PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office 2010 For £10

KPax
7th Dec 2010, 08:33
Can anyone post a link for getting Microsoft Office 2010 for £10 for forces personnel.

Top Bunk Tester
7th Dec 2010, 08:53
Mmmm original link https://sabs.sbl.r.mil.uk not working from DII(F). Got a call in with them to check the site, their number for the SABS Helpdesk is 01347 812103. Will update when they come back to me.

Junglydaz
7th Dec 2010, 09:31
I believe that the Home Use Program has been "closed down". Happy to be corrected though.

Canary Boy
7th Dec 2010, 14:34
The Home User Programme is still available - £8.95 for the download version. The download is 650 Mb however! It can be ordered on CD for a few extra quid. Either way belting value. https://sabs.sbl.r.mil.uk. You must go in on a 'works' machine and then, obviously, furnish them with your home email for download at home.

rarelyathome
7th Dec 2010, 15:19
The original https://sabs.sbl.r.mil.uk/ link has just worked for me so DiiF obviously has the system back up and running. £8.95 for Office 2010 etc as a home user although only available as a download these days.

Sorry, post crossed with Canary Boy's.

Lukeafb1
7th Dec 2010, 15:19
Canary Boy,

Have you actually seen it and used it?? I had it right back (OK, August) when it was first released as a company offer at £11.50, I believe.

It has all the appearance of a school version (big graphics etc.). I could find very little which was new, except two additional animations in PowerPoint.

I liked it so much, that today I reverted back to Office Enterprise 2007!!

What the objective of this release is, I cannot imagine. It's definitely a retrograde step in my opinion. :(:(

Jumping_Jack
7th Dec 2010, 15:20
Nope....doesn't work on my Dii(F) machine. :sad:

vecvechookattack
7th Dec 2010, 18:06
It works on my Dii(F) machine....

£8.95 for the download + £9.00 for the DVD if you want it

Rigga
7th Dec 2010, 19:15
Due to two e-mail address in my company I managed to get Office 2010 Pro and the latest Visio, and Disks, both for under £40 - Bargain!

Beware - it can be a bit of a palarva getting specific programme (Visio, Project, et al) downloads as you need to be sent another link.

Canary Boy
10th Dec 2010, 13:54
Luke,

I've used it and think that it is a minor improvement over 2007. Still trying to get used to some of the 'new' features in 2003 though...:(

Saint-Ex
10th Dec 2010, 15:41
Have you tried Open Office, it`s free!

TMK1
10th Dec 2010, 15:45
I enquired about Office for Mac 2011 and it should be replacing the 2008 version on the Home Use Site in the next few days.

The Equivocator
10th Dec 2010, 21:59
This is a very unusual MOD related bargain...I downloaded a copy of the absolute latest copy of Office for Mac 11 today for the princely sum of £8.95!

I registered on Weds, the email arrived at my home account today (Fri) and I now have a fully functioning copy of Mac 11 which would have cost £239 on the Apple website. Granted, you can probably find it cheaper than £239 and it's a big download (850+mb) but nonetheless is a massive bargain.

Oh, and two licenses as well. BZ to those who sorted this out on behalf of MOD.

monkeymanagement
10th Dec 2010, 23:27
Don't know if anyone can help re the small print? I'm over the pond and if I install govt sponsored software on my home PC/Mac then there is a clause that technically makes my personal computers a govt asset; subject to the same scrutiny as any 'on-base' machine. Is there anything that suggests govt supported software in the UK could do the same?

Easy Street
11th Dec 2010, 03:43
monkeymanagement,

That's just supplying ideas for some CIS geek on a career push!! Don't go asking questions you (we) might not like the answer to...

Sent from my "RESTRICTED" laptop

howiehowie93
11th Dec 2010, 06:48
Not 100% compatible with MS Office - even with my limited Office use, I have found that OpenOffice and MS Office aren't 100% compatible. If it's not completely compatible with the industry standard and the software you use at work, whats the point in using it?a bit of a mischievous post from me :p : but it's the M$ Flavour of office that isn't up to the industry standard of odf. Because loads of countries & companies wouldn't bow down to M$ about this they threw out all the teds and didn't make their latest product read .odf type documents. There are plenty of documented instances of strong arguments against M$ when the issue was debated in the ISO:

IBM responds to Microsoft: OOXML is "technically inferior" (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2008/02/ibm-responds-to-microsoft-ooxml-is-technically-inferior.ars)

Welcome to the Open Document Alliance European Action Group — ODF Alliance - European Action Group (http://www.odf-eag.eu/)
You can tweak OO.o to save word documents in the .doc format that M$ Office can read in the settings.

On the other hand nothing does databases as well as Access does that I've tried.

I think I have too much free time on my hands :rolleyes:

regards
H:\wie

Lukeafb1
14th Dec 2010, 12:40
Canary Boy,

I agree with your assessment. When I first got 2007 (typically, without a manual) it actually took me about a day to find where the 'Print' button was. If anyone has that problem, click on the glossy logo in the top right hand corner of the page and a lot more buttons will be revealed.

Rather like in PowerPoint (2007), it is only when you click, for instance on a drawn line, that a load more buttons appear on the top line. However, when you get used to it, its a huge step forward from Office 2003.

unclenelli
19th Dec 2010, 14:18
I just got the download (awaiting the DVD backup) for £19.30 total.

It's a bargain wherever you stand.