PDA

View Full Version : RAF Oakington

Miles Magister
12th Dec 2010, 18:57
There are well advanced plans to build a new town on the old RAF Oakington airfield. Some locals are trying to save 6 of the original buildings and turn them into a museum for posterity.

If any PPruners ever served at Oakington or have relatives who did, the organisers are looking for copies of any documents or or photographs of the airfield, aircraft there or even of the village. The team would be most grateful for copies. If they are digital then the best quality available is requested, around a minimum of 1MB per picture. Official and social sides of the station will be portrayed.

Their web site is Home, Longstanton & District Heritage Society Cambridgeshire (http://www.ldhs.org) and their email address is [email protected]

They are also happy for any copies of pictures or documnets to be sent to LDHS, The Manor, Woodside, Longstanton, CB24 3BU.

MM

Thud_and_Blunder
12th Dec 2010, 20:21
Had the privilege of being the last RAF instructor to be based there (on exchange with 657 Sqn as their QHI) - when back home will do my best to ferret out some pics.

opfixclear
13th Dec 2010, 09:08
I was stationed there from 1986 to 1989 with 657 Sqn AAC on both Gazelle and Lynx. When I left the Sqn were just about to move to Dishforth and leave Oakington to the RHF.

I do remember a photo task where I had to get airborne photographs of the Ivory Tower and the pan decked out with all the squadron aircraft. When I have a few hours spare I will attack the attic and see if I can find them.

Thud, were you the sideways walking one that displayed the captured UH1? If so, you have beasted me on numerous occasions. Happy days!

aw ditor
13th Dec 2010, 09:38
Has Miles Magister ever flown a Magister? Did two QFI tours there on the dear old Varsity. Good kipper-run' aircraft, and excellent for bringing in the booze from Wildenrath or Gatow prior to the annual B.of B. cocktail party. The preservation group is much deserving of support before the ball-and-chain men arrive. Oakington saw the introduction of the Stirling and was a Pathfinder star' station with both Lancs. and Mossies'. Excellent 7 Sqn stained glass windows in Longstanton Church. Could never understand why Oakington was not named Longstanton, as it was/is the nearest village.

Fareastdriver
13th Dec 2010, 10:20
In June 1961 I was on the last Provost T1 course to pass out of Tern Hill. Two of us immediately went to Oakington to continue in the Vampire T11. The rest of our course were gloating about the two months leave they were getting before they started on Vampire/Varsities at Valley.

Fast forward to March 1962. Valley had closed for the Gnat and the Varsities went to Oakington. The Vampire courses at Oakington moved to Swinderby except one that was just about to pass out. Guess who was parading on the supporting squadrons behind me when I was presented with my wings.

malreeves
13th Dec 2010, 17:17
7 Squadron Association erected the Memorial window at Longstanton Parish Church in the late 80's as Oakington was the Squadrons main base for the majority of WWII, the church also houses the Squadron Book of Remembrance which lists all the 1,972 squadron personnel who paid the ultimate sacrifice. The Church also has a memeorial for 527 (PFF) Sqn who flew Mosquitos under the command of Sir Ivor Broom.

Association members have supported the work of the Heritage trust and several members have donated items for Public view. As an association we are holding our breath to see if the developers will keep to their promise and allow (part of) the Officers Mess to become a permanant memorial to RAF Oakington and the part it played in WWII.

There's also a link through the 7 Squadron Association website.

Thud_and_Blunder
13th Dec 2010, 17:40
Opfixclear,

Twas indeed me - that's why I never tried claiming to be the last Crab ever to have enjoyed Oakington as home base. Good to hear from you; I'll have to see if my occasional forays into your area on Northern Lighthouse Board duties can lead to our paths crossing once more.

Mal, while I was there I was once called to the guardroom by the resident infantry unit to meet a 'casual caller' visiting the UK from NZ who had served with 7 during the war. He was there with his wife, who he'd met at Oakington, and was hoping for a quick look around before they had to head back to the antipodes. A real gentleman, who found it difficult to get his bearings to begin with but was back in his element when he saw the alignment of the main runway (or what the Army had left of it) with that landmark to the NE. I don't recall his name, but I hope he and his wife were able to remember some of the better times having seen the airfield once more.

kaikohe76
13th Dec 2010, 17:48
Hi Folks,
I was on 52 course with the Varsity 1966/67 & have fond memories of Oakington. I will try & find the odd photo of those good times & pass them on.

cobaltfrog
13th Dec 2010, 17:59
Served there in the RHF! They had cut up half the runway by 1992! the tower was still there used as offices and the Hangars housed A,B and C Coy. The mess was Middle Wallop standard and all in all a good place to be based. Shame its gone.

Miles Magister
13th Dec 2010, 19:06
aw ditor,
The answer to your question is yes, but not whilst it was still in service!

MM

aw ditor
14th Dec 2010, 10:07
MM

Curious because I did an ATC/CCF Flying Scholarship on un-spatted Maggies' at Redhill a long time ago! Excellent examples at Shuttleworth. Apologies for thread creep.

AD.

Miles Magister
20th Dec 2010, 10:21
Guys,

There is an on-line petition to save some of the buildings at Oakington which the developers may demolish very soon.
December 2010 Latest News , Longstanton & District Heritage Society Cambridgeshire (http://www.ldhs.org/news/latest-news-2/december-2010/)