PDA

View Full Version : Clue to brain power of fighter pilots.

glum
14th Dec 2010, 22:12
BBC News - Clue to brain power of fighter pilots (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11992270)

Seems they won't be needing to interview applicants in future, just give them a brain scan!

Finningley Boy
14th Dec 2010, 23:10
I've just been reading it. So its right what Sir Glenn Torpy said after all!:ok:

FB:)

cavortingcheetah
15th Dec 2010, 06:38
The fast ones among you will know all about this?

BBC News - Clue to brain power of fighter pilots (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11992270)

Happy Christmas and New Year to all on this Forum.

Ken Scott
15th Dec 2010, 07:45
Royal Air Force fighter pilots are trained to fly at supersonic speeds at low altitude, requiring fine control with very little room for error.

The discipline is considered to be at the limits of human cognitive performance, prompting doctors at UCL to study their brain function.

The research team looked at how 11 front-line RAF Tornado fighter pilots performed in two standard visual cognitive tests to assess their powers of thought.

Maybe some control groups for comparison would have been interesting - a few Harrier pilots (for non-supersonic pilots!) or C130 drivers (still low level, a lot slower, but still a relatively high work load if you go for the 2 person flightdeck kind). All would have been recruited using the same aptitude testing but their training paths will have diverged so it might help to narrow down the born/ bred argument. To be truly scientific a much larger sample size is needed.

There are quite a few pilots with enough time on their hands at the moment to take part in some research......

L J R
15th Dec 2010, 08:55
Bullsh1t....!

im from uranus
15th Dec 2010, 09:09
Your'e a tad (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/436714-theyre-born-like.html) late! Not a FJ pilot are you? :E

MrBernoulli
15th Dec 2010, 11:12
Glenn who? :hmm:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
16th Dec 2010, 21:02
Took them 20 mins just to find my brain when I had the scan at Cranditz. This was probably due to them initially attaching the electrodes to my head - obviously about a metre out.
Extending the thread; what about the 'crazy' test used in pilot selection by the Swedes that the RAF tried out on a few FJ bods in the '90s. I was pulled out of a hat for that one, and I was told by a doc some years later that there was a strong negative correlation, i.e. the RAF would be best hiring guys that the swedes weeded out for being nuts, as they had the best chance of passing RAF training?! Apparently the reason for not adopting it was the inevitable comments if the press ever got to hear about it.

effortless
17th Dec 2010, 08:18
At the risk of making your heads bigger An interesting bit of research. (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1012/10121402)

just another jocky
17th Dec 2010, 08:38
Keep up at the back there! (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/436733-clue-brain-power-fighter-pilots.html) ;)

Lightning Mate
17th Dec 2010, 13:11
Nothing new there.

We've known it for years. :E

Tourist
17th Dec 2010, 13:16
..............as in window licking sunshine bus special,yes

Scuttled
17th Dec 2010, 13:25
Oh dear, we mere mortal one winged untermensch will never hear the end of this........ :(

Tankertrashnav
17th Dec 2010, 18:11
The researchers found that fighter pilots have superior cognitive control, showing significantly greater accuracy on one of the cognitive tasks, despite being more sensitive to irrelevant, distracting information.

I should bleeding well hope so, or else whatever they call the present day successor of OASC Biggin Hill isn't doing its job.

I've heard that this guy's next bit of research is to discover whether members of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra have superior musical abilities to a control group, before moving on to study the defecatory practices of ursine species in arboreal surroundings.

How do you get jobs like these? :ugh:

vecvechookattack
17th Dec 2010, 18:17
Great bit of research... I once heard that a scientist had discovered that Dog Fleas jump higher than Cat fleas (Could have been the other way round but who cares) and that Lap Dancers get better tips when they are ovulating....

Any other good ones?

Cpt_Pugwash
17th Dec 2010, 19:16
vvha,
there is an award for this sort of research ... the Ig Nobel prize (http://improbable.com/ig/)

effortless
17th Dec 2010, 19:17
Keep up at the back there!

Sorry Jocky, I was looking out of the window.

Tourist
18th Dec 2010, 12:15
Truly appalling, but I must admit I enjoyed the bit about the Navy.

Good banter.

jindabyne
18th Dec 2010, 14:53
Magnificent! Demonstrating that the master race is alive and well. Thirty five years since Valley instructional days, but good to see that the spirit lives on. As for all you others here, Merry Cringe, and don't be too dispirited for not having been part of the elite.

exMudmover
18th Dec 2010, 16:40
Bleedin' brilliant guys! Best laugh I've had all week. If these guys can't get a front-line cockpit next tour then they've got a promising future on TV to fall back on.

BBadanov
19th Dec 2010, 04:55
Now Jindy, let me get this straight. Being a QFI (I repeat QFI) at Valley was "part of the elite"?? Bearing in mind some of these guys were "creamies". :bored: It's a gee-up right? Oh, and did you get the cricket result, or the snow has all the lines down? :p

BEagle
19th Dec 2010, 18:34
Having watched that Yoof Tube video, I wondered what the heck it was about which they were clearly taking the p*ss. Why all the gangsta rapper stuff? And why 'One Vally' without the 'e' - or was that part of the joke? Bruv...

It seems that there's some advertisement around on the meeja from a Westcountry milk vendor, entitled 'Yeo Valley'. This seems to be the item they're mimicking....

Is the advert well-known amongst those who watch commercial TV? I've never seen it; perhaps it's only shown on certain regions?

Anyway, glad to see that the chaps / chapesses at 4FTS are still able to have some fun in these depressing times for the mob. Innit...

jindabyne
19th Dec 2010, 18:40
BB

Cricket - a mere blip. I fully expect to cash in on my 100 dollar wager with my old neighbour in Isaacs 'ere long. And as for Valley, flying the GT6 was fun, especially with the Dragons. But you well know that the previous three tours counted you old mongrel, along with the likes of Leachy, Schultz, Thommo and others.

Now sit back with a tinnie, wash down some Kilpatricks, and wallow in the remaining two games. And don't let it spoil your Chrissie :{

BEagle
19th Dec 2010, 20:05
Thanks for the explanation, stick ninja! Puts it all into context. But what is 'XFactor'?

jinda', a ham-fisted student like me couldn't believe his luck when turned loose on the orgasmic GT6!! After the Gnat and the 'Barge', the GT6 was sen-bŁoody-sational!