PDA

View Full Version : Twin Piston deicing

jeya
15th Dec 2010, 09:27
I plan to go with PA-34 for a couples of days where theis no hangar. It will be be busy airport with deicing equipment. I have no experience with deicing with this airplane. It is also not common to see them "under elphant". Can someone advice me something about procedure (like deicing coniguration) and flight characterics after process?

Peter Fanelli
15th Dec 2010, 12:18
I suspect the only approved deicing procedure for a PA-34 would be park it in the sun, when the ice melts go fly. (Assuming no heated hangar available.)

bigduke6
15th Dec 2010, 14:38
There really is not procedure, so just use common sense. I would avoid type IV fluid (thicker than types I and II), but you are not likely to encounter it.

I would add 5 kts so to the rotation and then do it a bit slower than normal, to help the fluid shear off, but that is just me. Never noticed any flight control difference on a twin Cessna.

STBYRUD
15th Dec 2010, 15:26
...not likely to encounter Type 4? That seems to be the only stuff readily available in FRA right now...

I would be surprised if Piper had established procedures for this, as the others have said, its best to keep in hangared - maybe you can ask the local ground handling company for some advice?

trex450
15th Dec 2010, 17:34
if no de-ice fluid is available and you are frosted over then you can speed up the thaw by parking next to a hanger (or any other building) in the sun and out of the wind to speed things up a lot. Assuming of course that is an option to do. A soft broom is a good alternative to fluid if you are covered in snow, just brush it off but be careful not to scratch the windscreens!