PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 sim card

A330guy
8th Dec 2010, 04:02
I need a company letter to get a small sim card for my new phone but the company doesn't give letters..??

Does this mean I can't use my new toy? :-(((

sabersass
8th Dec 2010, 04:20
I did it without a letter, when asked if I had the letter(bid surprise to me). Looked at him blankly and said you've got to be kidding. When I explained that I was leaving the next AM for a month of leave and would be without my phone he did it without the letter! Said that if he was later asked he would simply admit to an error in his paperwork, very unusual costumer service for DXB. Good luck.

MrMachfivepointfive
8th Dec 2010, 04:58
Download a micro SSIM template...

MicroSIM template.pdf (http://www.mediafire.com/?ztyuzyt5jaz)

... and use a pair of sissors on your normal sized SSIM card. Works like a charm, the chip is the same.

test7875
8th Dec 2010, 05:12
All you need is a meat cleaver

How To Convert a SIM to a MicroSIM with a Meat Cleaver! (http://www.johnbenson.net/How_to_Convert_a_SIM_to_a_MicroSIM_with_a_Meat_Cleaver/How_to_Convert_a_SIM_to_a_MicroSIM_with_a_Meat_Cleaver.html)

Jet II
8th Dec 2010, 05:33
Most electronic stores (Jacky's, jumbo etc) have a cutter that will trim your existing card.

motley flight crue
8th Dec 2010, 06:21
I bought one from etisalat. cost dhs 30 with my old no. on it. was activated in less than 1 hour. no dramas for once.

TwinAisle
8th Dec 2010, 08:10
Same experience as Motley, just with du. Took in my full sized card, paid them 30AED, got small card. Wasn't asked for a letter from my company.

That was in the MotE at the du place by Carrefour.

TA

Guy D'ageradar
8th Dec 2010, 10:35
Most electronic stores (Jacky's, jumbo etc) have a cutter that will trim your existing card.

Ditto for axiom - bought mine there and they use astapler like device to punch out the required portion of my old du card - works a treat.

repapips
8th Dec 2010, 11:14
yup, even small stalls that sell iphone accessories have this microsim cutter. Unfortunately they do charge for it.

I have friends who have this equipment who does it for free but they are not in the Middle East.

Private Pike
8th Dec 2010, 12:16
A330 Guy, and anyone else who can help, may I ask where you bought the phone? Was it a good deal?

repapips
8th Dec 2010, 15:43
"Download a micro SSIM template...

MicroSIM template.pdf

... and use a pair of sissors on your normal sized SSIM card. Works like a charm, the chip is the same."

I won't recommend this...A friend tried and damaged 6 SIM cards.
Unless you have an eternal supply of SIM cards...

The microSIM cutter works as what it was designed to do. You can even use the old frame when you have to use another "regular" phone that requires the "regular" SIM in it.

Guy D'ageradar
9th Dec 2010, 06:03
A330 Guy, and anyone else who can help, may I ask where you bought the phone? Was it a good deal?

I trudged all over town looking for one on a du deal last week - having already taken the contract and confirmed that I could get the discount applied some 2 months later.

Lots of places have them in stock unbundled for 4000 (16gb) or 4800 (32gb) but almost everyone is out of stock of the bundled ones. I found my 16gb at axiom in Mirdiff city centre - it was 2400dhs. Seems like a good deal to me.

ruserious
9th Dec 2010, 06:49
Apple store in Canada looks like the cheapest for factory unlocked iPhone 4's

TwinAisle
9th Dec 2010, 11:39
Must have just missed Guy D'..... :}

Same place and same price. BTW, you do know that buying a du or Etisalat one means that some of the functionality is switched off (like FaceTime)? Buying an unlocked one means you get all the toys.

It's linked to the serial number, so even if you unlock it, the next software upgrade means you lose the toys again, if you see what I mean.

TA

Guy D'ageradar
9th Dec 2010, 15:26
Not a problem as I wouldn't use them anyway.

Also correction, bought mine in Fono, not axiom. :ok:

syedo
9th Dec 2010, 15:52
got mine a week ago via Etihad promotion thingy. applied and waited for 2 weeks before they calledme for collection time. so far it works wonders, and yup, the FaceTime function are not there. but u can download this app from the store named TANGO. it offers free calls and FaceTime thru data package (3G) or wireless. of course the person that u wanna call must have Iphone 4 and TANGO app as well.:ok:

repapips
9th Dec 2010, 16:02
jailbreak is the answer to your question...

A330guy
12th Dec 2010, 06:43
thanks for all your helpful replies - went to Virgin in MOE - no charge - works like a dream

bought phone in Auckland - everything working fine