PDA

View Full Version : Smoke filled 146 last Wednesday night

Michael111
23rd Apr 2001, 16:13
Any more information on this incident:

A work colleague was returning from LGW to JER when after about 10mins the cabin filled with smoke. The cabin crew appeared wearing smoke hoods and started to give passengers cloths soaked with water to breathe through. A rapid decent was made and the landing back at Gatwick was met with several fire appliances. Very few announcements were made other then to state that there was a problem with an engine. All passengers were put up overnight and rebooked on flights the following day.

does anyone else know about this event?

Thanks

Michael

Red Spitfire Driver
24th Apr 2001, 19:55
Hi - I was working TC Sw last week when the 146 returned. Called a Pan on HRN sector with problem on number 3. Position just east of SAM. Completed a left turn to run along the coast towards GWC. Spare freq opened up for a/c, came over descending. Once below FL100 crew removed oxygen masks - then ATC could understand what was being said !!
Other i/b to KK put in hold to allow priority, handed to KK apc with no delay (of course).
Could this be a coincidence but that evening the Radio news reported the problems with 146's and oil in the air conditioning - sick crew etc - I thought they were talking about the incident earlier that day (silly me)..

Michael111
25th Apr 2001, 13:37
Thanks for the Info - it sounds that things may have been less dramatic then my colleague thought

Michael