PDA

View Full Version : R22 accident in south of France

Captain Cashmere
9th Dec 2010, 15:05
heard rumours of a G-registered aircraft crashing in the South of France near Grasse earlier today.

does anyone have any information on this.

owner based in Essex UK.

Thanks

No Foehn
9th Dec 2010, 17:23
The Dauphiné Libéré reports 2 fatalities in a G registered R22 crash en route from Sospel to Avignon.

France/Monde | Nouveau crash d'hélicoptère (http://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2010/12/09/un-helicoptere-s-ecrase-dans-les-alpes-maritimes)

RVDT
9th Dec 2010, 17:44
Nice Matin (http://www.nicematin.com/article/derniere-minute/deux-morts-dans-un-nouveau-crash-dhelico-dans-les-alpes-maritimes) has more details and names at photograph # 2.

docstone
9th Dec 2010, 17:44
Tragically, this appears to be active members of this site - no details so far

VeeAny
9th Dec 2010, 18:53
What sad news.

It does according to the article seem to be a well known member here, I sincerely hope the article is wrong.

Regardless of who it is may they RIP.

GS

cyclicmicky
9th Dec 2010, 19:06
Top fellers both of them,
had some great times with them.

RVDT
9th Dec 2010, 19:19
Not forgetting the Heli Air Monaco AS 350B2 the evening before as well.....................trois mort!

jellycopter
9th Dec 2010, 21:01
I am absolutely gutted.

I've always been aware that if we play this helicopter game for long enough, we will lose colleagues and acquaintances. I've lost several myself over the years, but the biggest difference with this tragic accident, is it's the first time I've ever lost true friends.

Both of these men were passionate about flying, and I know it's a cliche, but it's comforting for me to know they lost their lives doing what they loved doing. They flew for fun, not 'professionally', in the sense we would normally associate with the term. Nevertheless, they were very professional in their flying, and 'can do' in their outlook. Although very different charachters, they complimented each other hugely. As individuals and as a pair, they will be sorely missed by many in the GA helicopter community.

I count myself extremely lucky to have been fortunate enough to have had the great pleasure and honour of knowing these two men and having been able to share some of their infectious passion for helicopter flying. Between them, through our collective involvement with the Helicopter Club, they taught me about enjoying flying and it is this lesson that I have subsequently always tried to instill in all with whom I fly.

My sincere condolencies and best wishes to the families and loved ones left behind.

John Jackson 'JJ'

THM
9th Dec 2010, 21:27
JJ

Agree with your words 100%.

Missing two real gentlemen and great friends.

Sincere condolences to both families.

AN

heliguy50
9th Dec 2010, 22:28
JJ, devastating news, two of the nicest guys I have ever met and I am privileged to have known them both. I have had the sad task of passing the news round some foreign friends, its a very sad day for aviation!!! They were in Belarus recently and where watchng while Gunther Zimmer crashed, they where both quite shaken it did bring home to them for the first time how easy it is to crash!!
They were travelling from Cuneo to deliver another R22 but I didnt know where it happened. I still cannot take it in that they will no longer be around, never saw then once with a sad or angry face, always had a smile for you!!!

Sincere condolences doesnt seem to be enough but I cant think of anything that better describes how I feel!!!!!

Colin

Whirlygig
10th Dec 2010, 05:29
I am truly stunned .... and can only echo JJ's words at the moment.

Great guys and their family and friends have my deepest sympathies.

Whirls

Keepitup
10th Dec 2010, 05:46
For unknown reasons, two 'Gentlemen' of the heli world have been taken.

We had the pleasure of knowing them and sharing in their stories and adventures. Both will be sadly missed including the hat.

Very sad day for Aviation.

My thoughts and prayers goto the families at this time.

RIP

JM (Keepitup)

rotorboater
10th Dec 2010, 13:15
2 great guys and very good pilots RIP

Need money
10th Dec 2010, 14:35
BBC News - Two Herefordshire men die in helicopter crash in France (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-11970524)

Cows getting bigger
10th Dec 2010, 15:36
Long shot, but I'm pretty sure I met these chaps at Carlisle a few weeks back (27 Oct), ferrying a 22 down from Scotland with a 44 riding 'shotgun'. Can someone confirm or deny?

Sad news.

JTobias
10th Dec 2010, 15:41
I've just heard about this whilst abroad, i'm absolutely gutted, I knew Martin quite well and Simon 'by association' with Martin. Two fantastic characters that brightened the lives of those involved in the helicopter community.

I'm proud to have known them both.

Devastated, my thoughts are with friends and family.

Joel

PENNINE BOY
10th Dec 2010, 16:10
Really sad news,never met Martin but had quite alot of conversations on the phone with him, seemed a character!

RIP

heliheaven
10th Dec 2010, 17:14
RIP chaps!

General Mutley
10th Dec 2010, 19:47
I can't believe this. I only knew Martin and had flown with him many times - very professional pilot and he taught me a lot.
A great loss.
R.I.P

eivissa
10th Dec 2010, 20:39
Same for me. I only met Martin once at Helitech 2009 and we had a very nice, but short chat. My sincere condolences to the close ones and to all those who knew them better than I did.

eivissa.

10th Dec 2010, 20:42
I first met Martin 25 years ago when he was an active member of the Long Mynd Hang Gliding Club. I did not know Simon. In those days there was a pecking order and the old hands expected sprogs to learn the hard way.

This was not the attitude of old-hand Martin, he always extended the hand of encouragement and warmth to any flyer.

I can still see him now, striding through the purple heather of the Mynd, setting sun to his back, booming some friendly advice and comfort as I lay underneath a smashed glider with equally damaged collar bone. He canceled his flying, took charge, sat me down, summoned the ambulance and secured my glider. (His father was a Doctor I understand). I bought his Hang Glider off him some months later.

You always came away from a conversation with Martin feeling better about things. He had a knack of putting the mundane into perspective, cutting through the crap and pointing to the clouds.

If there was ever one person to have around when things weren’t too good it was him. If there was ever one person I was proud to know it was him. If there was ever anyone who was designed to be in a cockpit it was him.

Fly away Martin.

Pete.

DennisK
10th Dec 2010, 20:50
What can one say ... an especially horrid and particularly sad loss. Martin was such a sociable, lovable, easy going and fun guy ... the trademark 'hat' and the constant banter from the pair of them. In these heart rending circumstances one cannot believe that we members of the British team will never share and enjoy their company again. So sorely to be missed. My heart goes out to the families and may our god bless them.

Dennis Kenyon

bizjets101
10th Dec 2010, 21:53
Fly Q | Home | Helicopter Sales | New and Pre-Owned | Robinson | Agusta | Bell | Eurocopter (http://www.fly-q.co.uk/) photos of Martin and Simon from Belarus

Announcement from Fly Q
It is with sadness that we announce that our dear friends and colleagues, Martin Rutty and Simon Lichtenstein, died yesterday. The Robinson R22 helicopter crashed shortly after take off from Sospel, Nice, coming down in the densely wooded Tourrettes-sur-Loup valley.
They had left Sospel at 9.00 am on a bright and clear day bound for Avignon. Eyewitness reports indicate catastrophic mechanical failure exacerbated by strong headwinds. The authorities at Nice have started their investigation and family members will be travelling to France over the course of the next few days.
Martin and Simon have been long term pilots, flying together since 1999. They were highly experienced pilots having held four British championship titles and represented the British Helicopter Team in the past four world championships, most recently in Belarus. Presently, we do not know who was piloting the helicopter.
Our thoughts and sympathies are with Martin's and Simon's families.
10th December 2010

Chris P Bacon
10th Dec 2010, 22:57
Shared a few days with Martin at the Heli Russia show in Moscow last year. He certainly turned a few heads over there with his ever present hat. Very nice guy and my condolences to family and friends.

Apnoea
10th Dec 2010, 23:01
I had the privilege of competing against both Martin and Simon in several Helichamps, and against Martin in the International Helimeet. Gentlemen both, and a pleasure to have known them. The world of rotary GA is diminshed by their sad loss. I hope and trust that the usual restraint against speculation in these matters will endure on this forum - though imho some posters should perhaps have considered their impact before clicking 'submit'.

How fondly do I remember those white, short-sleeve flight suits at the Helimeet - www.fine.thanks (http://www.fine.thanks)!

A fine pair of aviators, who will be sadly missed at any future gathering...

Heli Fat
10th Dec 2010, 23:22
They will both be missed in the aviation industry. Thoughts with both families

helidriver
11th Dec 2010, 08:15
Very sad to hear this news. I competed against Simon and Martin on many occasions in the British Helicopter Championships and was also in the British Team for the World Championship in Rouen in 2005 with both Simon and Martin. Martin and I also crossed a few social circles and I know the wider audience will a poorer a place without him. Absolutely devastating news for their families and the aviation community.

Flying West

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where pilots can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy could buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,
Nor a management -type would e'er be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke!
The kind of a place where a lady could go,
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.
There MUST be a place where old pilots go, when
Their wings become weary, when their airspeed gets low;
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd "flown west" before,
And they'd call out your name, as you came thru the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if the thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"
And then thru the mist you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen for years, though he'd taught YOU to fly,
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased you are here!
For this is the place where true flyers come,
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won;
We've come here at last, to be safe and afar,
From the government clerk, and the management czar,
Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise,
Where all Hours are Happy, and these good ol' boys,
Can relax with a 'cool one', and a well deserved rest.."
"This is Heaven, my son: You've passed your last check!"

Condolences from Mr and Mrs h.

Epiphany
11th Dec 2010, 08:30
Never had to good fortune to meet these men but from reading the comments here they were obviously fine people and excellent examples to other pilots in our industry. A very sad loss. RIP.

md 600 driver
11th Dec 2010, 10:31
RIP Martin and simon

2 of the ncest men you could meet they will be sorely missed by all

if anyone knows of any arrangements will they post please

steve

Pandalet
11th Dec 2010, 10:58
My first overseas flight from the UK was ferrying a 44 to Cuneo with Martin. I learned so much from that, and Martin was so willing to teach. We stayed in contact since, and he was always ready to answer questions or provide useful bits of advice.

I only met Simon once, through Martin. Simon provided a reassuring down-to-Earth presence, radiating quiet confidence. He was an ideal counterfoil to Martin's ebullience.

RIP, you lived the life, were an inspiration, and you will be sorely missed.

Heliport
11th Dec 2010, 13:04
http://www.nicematin.com/media_nicematin/imagecache/article-taille-normale-nm/PILOTES.jpg

RIP

Heli-Jock
11th Dec 2010, 15:51
I cant believe this, i knew Martin from when he bought my R22 off me back in September last year and arranged for it to be flown down from Edinburgh and rebuilt in Italy! He was a really nice guy and a good pilot. This could put me off flying R22's now,,,if this can happen to Martin, it can happen to anyone, regardless of experience or skill.

RIP Fellas.

Homer256
12th Dec 2010, 12:21
Had the pleasure of meeting Martin on a few occassions. He was a man who was full of energy with regards to flying. Afraid I did not know him well socially but I'm sure he brought this energy and enthusiasm to everything he turned his hand too.

He will be greatly missed by the flying community.

RIP

radarlove
12th Dec 2010, 19:00
The first I head of this tragedy was when Sky News contacted me to ask if they could use the photo that 'Heliport' has linked to ... naturally, there was never any question that they could.

In 2005 I was the official photographer at the World Helicopter Championships at Rouen and, being a fellow Brit, when the British Team flew in, I was naturally drawn to them - when you miss the language and that 'biting' sense of humour, you'd do anything to be a part of it.

I cannot claim that I ever 'knew' Martin Rutty and Simon Lichtenstein, but once you're all lumped in together at Rouen Boos airfield for 5 days, characters tend to stand out - and that hat of Martin's could be seen from a l-o-n-g way away.

The entire British Team made me most welcome and in return for shielding me from the rain and pushing cans of Tizer in my direction, they went home with a reasonable collection of photos (as did the magazine Rotor Torque).

It was following the accident last Thursday that I discovered that Martin and Simon both witnessed the last flight of Gunter Zimmer. I bumped into Herr Zimmer at Montbéliard on a European Championship.

A very sad time for all those involved in Helicopters.

Stuart
Stuart McAlister (http://www.stuart-mcalister.com)

IkeySolomon
12th Dec 2010, 21:18
Words cannot express how I feel about this sad loss.

It was Martin that inspired me to do my licence when I was working with him for a year and then bought my company off him. Both Martin & Simon where really nice people and I can hear Martin's standard reponse when picking up the phone to me "Now then, Now then" as we caught up with each other every 6 months.

My thoughts are with his family at this very sad time.

Steven

macfloogle
15th Dec 2010, 16:13
I had the pleasure of getting to know Martin and Simon quite well over the past five years and a more dedicated pair of Aviators would be difficult to find.

They were inseparable as friends and it is tragic beyond words that this had to happen.

Like everyone else has said the Aviation World has lost two "great guys". I will miss them both very much.

With great sadness

Macfloogle.

jackx123
18th Dec 2010, 20:02
Looking at one of the pictures it seems the MR was not turning. One of the blades look seemingly straight and intact.

Any idea

HeddW
18th Dec 2010, 21:50
It was a great pleasure knowing both Martin and Simon, two fun loving gents who will be missed

Flying the flag (and a bra) in Germany 2009

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/heddle01/IMG_4784.jpg

And 2010 at Sywell...

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/heddle01/P6190624.jpg

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/heddle01/P6190621.jpg

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/heddle01/P6190626.jpg

Runway101
10th Jan 2011, 06:10
I am just speechless, I have met Martin and Simon in Switzerland and helped them ferry a R44 to the heli meeting in Grenchen last march. RIP both of you, you will be missed.

Scissorlink
10th Jan 2011, 06:35
Once again experienced guys get killed in a R22. Any cause yet on this one or is going into the unexplained pot with all the other's?

IkeySolomon
13th Jan 2011, 21:26
Hi,

Has anyone heard when the funeral might be?

Ikey

boundless
14th Jan 2011, 20:45
Simon's funeral was held at Yarpole village church at 3 pm on Monday 27th of December. A very strong Simon type smile shine, for those that missed it, can be found reflecting from the obituary (http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2011/jan/05/simon-lichtenstein-obituary) that appeared in the Guardian newspaper a few days later, beautifully penned by his sister Jane.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/1/5/1294251534716/Simon-Lichtenstein-007.jpg

Like Byron (or was it Shelley?) I'm sure that Simon, dead, sure as heck hasn't finished his living.

I only flew with Martin once, that was enough to know that I'll never again see good flying done as well again..

Keepitup
12th Nov 2012, 15:51
Dear All,

Please find below, link to the BEA Report on Mr Rutty's Helicopter crash in France in 2010.

Sorry, but it is in French

http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2010/g-vl101209/pdf/g-vl101209.pdf

Regards

Keep it Up

liftman
12th Nov 2012, 18:08
I just read some basic french, if i I am not wrong reading the reports appears to be an "innapropriate" ( word is not mine, is on report) pilot action encountering moderate to severe turbulence thus leading MR to hit fusolage.

Again I suppose we deal with R22 safety...is this helicopter safe or not?

FSXPilot
12th Nov 2012, 20:23
I think we go with mostly yes until the wind blows or the blades fall to bits.

212man
12th Nov 2012, 21:44
They basically say it was press-on-itis (« objectif destination »)into very strong turbulent conditions caused by the Mistral over the terrain, probably associated with ignorance of the local conditions, that led to loss of control and a tailboom strike by a main rotor. With 50 kt winds not uncommon, over pretty hilly terrain, it can get really rough there and you wouldn't want to be bouncing around in anything at 500 ft (last witness said about 150m) - let alone an R22! The synoptic chart included, indicates severe turbulence from SFC-10,000ft.

jymil
13th Nov 2012, 21:21
The machine was at max gross weight at the time of accident, therefore it was overweight at takeoff. However that didnt cause the crash. But 59kts at 1500 AGL doesn't sound like an R22 flying day to me. Apparently, the Mistral can blow quite strong down there.

Pittsextra
13th Nov 2012, 22:07
Not sure 59 knts sounds much fun in any light helicopter tbh....

toptobottom
14th Nov 2012, 18:46
The R22 POH specifically says

(i) Flight when surface wind exceeds 25kt, including gusts, is prohibited
(ii) Flight when surface wind gust speeds exceed 15kt is prohibited
(iii) Continued flight in moderate, severe or extreme turbulence is prohibited

This will be at least the 16th R22 accident caused by main rotor divergence since the NTSB conducted a detailed study following the implementation of new training requirements (SFAR 73 and AD 95-26-04) and at least the 3rd attributable to possible turbulence.

I only flew about 800 hours in Robbies and I have flew an R44 in 50kt gusting 65kt through the mountains - it wasn't fun. An overweight R22 in those winds, even with Martin and Simon's experience...?! :sad:

Dynamic Roller
14th Nov 2012, 19:32
The R22 POH specifically says

(i) Flight when surface wind exceeds 25kt, including gusts, is prohibited
(ii) Flight when surface wind gust speeds exceed 15kt is prohibited
(iii) Continued flight in moderate, severe or extreme turbulence is prohibited

According to the POH, those restrictions are for students or low-time pilots (less than 200 total, 50 in type).

Helinut
14th Nov 2012, 19:35
The main elements of this accident seem to be pretty clear:

Press-on-itis/Get YouHomeitis/Objectif Destination (That is a lovely French term)
They had made an abortive attempt to get back to blighty the previous day via Chamonix, but turned back due weather. The aircraft had been sold and it was being flown to its new owner.

Not clear whether they had got a forecast, but the forecast and actual was a mistral. This gives a strong NW turbulent wind over the Alpes Maritime. I am not a local, but I have recovered a number of helicopters off ships from the Nice area back to the UK (AS355/EC135). With those conditions, I think I would have gone back to the beach.

As ttb points out, this flight seemed to contravene the AFM limitations.

I thought the "principal" conclusion of the report that the accident was caused by inappropriate manipulation of the controls was a bit dubious. In the apparent absence of evidence, I would have thought that simply being in that piece of air was the problem.Not sure that any fancy control manipulation would have altered the outcome:the problem was choosing that route and not turning around when the conditions deteriorated.

Very sad.

HeliHenri
14th Nov 2012, 20:00
that led to loss of control and a tailboom strike by a main rotor

Hello 212man,

Just to say that it's not a tailboom strike, the report says that one of the blade hit the windscreen and the left skid and then broken up.

toptobottom
14th Nov 2012, 20:25
DR - you're right :O, but even an experienced pilot would struggle in those conditions, especiallly in an R22. For the MR to strike the canopy and left skid, the mast bumping must have been severe (obviously). I imagine it must have almost impossible to fly without 'large and/or abrupt control inputs' that would have caused this directly, or to have induced blade stall, which would have in turn caused it.

daniel-fr06
15th Nov 2012, 15:28
I am the witness n° 2 of the report.
At the exact time of the accident, I flew my Rotorway 10 NM west of the accident location and I had to return to Cannes airport because of the extreme turbulence I encountered near Grasse. Fifteen minutes before, when I took off from Cannes I had 40° windshift angle at 300 ft AGE but approaching the mountains, I began to experience vertical turbulences changing load factor that forced me to return. The meterological conditions are very specific here and everybody could have fell in this trap (including me at the first position)
Let's fly safely and avoid excess of confidence.
Dan 300h TT in rotorcraft, 16000 h fixed wing, mountains flights rated, FI.

daniel-fr06
15th Nov 2012, 15:33
In my humble opinion, introducing strong inputs in the cyclic or not isn't a factor.
Even if you do nothing, the low G factor caused by vertical drafts will put you down.

Helinut
15th Nov 2012, 17:53
Daniel,

I am inclined to agree with you. The mistake was not how the controls were moved, but being and staying in that area.

FLY 7
8th Mar 2013, 19:50
I see there is a 9-page 'analysis' of this accident in the latest edition of Rotor Torque (HCGB's periodical). Makes interesting reading, but surprised and disappointed how so much blame is apportioned to one person.

FSXPilot
8th Mar 2013, 20:15
Have you read the BEA's accident report. It is only available in French but the bottom line is they flew into conditions that where quite beyond what most helicopters would have been able to withstand let alone an R22.

Helinut
8th Mar 2013, 22:47
FLY7,

Is that analysis availableto non-members somehow?

John R81
9th Mar 2013, 06:35
The HCGB article by Richard Mprnington-Sanford was excellent (Rotor Torque, Spring 2013 p20-28) and it sumerised the BEA report.

FLY 7
9th Mar 2013, 08:45
Is that analysis availableto non-members somehow?

Someone would need to upload it, or you could maybe get a copy from HCGB. I wasn't entirely comfortable with the article.

Hughes500
9th Mar 2013, 10:28
Fly 7

The article might be short and sharp but you dont get many goes in a helicopter espically Frank's products, so if it is sobering reading so be it. I am sure Martin would want it passed on so someone else doesnt f... up

toptobottom
9th Mar 2013, 12:44
Well, I thought it was an excellent article. The only disappointing thing was the predictable conclusion. Yet again, ego and arrogance eclipses common sense; an attitude that seems to infect too many pilots, regardless of skill level and experience.

FLY 7
9th Mar 2013, 15:06
Yes, at first read, an excellent and informative personal analysis by the author, with a very clear conclusion and direction of blame.

I knew Martin, and was disappointed that so much blame was attributed to him, but if he was categorically at fault then so be it, and we should all learn from it.

However, very little in the article is said about the helicopter - the R22 - and the author is Robinson Helicopter's Accident Technical Investigator. This means that he is no doubt highly qualified but not entirely independent. Only an observation.

Hughes500
9th Mar 2013, 16:20
Fly 7 sorry see where you are coming from, you are right Tricky Dicky is a Robbo man ra ra ra, they can do nothing wrong.

Thomas coupling
9th Mar 2013, 16:39
Any one out there able to post a transcript of the report on here?

Helinut
9th Mar 2013, 17:02
I have not had the benefit of seeing Dick's article, although I have read the French report (with limited french comprehension). Certainly Dick is an R22 proponent: he also knows a lot about them.

I am ambivalent about the R22. It enabled me to afford to become a commercial pilot, and in that respect I am truly grateful. I have 2,000+ hrs on the type, gained around 20 years ago, mainly instructing. I actually owned 2. IMO, there are far too many loss of rotor control accidents in the type. IMO, some are down to the pilot. More worryingly, some seem to be random and not due to operation at/beyond the limit of the flight envelope. I really worry about those. I don't believe they are well understood. Personally, close to the end of my professional flying career I am not prepared to take the apparently random risk of flying the type. I still have a deep love for flying: it has enriched my life immeasurably. I would like to fly for pleasure, but I won't fly the R22.

Having said all that, you have to fly the helicopter you are given (or choose). A light, small 2 blade aircraft with a teetering head will not respond well in severe turbulence.The Mistral around the Alps Maritime is not a place to be in a light helicopter (pretty much any helicopter). An R22 is not the aircraft to take into or near mountains on a very windy day.

If I understand the French report:

the investigation was unable to establish what weather reports were used in the decision to fly. It would be interesting to know what information they acquired before setting off.

I believe the accident report took the view that the accident was caused my mis-manipulation of the controls. I don't know what others think, but I am not at all sure that the best ace R22 stick-poler in the world could have coped with those conditions.

In my view, the problem was setting off into that area with the prevailing conditions, and then not getting out of there, as soon as the turbulence began to be experienced.

None of which makes it any less sad.

Helinut
9th Mar 2013, 17:16
TC,

The french accident report link was posted earlier in this thread:

http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2010/g-vl...g-vl101209.pdf

It is too long to post. I got a Google translate, but it was unable to translate sensibly much of the technical information. I used schoolboy French to dig out some of the meaning. There was direct evidence from RT with ATC and a radar trace, but very little about flight planning. The examination of the wreckage was suitably chilling. One MR blade struck a skid!

topendtorque
9th Mar 2013, 19:30
Having said all that, you have to fly the helicopter you are given (or choose). A light, small 2 blade aircraft with a teetering head will not respond well in severe turbulence.The Mistral around the Alps Maritime is not a place to be in a light helicopter (pretty much any helicopter). An R22 is not the aircraft to take into or near mountains on a very windy day.

If I understand the French report:

the investigation was unable to establish what weather reports were used in the decision to fly. It would be interesting to know what information they acquired before setting off.

I believe the accident report took the view that the accident was caused my mis-manipulation of the controls. I don't know what others think, but I am not at all sure that the best ace R22 stick-poler in the world could have coped with those conditions.

In my view, the problem was setting off into that area with the prevailing conditions, and then not getting out of there, as soon as the turbulence began to be experienced.

None of which makes it any less sad.

I think you have put that very well. It may be possible to add that it may not have mattered where the cyclic was at the time that the mast bumping or M/R divergence occurred.

If the aircraft is undergoing vertical acceleration due to air currents and then suddenly placed in a vertically descending air current, the die may well have been cast especially if the collective lever was just positioned at near zero lift.
Coupled to that if there was little forward air speed perhaps because of a natural and trained tendency to reduce forward airspeed in the turbulence, then of course it matters nought where the cyclic was positioned or as you say able to be positioned with any experience level.

Thank you Helinut, you have explained it well enough for me and as you say doesn't make it less sad.

Apart from anything else if suitable warnings about penetration into excessive turbulence are not in future heeded because of this then the helicopter world will be a poorer place for it.

If an aircraft was being blown upwards it would take a mighty strange reaction for any pilot to be leaving the collective up for the possible advent of the reciprocal air current, but had they the outcome may well have been far happier.
Let's not forget that at the interface between the vertically ascending and descending air currents there may well have been small pockets of rolling turbulence such that the leading edge of the disc was first being pushed downwards before the whole disc had penetrated the descending current. An ideal set up for mast bumping to occur.

Those sorts of wind eddies are often seen in the converging of conflicting air currents at ground level in the horizontal plane and witnessed by dust eddies or whirlwinds as we say, but of course the air flows within them air often much faster than the air-flows of the convergent currents.

Dick Sanford
10th Mar 2013, 15:08
To all. This was one of the most difficult articles that I have written. It reflects my personal opinion as too what lead to the accident. It is my opinion that; no matter what helicopter type you were flying, it was not the conditions conducive to safe flight. The sole purpose of the article is to inform and hopefully prevent others from falling into this particular trap. For those that are mistakenly under the impression that I am somehow motivated to protect the Robinson product do not know me. My first and only conseren is that of " flight safety" if it was a Robinson product problem I would tell you, just as RHC would. Just because I am an RHC accident/ Technical Investigator does not in anyway deflect me from the primary task, that of the safety of all those that fly helicopters no matter what type. For those who wish to read the article can find it in my wedsite.
Fly safely, keep you RPM in the green. D

toptobottom
10th Mar 2013, 15:29
Dick

Can you post a direct link? I couldn't find the article on www.morningtonsanfordaviation.com (http://www.morningtonsanfordaviation.com) and the HCGB article is protected by copyright.

Ta
TTB

Dick Sanford
10th Mar 2013, 15:42
Hi TTB, I am currently in Moscow on my way home to Kota Kinabalu. The article will be available on website in the next few days, sorry for the delay. R

212man
10th Mar 2013, 23:48
Dick, I see we are neighbours! If you ever get over the border you are very welcome to visit the BSP operation. I enjoyed browsing through your website, but am puzzled by the constant omission of 'fl' and 'fi' from the article titles - is it a software glitch?

Dick Sanford
11th Mar 2013, 03:07
Hi 212man, which boarder? Brunei? Will have a look at the website in a sec and see what the problem is, thank's for pointing it out. Well, I know that I have one person looking at the website apart from me. Take care, keep the RPM in the green. D

skillsndrills
11th Mar 2013, 09:54
Great website, thanks Dick.

Please can you make sure that this website is promoted at Helicopter FI seminars.

This is great reading for students, PPL's (especially PPL's!) and instructors alike.

Keep up the good work.

Dick Sanford
11th Mar 2013, 15:02
Dear skillsndrills. Thank you for you comments, pleased you find the website useful. I do not think the CAA would like anything other than approved materials to be recommended for the FI seminars, I use to teach the helicopter subjects for two of the organisations conducting them and enjoyed the opertunity to make contact with the instructors. Keep the RPM in the green. D

jackx123
11th Mar 2013, 15:58
DS: is that dude cliff still floating around your neck of the woods or has he been apprehended yet?:cool:

2Sticks
11th Mar 2013, 19:46
I read Dick's article in Rotor Torque and reflected on what a difficult article it must have been to write, particularly considering the closeness of the helicopter flying community. Far easier to 'go with the flow' than take on the task of reporting the facts as you see them - particularly when you consider where Dick was writing that article I.e. Rotor Torque, the magazine of the Helicopter Club where those killed were clearly very loved members. And I would just add that I've never had the pleasure of meeting Dick, but no doubt will when I manage to get myself on one of the Robbo safety courses that I believe he runs.

2S.

Dick Sanford
12th Mar 2013, 12:01
Hi jackx123. Yes, my very good friend Cliff is; alive, well and kicking. He of course lives just across the water in KL and we live in Borneo KK. Cliff has made a real name for himself in Malaysia ( a good one that is) and has a lovely family (3 girls).

Dick Sanford
13th Mar 2013, 10:45
Sorry for the delay in getting the HCGB article posted onto my website but for those who wish to read it can now do so athttp://www.morningtonsanfordaviation.com under articles. Keep your RPM in the green. D

finalchecksplease
13th Mar 2013, 12:27
Hi Dick,

Just read your article, I like to commend you for it; it is very well written and has a clear “learn from this mishap “ lesson for every pilot whatever one’s level of experience.

Keep on harping!

Regards,

Finalchecksplease

Swiss Cheese
13th Mar 2013, 15:43
I found this article to be helpful on quite a few issues. I note that the BEA reports are different in style to the AAIB reports, with the BEA being more pointed about certain aspects of piloting.

Is there any chance of another learned article on main rotor divergence on the R22, given the safety recommendations of the AAIB in relation to "loss of main rotor control" in their 2/2013 Bulletin relating to G-CHZN. This recent AAIB Bulletin is required reading for all R22 pilots and students.

Cylinder Head
13th Mar 2013, 17:07
Excellent article Dick - should be mandatory reading for all licence holders.

212man
14th Mar 2013, 00:49
Great article! (BTW - I sent you a PM, Dick)

Dick Sanford
14th Mar 2013, 03:37
I am very pleased to hear that some of you found the HCGB article useful, this was my sole intention and I hope it has given a small in site into why some of these dreadful events happen. As it happens I am in the process of writing another article on my views on the lost skill of manual throttle skills which can lead to Low RPM Rotor Stall and the subsequent loss of 'main rotor control' and possibly 'main rotor divergence'. We seem to have forgotten that the pilot is the 'primary governor' and not the aircraft's engine governor.

I did get your e-mail 212man, I will take you up on your kind offer at some point, I am in the MAS lounge at the moment on my way to Bangladesh to conduct some R66 training.

Thanks to all for the positive comments, it is easy to shoot the messenger.

Keep your RPM in the green.

Regards

D

topendtorque
18th Mar 2013, 00:03
Does this mean that we can put to bed the R44 accident which occurred in turbulent air on its delivery flight from the factory not long back and perhaps other unexplained M/R divergence accidents?
tet.

chalmondleigh
20th Mar 2013, 12:40
The official report is available in English on the BEA website but not easy to find.

http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2010/g-vl101209.en/pdf/g-vl101209.en.pdf

Much better than using Google.

ALEXLANDERS
3rd Jan 2014, 19:01
Just read this, which I think is more accurate. Besides half the facts reported previously are not correct.
At last some sense two mates, two pilots dual control we will never know!
I think Geriant Herbert got in right we will never know who was flying.. pity this was not taken into consideration.
Check out High winds could have brought Little Hereford man's copter down (From Ludlow Advertiser) (http://www.ludlowadvertiser.co.uk/news/10887682.High_winds_could_have_brought_Little_Hereford_man__ 39_s_copter_down/)

birrddog
4th Jan 2014, 01:58
If not inappropriate, could someone please either post or pm their PPRuNE handles?

Did not know them though would appreciate knowing which Rotorheads we lost.

Birrddog

787-1
4th Jan 2014, 08:46
If not inappropriate, could someone please either post or pm their PPRuNe handles?

Did not know them though would appreciate knowing which Rotorheads we lost.

Birrddog
http://www.pprune.org/members/76526-biggles99