PDA

View Full Version : RV6/7 Hire In Auckland

notaplanegeek
5th Dec 2010, 05:37
Anyone? just for some fun. What sort of hourly rate are they priced at?

thanks

RV6
5th Dec 2010, 06:00
Amateur built aircraft are not normally available for commercial hire. It's not legal in Oz, but may be the rules are different in NZ?

Your best bet would be to befriend an owner and get them to take you for a fly on a cost sharing basis.

notaplanegeek
6th Dec 2010, 03:29
I meant taking it for a spin myself, privately....

VH-XXX
6th Dec 2010, 04:35
You can't do that legally, in any country, because as mentioned it is a home-built experimental aircraft.

Your best bet is to get friendly with someone who has one and take it from there. (sounds like dating advice ;))

27/09
6th Dec 2010, 06:18
You can't do that legally, in any country, because as mentioned it is a home-built experimental aircraft

Really, are you sure about that.

VH-XXX
6th Dec 2010, 07:04
I'll clarify. Asiapac. Experimental doesn't equal Hire & Reward.

notaplanegeek
6th Dec 2010, 08:33
You can't do that legally, in any country, because as mentioned it is a home-built experimental aircraft.

Your best bet is to get friendly with someone who has one and take it from there. (sounds like dating advice )

that depends on how friendly I need to get lol

Arnold E
6th Dec 2010, 10:18
Rv's dont HAVE to be in the Experimental category

27/09
6th Dec 2010, 20:24
VH-XXX
I'll clarify. Asiapac.

I think you're still wrong. There's nothing stopping an aero club or flying school in NZ from having an aircraft like an RV on line for their members to hire. This type of use isn't classified as hire and reward over here. Having said that I'm not sure that there are any RV's on line over here anyway.

VH-XXX
6th Dec 2010, 21:04
By all means do go ahead and rent out your experimental aircraft to club members.

I would hate to be a member of such club when a wing fell off because Barry Smith the local carpet layer forgot to tighten a bolt when the wing went on.

RV6
7th Dec 2010, 03:53
I meant taking it for a spin myself, privately....

That should be fine as a private arrangement with an RV owner. Check the insurance situation - has the owner nominated you on the policy, are you covered for third party damage? If you force land in a paddock and the subsequent fire burns down a crop or a machine shed, how do you stand?

It's no different from borrowing a certified aircraft really - just that with an Amateur Built Aircraft Acceptance or Experimental category aircraft, the insurance company might use the fact that you are 'hiring' the aircraft to weasel out of a payout. Borrowing, without payment, would be legal I think.

And if your'e going to take it for a spin, remember Vans recommends no more than 2 turns in the 6 :)

27/09
7th Dec 2010, 08:49
I would hate to be a member of such club when a wing fell off because Barry Smith the local carpet layer forgot to tighten a bolt when the wing went on.

I know Barry very well, he's not a carpet layer by the way, and he was quite insulted by your comments. ;)

Seriously though you are showing a degree of ignorance about amateur built aircraft when you make such a statement. Have you ever had anything to do with amateur built aircraft? Generally built to a much higher standard than your factory aircraft. As well as the usually fastidious owner/builder there is someone else appointed to inspect each stage of the construction, (well here in NZ at least). I can't recall a time there was an accident due to faulty workmanship during the build of an amateur built aircraft.

VH-XXX
7th Dec 2010, 10:41
Have you ever had anything to do with amateur built aircraft?

Have built and operated Amateur Built Exerimental Aircraft for 7 years.

Generally built to a much higher standard than your factory aircraft.

Think again.

As well as the usually fastidious owner/builder there is someone else appointed to inspect each stage of the construction, (well here in NZ at least).

Not in Aus. No inspections required as such, just a final signoff, but not an inspection in the true sense.

I can't recall a time there was an accident due to faulty workmanship during the build of an amateur built aircraft.

There's been a few over here, but generally poor maintenance and engine related.

Just look at RA-Aus, there's many an accident with their home-builts due to any number of maintenance and build issues.

superdimona
7th Dec 2010, 11:14
Just look at RA-Aus, there's many an accident with their home-builts due to any number of maintenance and build issues.

Three examples, please.

Jack Ranga
7th Dec 2010, 11:26
He could probably give ya 10 to start?

VH-XXX
7th Dec 2010, 11:27
Start another relevant thread and I'll happily participate.

For starters just read their monthly magazine.

27/09
7th Dec 2010, 20:25
VH-XXX

Obviously things are very differernt in Oz compared to here in NZ wrt amateur built aircraft. Hence our differing points of view.

Consider the following when reading my earlier posts.

The thread originator was asking a question about hiring an RV6/7 in New Zealand.

You posted You can't do that legally, in any country and then subsequently posted I'll clarify. Asiapac.

Last time I looked Australia wasn't the world or Asia Pacific.

Your replies were not providing accurate info for the person asking the question, hence my posts. I'll happily accept that in Australia that amateur built aircraft are not accepable for hireage at a club due to their experimantal status, hopefull you will also accept that things are different here in New Zealand.

VH-XXX
7th Dec 2010, 21:03
Based on the original poster having Australian origins asking for info about taking an RV for a spin for a bit of fun in Auckland, I assumed he is not likely to go to NZ and join a club or syndicate so my comments were entirely relevant.

There are good and bad experimental aircraft everywhere in the world and there are ways around hiring an experimental aircraft at your own risk.

27/09
7th Dec 2010, 21:22
I assumed he is not likely to go to NZ and join a club or syndicate so my comments were entirely relevant

Why would you assume this? I don't know about Oz but most clubs here have mechanisms to allow for ad-hoc visitor hireage. It's not that difficult for someone in notaplanegeeks position to hire an aircraft at a club here, providing that person is appropriately licensed.

Once again you have made assumptions which are not based on fact. :ugh:

VH-XXX
7th Dec 2010, 22:19
Get a life.

The posters profile says Australia and his posts revolve around Australian topics. It was a fair assumption.

Anyone would think that being so arrogant you are friends with Ian Baker. I believe he has an NZ forum so I think you should go and subscribe to that, you will get on well. Whilst you'd there make a contribution so he can buy his kids Christmas presents.

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Dec 2010, 22:46
Anyone would think that being so arrogant you are friends with Ian Baker. I believe he has an NZ forum so I think you should go and subscribe to that, you will get on well.

Haha!

Yeah, tell him Rogered Ramjet says, "Hi"!

They are good mates from way back.

Dr :8

VH-XXX
7th Dec 2010, 23:40
Don't laugh, he has raised $1500 in two days on his forum in donations for his kids Christmas presents.

BronteExperimental
8th Dec 2010, 01:26
On the other side of the coin...

In addition to the questionable insurance standpoint, I aint letting nobody near my -7 except me.

Suspect that many owner-builders would be the same.

BE

notaplanegeek
8th Dec 2010, 02:10
Hey settle down kids its only an online forum....

Based on the original poster having Australian origins asking for info about taking an RV for a spin for a bit of fun in Auckland, I assumed he is not likely to go to NZ and join a club or syndicate so my comments were entirely relevant.

There are good and bad experimental aircraft everywhere in the world and there are ways around hiring an experimental aircraft at your own risk

Do you know of a syndicate? I would be interested, I just need some more info...

Jabawocky
8th Dec 2010, 05:00
On the other side of the coin...

In addition to the questionable insurance standpoint, I aint letting nobody near my -7 except me.

Suspect that many owner-builders would be the same.

BE

Awwww I dunno about that, some of the ppruners like Forkie actually enjoy polling around in the Retard Vehicle -10, and so far FTDK, Chimbu Chuck, Chimbu Warrior, Pyro and a few others have had a go and I was never stressed. :)

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Dec 2010, 06:49
Awwww I dunno about that, some of the ppruners like Forkie actually enjoy polling around in the Retard Vehicle -10, and so far FTDK, Chimbu Chuck, Chimbu Warrior, Pyro and a few others have had a go and I was never stressed. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

I am working my way down through the Retard Vehicles - mastered the 10 and the 9, now I am looking to play with an 8! :E

Andy_RR
8th Dec 2010, 08:11
I am working my way down through the Retard Vehicles - mastered the 10 and the 9, now I am looking to play with an 8! :E

Glad you asked. I'm looking for a hand with some rivets...

27/09
8th Dec 2010, 09:09
Do you know of a syndicate? I would be interested, I just need some more info...

Don't listen to one poster on here, he might be correct about what applies in Oz but he doesn't have his facts right about this side of the ditch.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, so far as I know there are none on line anywhere over here but there may well be a syndicate or owner who would be willing to let the right person fly their pride and joy. Take a look on the CAA website on this link.

CAA Aircraft Model Statistics (http://www.caa.govt.nz/Script/Air_Mod.asp)

It lists the number of aircraft of each type and if you click on the Type name it opens up a page with all the details of each aircraft of that type including ownership details. You may find someone who can help you. Good luck

27/09
8th Dec 2010, 09:25
VH

Thanks I've got a life. :ok:

Anyone would think that being so arrogant you are friends with Ian Baker. I believe he has an NZ forum so I think you should go and subscribe to that, you will get on well.

Oh, I don't know about being arrogant, but if that means correcting bad information, then, I guess you must be right.

Ian Baker? Never heard of the guy, have to wonder how you got to know about him though. Why should I bother with his forum, there's plenty of arrogant people here.

A good mate of mine told me once that you can always tell an Aussie, BUT, you cannot tell him very much. I never believed him, the Aussies I know are good blokes, perhaps he was thinking of you. :D

notaplanegeek
8th Dec 2010, 10:55
Don't listen to one poster on here, he might be correct about what applies in Oz but he doesn't have his facts right about this side of the ditch.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, so far as I know there are none on line anywhere over here but there may well be a syndicate or owner who would be willing to let the right person fly their pride and joy. Take a look on the CAA website on this link.

CAA Aircraft Model Statistics

It lists the number of aircraft of each type and if you click on the Type name it opens up a page with all the details of each aircraft of that type including ownership details. You may find someone who can help you. Good luck

Thanks mate thats what I was after! :ok: