PDA

View Full Version : CrewAlert iPhone App

Padawan Learner
9th Dec 2010, 17:08
Has anybody tried this iphone app?

CrewAlert iPhone App | Jeppesen (http://www.jeppesen.com/industry-solutions/aviation/commercial/CrewAlert_iPhoneApp.jsp)

Could be interesting to see the results from the different airlines....

Easy Ryder
9th Dec 2010, 17:36
Very Interesting. ;)

Good find

reak6ion
9th Dec 2010, 18:32
Indeed,it seems to be very interesting will try to download it and give it a try ;)
Thank you for sharing.

Kamelchaser
9th Dec 2010, 21:21
Very interesting! Now we can actually proactively check our predicted fatigue levels before we undertake a duty, rather than the current EK system, which tells you after the event that, yes, indeed, you were fatigued.

It astounds me that given the technology these days, our rosters are not run through the "SAFE" program unless somebody actually reports a fatigue issue. The SAFE software system seems to be kept under lock and key and only bought out when absolutely necessary!

EK claims to be a world leader in fatigue "management" (A.K.A creation). I will certainly be buying this program and comparing it with EKs own assessment. Should be interesting.

Easy Ryder
9th Dec 2010, 21:46
It seems its unavailable for purchase through the UAE App store - no problem through the UK one though....... :hmm:

ekpilot
10th Dec 2010, 08:06
Looks like someone may discover he is tired :E I think it is a must application to have as an EK flight crew and especially cabin crew. This app and a good electronic log book so you can see how close you are operating to the max flight time limitations all the time.

I'm getting it so I can keep discovering:ok:

reak6ion
10th Dec 2010, 08:12
couldnt find it on the UAE Appstore :(

ennui
11th Dec 2010, 18:39
Got it on my Oz iTune account.

Already a fatigue warning for my next flight.

Better try for a sleep then, but for some reason I'm not tired???????

Anyone know an automated process to import the roster to the app?

ennui
12th Dec 2010, 03:34
This from the Jeppesen FAQ re the app!

Why is CrewAlert not available in the iTunes App Store in my country?
Unfortunately, we are not able to offer CrewAlert in a number of countries, due to tax implications. Please investigate if you are able to purchase the application in the US App Store instead.

Cheers!

ManaDubai
13th Dec 2010, 16:59
Beside the "fun" factor, what will you do if the App tells you that you are fatigued?

Report to the management that your Iphone App told you that you're fatigued?

"Oh, happy day the pilots have downloaded an App that tells them they are fatigued, now we must take action!"

Yup yup, no doubt.

jimmyg
6th Jan 2011, 21:51
Jeppesen iPhone app among new tools for managing pilot fatigue
Mary Kirby, Philadelphia (06Jan11, 09:12 GMT, 404 words)

Boeing's Jeppesen unit has integrated fatigue risk management (FRM) functionality with its crew management system, and released a related first-of-its-kind Apple iPhone application, as the industry prepares to adopt new regulations requiring the implementation of pilot fatigue management systems.
Jeppesen says the FRM solution takes into consideration predicted levels of fatigue when generating and maintaining crew schedules. The predictions are based on the Boeing Alertness Model (BAM), developed jointly by Boeing and Jeppesen, and itself based on a modified version of the long-validated Three Process Model of Alertness, which contains circadian and homeostatic components to yield predicted alertness.
The modular design of the FRM solution, however, allows operators to make use of alternative alertness models if desired.
A BAM-based iPhone application called CrewAlert has also been released by Jeppesen. Available in the Apple App Store at a cost of $19.99, CrewAlert is billed as "the first app designed specifically to help airlines and their crews manage alertness and fatigue".
After entering a few key pieces of information, including departure and arrival time, number of legs, and time zone shift, CrewAlert "allows crew members to visualize the impact of planned schedule on future alertness", says Jeppesen.
CrewAlert also allows for data, collected in actual operations, "to be fed back into" an airline's FRM system "for purposes of correlation with other pilot data and further refinement of the FRM model".
Pilot fatigue came under severe scrutiny by lawmakers in the aftermath of the February 2009 crash of a Colgan Air Bombardier Q400 turboprop. During the subsequent investigation questions arose over the carrier's monitoring of crew practices related to fatigue management. In compliance with a Congressional mandate, the US FAA recently released a proposed rule requiring part 121 operators to develop a safety management system (SMS). The law also requires FAA to mandate that operators develop fatigue management plans, replacing existing regulations on flight time limitations (FTL).
Jeppesen notes that pre-flight FRM risk assessments, available through the Jeppesen crew management solution suite, provide an essential element of an operator's SMS.
"For years, rules implemented at company, regulatory and union levels limited duty times of crew with the intent of managing fatigue. Our fatigue management solutions - with the integration of industry-recognized alertness models into our crew management software, plus the CrewAlert mobile application - now allow airlines and their crew to enhance flight safety and maintain efficient operations," says Tim Huegel, director, Jeppesen portfolio management, aviation.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

geo7E7
18th Jan 2011, 10:51
You can get it from US itunes store (it won't be listed in UAE itunes). Click on "change country" at the bottom of your itunes store's page and select US/UK/Oz and search under crewalert. You can purchase the apps for USD19.99. Payable through all major credit cards or just use US itunes giftcard - safe and quick!

Good stuff and enjoy it guys.:ok:

MosEisley
20th Jan 2011, 08:23
Every pilot with an iphone or ipad should have this tool. Even if you choose not to call fatigued for flight where low levels of alertness are predicted, at least you can try to mitigate the effect or be prepared for when you may be at risk. Also, objective data from an outside, uninterested party may shed some light on the reality of fatigue at any airline.

tubby linton
11th Jul 2011, 17:32
For those of you that use this app what do you set your alertness levels to? The standard levels show me as still alert even when I know I am not.

beppo
4th Apr 2013, 15:39
Re the comment about knowing in advance, if a duty will be "risky", ASL's Crew Management module/system does the check as part of roster validation, when the rosters are constructed - and continuously monitors changes.

SubsonicMortal
4th Apr 2013, 18:27
It is now possible to pre-load your entire months roster automatically into Crew Alert by using the Roster Buster iphone app (see rosterbuster.com). I've been using roster buster for almost a year now and can't live without this app on my iphone. I've not used the feature yet to export the roster to Crew Alert but I know it is an option within the app. Another cool feature of the app is that it allows you to automatically export your flights to Log Ten mobile and thus "pre-logging" flights. All that is left for you to do on the day of the flight is to enter the aircraft registration number, crew names and actual times. It's a neat feature.

Thridle Op Des
6th Apr 2013, 06:10
..and you can export from Log Ten Pro iPad directly into CrewAlert on your iPad

Desert185
6th Apr 2013, 15:54
Frankly, I'm amused (in a somewhat concerned way) that a professional pilot would need an App to know if he/she is, or will be, fatigued...like needing a flight director or autopilot in order to fly a basic ILS approach or enter holding. If you need an App to know if you're fatigued to the point of being unsafe, then you're in the wrong profession. What the heck has this industry become?

You might be less fatigued by not having to carry the $20 you once had in your wallet/purse...:rolleyes:

Glad I'm not a chief pilot in today's version of aviation. Was it a Nike ad that said, "Just do it"? Good advice for the excuse driven Gen X and Y (why).

jack schidt
6th Apr 2013, 17:02
Emirates uses a factored hours system for augment crew who spend the same amount of time on the aircraft as the main "operating crew" and yet they log only a proportion of the hours. That said crew then can operate more hours that month than the main crew on that ULR as they only could log a proportion of the hours under the current scheme. Fair and honest and as tiring as the main crew, give me a break. I hear that there might well be changes coming that states that the current system is flawed and will have to change so that both crews are equally credited towards the maximum hours per month that they can fly. Both crews on the aircraft suffer the same amount of fatigue, period!

An App like this is not a sole device to tell you that you are fatigued, but it is the ONLY professional guideline that is offered to back up your own justification and feeling that you are fatigued, not tired, fatigued. A very useful backup to your own assumptions I would say.

Rgds

Jack