PDA

View Full Version : Today is 12.12.2010 - 19yrs on.....

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Dec 2010, 07:44
Today is the 19th anniversary of the first of the 'modernisation' and other changes which commenced .....

12.12.'91..........

The beginning of the end ....some would have said.

In those 19 years, just what has been achieved..??

An 'old' thread by now I know, but, "Wot's left"..??

I'm off to have a quiet beer with a couple of guys and gals, who can remember.....

Cheers All...:ok::ok:

18-Wheeler
12th Dec 2010, 08:13
990 years according to the date in the thread title!

Skynews
12th Dec 2010, 09:55
The beginning of the end or air traffic services.

Desert Flower
12th Dec 2010, 09:58
Today is 12.12.1020

Hell GRIFFO - yer older than we thought! ;)

DF.

OZBUSDRIVER
12th Dec 2010, 10:01
Ahhhhhh dagnabit......history has played a hand that was exactly the opposite what some had hoped for...no service at all!

Cactusjack
12th Dec 2010, 10:02
Ø On March 26, 1991, Singapore Airlines Flight 117 was hijacked by some nutters. Aircraft was an Airbus A310. Commandos took out all the bad guys and no pax or crew were killed. A good outcome.
Ø Pan Am went ‘tits up’ in 1991. Lockerbie was the beginning of the end for this majestic carrier.
Ø Aeropostal Alas de Venezuela Flight 108, DC9 ate a mountain top. 45 souls lost.
Ø China Airlines Flight 358, a Boeing 747 freighter ate a hill top. No surviving crew.
Ø The Yanks lost a couple of Embraer's in 91, including one on Sep 11 1991. Ironic date.
Ø India contributed to the years carnage and had an Indian Airlines Flight 257, Boeing 737 eat a hilltop. No survivors.
Ø Who could forget Lauda Air Flight 004, Boeing 767? All 223 onboard perished R.I.P
Ø Nigeria Airways Flight 2120, a. DC8. It caught fire after take-off. Underinflated tyres was the cause and 261 died. Worst DC8 crash to date.
Ø Scandinavian Airlines Flight 751, an MD-80 with 129 souls onboard and all survived. Aircraft stalled at 1000 metres due to ice build-up on the wings. A fortunate outcome in retrospect.
Ø United Airlines Flight 585, Boeing 737 with 25 souls onboard, all perished. This was one of the infamous ‘rudder deflection’ accidents that Boeing could have done without.
Ø USAir Flight 1493, a Boeing 737 and a Fairchild Metro.The 737 had 89 souls onboard with 22 dying and the Metro had 12 onboard and all died. The 737 landed on top of the Metro at LAX.

Never to be forgotten.....

triadic
12th Dec 2010, 10:47
AMATS Mk1 !!

OZBUSDRIVER
12th Dec 2010, 11:03
Crash through or crash......

Capn Bloggs
12th Dec 2010, 11:06
In those 19 years, just what has been achieved..??
The destruction of the industry, that's what. Continual meddling, by enthusiastic amateurs who think Australia is America, with a system that was world's best, drove away hordes of pilots who couldn't be stuffed trying to work out what the hell was going on and keep up with the always-changing rules.

Shame shame shame. :=

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Dec 2010, 15:08
Aye Aye Cap'n,....

And, ooops I've corrected the date....

But NOTHING ELSE HAS BEEN 'CORRECTED'..!!

Except for...........

Thanks again for the 'redundo', Dick..!!i

:ok::ok::ok:

:yuk::yuk::sad::sad:

Peter Fanelli
12th Dec 2010, 15:24
It wasn't broke, didn't need to be "fixed"
Flying used to be really good in Oz.

tail wheel
12th Dec 2010, 20:01
Fixed the thread title for you Fumble Fingers! :E

Jack Ranga
12th Dec 2010, 21:32
Griffo,

Yep, sad day, yet another CEO with a personal agenda, sadly out of touch with reality :ugh: Does an unspeakable amount of damage then walks away cos it all got too hard.

I flew out to Dubbo and back and got one of the duty FISo's last briefings.

A system that worked remarkably well and...............combined with a modernisation that OZBUSDRIVER speaks of on the other thread would have been a cracker of a system. AND cheaper than the abortion that is occuring now.

Dunno about the west but there are an enormous amount of controlled airspace penetrations over here. Something that didn't seem to happen that much when there were Briefing Offices to give you a few tips on how to avoid before getting airborne.

Pinky the pilot
13th Dec 2010, 00:32
Strewth! That long ago yet already!!:eek:

Have'nt done much aviating in the last couple of years but still now regret that you cannot walk into an office and pick up the forecasts and lodge a flight plan with a person whom would cast a steely eye over it and always spot any errors you may have made!:ok:

Continual meddling, by enthusiastic amateurs

A perfect example of the old adage; 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.'

Atlas Shrugged
13th Dec 2010, 01:25
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Knowing a little about something tempts one to overestimate one's abilities.

Just because someone may have assembled some furniture at some point, it doesn't mean they can build an entire house!

Wally Mk2
13th Dec 2010, 01:38
...............all sad but the biggest trouble with aviation is that it was invented!:E

In it's hey day aviation was a 'service' to all, it's now just a tool to make money hence 'service' no longer applies in most cases.
The guys/gals at the coal face of flying still provide a service best they can with what little they have because most in aviation do it for not just money but for the love of it;)

Wmk2

Chimbu chuckles
13th Dec 2010, 08:41
12/12/91?

My 30th birthday - thanks for the **** pressy Dick.

Section28- BE
13th Dec 2010, 09:12
Griffo

Many thanks for the thread- and 'we' (that are old enough..), DO remember.......... many thanks/& well done, to you and those you worked with (as said once before:E).

Glad Dicks' offer was 'Blue Ribbon' for you and those that did such good work............. although, the overall concept in 'my' opinion was short sighted in a user pays world, or such a sparsely settled Continent.

Well done all, what remains doesn't impress any of us much that traverse this land mass.

Rgds

flying-spike
13th Dec 2010, 09:23
Confirm you have the cloud for area 40, standby and I will pass wind!

Dick Smith
13th Dec 2010, 09:44
I liked the FS at Dubbo
Always give me a coffee and order a cab!

And Cooma was great to - they would be on duty on a Sunday afternoon to take my VFR plan Thredbo to TLS

Sometimes mine was the only plan put in that afternoon and it was all paid for by the Airlines.

But don,t blame me It was O'Keef and others who did the deal with Aussat that resulted in the local stations closing.

flying-spike
13th Dec 2010, 09:53
"The destruction of the industry, that's what. Continual meddling, by enthusiastic amateurs who think Australia is America,"

Speak of the devil

Cactusjack
13th Dec 2010, 10:58
Dick,
Where have you been ?? Very quiet of late.
Have you been drinking coffee and eating peanut paste sandwiches with Senator Xenaphon ??

Ex FSO GRIFFO
13th Dec 2010, 14:43
Hi Mr 'S-28',

Actually, the aforesaid bloke had NOTHING to do with our 'redundo plan' - THAT was organised by the Union after a long and painful fight with the bean counters....:*

All dick did was to delete those 'pesky' 'dual service' OCTA time wasters....
and thus provide concept of FS being 'redundant'!:sad:

That merely gave the impetus for getting rid of an Airspace System that actually worked - it was 'evolved' over many years to suit our vast distances and our relatively small inland population areas - and in later years once we got 'away' from the Public Service rules/mentality - it became quite 'lean' and cost effective.:cool:
However.....

On a personal level, I was at the 'right' age to retire, more or less, so I got a bit more than I first envisaged.:D:D

Other FSO's of differing ages etc were not so fortunate. But then many have found other careers and have prospered accordingly.

dick knows wot I mean when I say.....
p.s. Thanks for the redundo....

Cheers :ok:

Chimbu chuckles
13th Dec 2010, 16:06
Dick how come, after 30+ years of your verbiage, nuthin is ever your fricken fault?

BTW how is it going with the tree huggers? I predict you'll do well with the hippies - You seen the Penn & Teller vid about Greenies on youtube - the one with the petition to ban Di-hyrdrogen Monoxide?

God damn they are dumb.:ugh:

Edit: I see some uni students ran the 'Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide' petition at Cancun and most delegates signed - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

The reason we don't see Dick around here much anymore is he has a new crusade/constituency - AGWing.

We have our very own Al Gore in the making:=

my oleo is extended
14th Dec 2010, 05:55
Dick Gore ????

OZBUSDRIVER
14th Dec 2010, 07:56
It's a crying shame...but seriously, Griff...given a couple of mill, a training centre and a TAAATS with ADS-B feed...I reckon we could rebuild a few FSUs...

Nice try, Dick....

Section28- BE
14th Dec 2010, 09:05
Strewth Oz............. rather bold of you..

I hear what you're saying, but- do you actually reckon you could dig-up enough dual endorsed Barrister/Concierge operators..........., or have they all moved on??, I hope not- Griffo maybe able to steer you right????

I believe, the same said 'Airlines' (that were wasting all that money providing Coffee, Dealing with a plan a week, etc.) employed them all after the purge (& ex retirement), to operate Third Party Comms requirements at all Regional RPT Ports- in what has been demonstrated as an extremely economically frugal concept (Beep...) for operators providing Gvt Services on Governments' behalf.

How will you lure them out of such a Champaign/Shangri-La lifestyle......??

More power to you- I'll (vote for you) file a plan with your resurgence and try to fly more, like the old days- when private aviation was a productive contributor to the broader economy, as opposed to a discretionary recreational pursuit.

Rgds
28- No SAR, No Details

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Dec 2010, 09:39
I'll just go and charge up me 'Gopher'......:eek:

Should be ready in an hour or two....:} :} :uhoh:

:ok::ok: