PDA

View Full Version : Airbus A320 question(!!!)

swashplate
26th Apr 2001, 16:56
No, not that one!!!

Just wondered why the nosewheel strut on A319/20/21 series A/C is angled slightly forwards when down?
On all other A/C it is 'straight' i.e. 90 degrees to fuselage.

Surely this makes it harder to 'lock' down and more stress on strut? Or is it easier to retract?

Or does it just look nice to frenchman? :) :)

Look forwards to interesting answers and abusive gibberish!

Frederic
26th Apr 2001, 19:34
A320 is NOT a French aircraft! :-)
I think nosewheel thingy must have something to do with better steering behaviour. A lot of light GA aircraft have it as well. It makes the nosewheel "turn along" in the bends, so that it needs less power to operate. A bit like balanced flight controls...

northern boy
26th Apr 2001, 22:56
A forward angle on the nosewheel strut gives better steering and directional control. Have a look at the front forks on a bike and youll get the picture.

It is mostly French with a bit of German British and a few others thrown in.The 320 is built in Toulouse as is the 340.The 321 is built in Germany (I think) as is the 319.

PFR
27th Apr 2001, 15:33
Guards against nose wheel shimmy. The nose gear is Aerospatiale design responsibility and is manufactured by Messier.
A319's are also assembled in Hamburg.

Hope that helps.

swashplate
27th Apr 2001, 16:30
Thanks chaps, all v interesting.

So having the nose strut angled forwards helps in steering?
Yes, I can appreciate that, but surely there must be a penalty here. The locking mechanism must have to take more wieght on it than if the nose wheel was at 90 degrees?

I KNOW it isn't a French aircraft (although they seem to think it is......) - just wondered how many would rise to the bait!! :) :) :)

Keep those postcards coming in!!!!!