's, on an air test for an intermittent compass fault.

Would love to have flown in the Hunter or Lightning

In general, I felt groundcrew were always actively encouraged to get some air experience, whenever possible. Bit difficult nowadays I imagine.

Snakecharmer
16th Dec 2010, 17:36
First trip after joining... 'Engineer's Flying' on Wednesdays at Cranners (despite the best efforts of the DS to arrange tedious engineering / RAeS briefings etc purely to prevent us from flying!)... ancient ex-Britannia pilot (JY) helping me practice my Slingsby aerobatic routine in a JP5, including the inverted entry and push to stall turn... turned out a bit wobbly!

Most fun 1 - Weekend away to Norfolk in an F3 to represent the Sqn at a reunion at Little Snoring... drunk under the table by a WW2 type who'd arrived in his own Pitts... re-soloed my driver (the awesome 'Doof') in a puddlejumper on the Sunday... on Monday, we wired said flying club on the way out then PD Manchester (including another good 'wiring' - just post Gulf War One so much was allowed)... followed by aeros over what we thought was Elvington but turned out to be Linton..

Most fun 2 - Malaysia and back by Herc as the 'sweeper'... including getting stuck in Muscat on the way home with a broken Herc... daily routine consisted of breakfast in bed, go to Embassy collect more money, lunch by the pool.. more pool.. evening 'happy hour' then repeat until UK could find someone to do 'independents' on Albert.. we kept up this charade for a week, even having 'prisoners' of the sun' T-Shirts made :-)

Most fun 3 - Weekend away in back seat of no2 Hawk in 4-ship leading large Spitfire formation for 'Southampton salutes the Spitfire' weekend to mark 60th anniversary of Spit... great aeroplanes, people and hospitality :-)

Most fun 4 - In astrodome of Herc dropping stores to HMS Endurance from 300' in Grytviken harbour.. flying around the icebergs at 45 degrees AOB with the Captain (who I still bump into occasionally at North Weald) commenting "these ****ing throttles are all over the place" :-)

Most frightening - MPA to Sea Lion Island by Chinook... my oppo, the 'wobbletop' EngO came along too but wasn't over-enthusiastic as he wasn't at all convinced 'his' machines were safe!

Funny how - looking back - the best times of one's service all involve committing aviation... :-)

chiglet
16th Dec 2010, 22:10
As an ATC Cadet:-
Chipmonk and Shack T4 [with the obligatory T21/T31 thrown in
As an ADO:-
Belvedere, Whirwind, Twin Pin, Single Pin, Valetta, Hastings, Argosy, Bristol Freighter [RNZAF], Beaver, Scout [both Army] DC7C, Britannia
As a Civvie ATCer:-
Hawk and a VC10 AAR.
Not very impressive compared to some, but I'm happy

scran
16th Dec 2010, 22:43
32 year RAAF ATC

Macchi (several sorties)
Caribou
C130A/E/H
Mirage 3 (several sorties)
Canberra Mk 20 (target towing for Mirage A/A gunnery)
B707
KC135 (USAF - refuelling a B52 sortie)
UH1 Iroquois (lots)
S70 Blackhawk
Winjeel (FAC Training sorties)
US Blackhawk (Iraq)
PC9

Never jagged a Hornet sortie, and almost got an F111 ride one time.......

UK Merlin (long story)

Alber Ratman
16th Dec 2010, 23:14
Got a few trips in various kites and cab, apart from the usual detatchment buses..

Only 2 trips in FJs and those were on Jags. First one was a 30 buzz around Norfolk (T bird from lossie just been serviced and they didn't want it back straight away so Colt used it to cut the backseat trip backlog!) 100ft over the North Sea was the highlight of that one! Second was a proper sortie flying a JTAC training CAS trip dropping HES in Jordan. Seeing how to be talked onto a target exactley as the Harrier boys and others do it the old fashioned way was an eye opener.. Never needed a sick bag for either!

Oueen of the Skys tanker trip when out with the Jags in Alaska.. Fabulous scenery!

Training aircraft was a Tucano trip as front seater at Linton. Low level through the Dales then general handling plus aeros.. Funniest moment was throwing the aircraft onto its back whilst making a total hash of a stall turn. As the aircraft started to depart, I cooly said "You have Control!" to the captain!

A couple of Wokka rides in Germany, one was a low level nav ex with 30 other Bruggen ground staff as passengers and as an casevac patient for a MaxiMash ex. Seeing a ramp opening full of ground as the beast pulls into the hover is most disconserting!:\

As for transports, flying into Ryhiad on the 4th night of GW1 in a Timmy. 55 guys on a seat pallet + freight, landing at the same time as 5 Scuds..:eek: Interesting trying to get into goon suits with no room!

The French Transall lift from North Scotland to get me on my first leave from Lossie.. It was going from Liverpool orignially on the VASS board, but when asking if I could hitch a lift, the captain said, "Liverpool is just a roller, but we are landing at Northolt.." Even better! Never got back home quicker from Lossie on that tour than that day and spent the whole trip down on the flight deck!

Most fun flying in the military? Getting a trip up with one of the Royal Jordanian Falcon Extra 500s and having a chance to see what that aeroplane can do from the inside. 30 minutes of as many aerobatic manovuers (including the tumbles) as we could do and I even got to a cuban 8 by my own hand!:D

Roadster280
17th Dec 2010, 00:59
Mil types flown in:

Chinook
Wessex
Puma
Scout
Lynx 7/9
Gazelle
Sea King HC4
German UH-1
German CH-53
VC-10
Tristar C2
Tristar K? - Awful thing as pax!
C-130
German Transall
US Blackhawk

All of this was in the Army, and most of it when on RAF MAOTs

Some notable trips -

In the German Huey doing a wingover (helos do wingovers?). Yes they do, because I was looking at the ground out of the roof windows thinking "why am I here?"

In a Chinook being dropped off at Sarajevo airport, with Apache hovering as top cover. I was the only pax on the daily shuttle, so I looked like a very important Cpl stepping off the ramp!

In a Scout being dropped onto an impact area on SENTA to rig a target hulk for lifting onto higher ground. On stepping off the Scout (which promptly lifted and made like a shepherd), there were blinds all over the place. Oh my lord! How we got that thing rigged and moved without being fragged is beyond me.

Last one - German Transall. We take off from Split, the loadie gets his fags out and starts smoking. Quizzical looks from the pax, he disappears up front for a second, then comes back with a handful of ashtrays fashioned out of bean cans and dishes them out! Most bizzarre.

Tashengurt
17th Dec 2010, 09:12
Got a trip in a Phantom on APC. Was sick as a dog despite being pretty much straight and level.
Wish I'd pushed for a go in an F3 and the SAM Hawk.

Paully617
17th Dec 2010, 15:11
Hi all,
Still in the mob and currently sat in QRA at MPA with my umpteenth brew on the go.

So far in my 13.5 yrs in a blue suit i have had the pleasure of pax trips in the following.

Harrier T10 (good start)
Sea King (sadly dropping me onto the deck of HMS Invinc)
VCO out of Nellis as a tanker a/c for my beloved harriers.
Herc (boooo ) to cyprus
BBMF Dakota from RAF coningsby
oh and a cheeky low level, +7.5g, high level supersonic, aerobatic filled flight in one of my sqn's Typhoon aircraft.

Another Sea King flight booked for next week hopefully down here with the SAR guys which should be good fun.

P.S its still windy here but at least it aint snowing!!! Merry Xmas to all on here!

:D

exblanketstacker
17th Dec 2010, 16:02
Manage to get a crew seat on a Pembroke Wildenrath to Northolt instead of bus and Herald of Free Enterprise on the day she turned turtle. needless to say on return leg I spent trip on deck of the ferry the following week

Squawk7143
17th Dec 2010, 18:13
Hmmm...not many,

Chipmunk...various
Argosy..... 115 Sqn Cottesmore 70's
Varsity......Bread run during strikes in the 70's from Aldergrove to Wyton
Whirlwind...about 40 hrs.....SART Valley 70's
Wessex 22 Sqn Leuchars 70's
Seaking (Navy) SART Valley 70's (visiting)
Andover....Waddington 70's
Gnat....Valley 70's
VC10.......loads of troopers in the 80's
Jaguar....226 OCU Lossiemouth 80's
Shackleton AEW2... 8 Sqn Lossiemouth 80's Once is enough

the Shack was a short 6 hour hop...still have the throbbing head...landed with a cocked tailwheel..couldn't tell the difference between that and a normal landing after 6 hours of circuits!

Rigga
17th Dec 2010, 19:25
As an LAC/SAC rigger in the mid 70's some very kind QHIs must've had a bet on how I'd do when they taught me to fly Whirlwinds. At the closure of Tern Hill I could just about do most things except the final landing back on camp.
Possibly the only naturally left-seated Helicopter pilot at the time.

First exciting trip: Across and through the valleys of Snowdon - Whirlwind front seat.

Fastest exciting trip: 20ft and 120 knots across the fields of Gloucestershire hanging out the side of a Huey (I was the Crew Chief) and doing plenty of "Wingovers" to go around Pylons - almost smelling the Corn roasting as we passed. Lifting to clear roadside bushes and traffic.

Most proud - Landing at Conningsby in a Huey - they could hear us 10 miles out and it attracted my mates!

Strangest: Doing the Nurburgring circuit in the back of a Chinook.

mikealder
17th Dec 2010, 20:07
Never worked in any of the services so gaining access to interesting jets isn't easy:

VC10 air test (1987)
P3 Orion (1995)
Nimrod MR2P (1996)
Catalina PBY (1997)
AN124 fourteen sorties to date (1997 - 2007)

Most memorable the AN124 over Edinburgh 15/02/97 heading North in the morning ;) - Mike