PDA

View Full Version : C210 nose gear doors

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Dec 2010, 00:14
Interesting bit of footage on "No Leave, No Life" !

C210 flying around the Kimberley with the gear up and the nose gear doors open. I wonder what effect that has on its TAS ?

Dr :8

Waghi Warrior
5th Dec 2010, 03:14
Also saw that and wondered what was going on,the doors looked partially open from what I could recognise.

Lodown
5th Dec 2010, 04:56
It happens. Microswitch gets a little grease and dirt in and the doors stick open. Easy enough to fix in flight if the pilot notices it. It can be reported and the engineers can never get the situation to replicate itself, but clean the microswitch anyway. It might happen once and the dirt clears out and it never happens again - for a long time anyway. Might be the problem in this instance.

troppo
5th Dec 2010, 05:37
Dr,
A very pertinent question. In order to emulate the effect on TAS you should bolt the gear down on your Bo and call it a AA1 Yankee.
The honour of having the world's fastest Yankee or the world's slowest Bo is yours for the taking.
:e

Jabawocky
5th Dec 2010, 07:29
I think he should bolt the gear down and fabricate some some fairings for it just to be fair.

Then we will see the FTDK is not only a few knots off the Retard Vehicle pace, but maybe double digits also! :E:}

J:ok:

Rumour has it the Dr has been Retarding a bit of late......I wonder what the Townsville Refueller can tell us about that? ;)

Checkboard
5th Dec 2010, 22:18
Easy enough to fix in flight if the pilot notices it.
Sure - strap the yoke with the seatbelt, open the door and hang out - grabbing the strut if you're a bit of a woos - .... :eek:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Dec 2010, 00:20
Wot Strut...??? :*

PyroTek
6th Dec 2010, 02:34
Clearly the strut of a C210A-C210F :cool:

gutso-blundo
6th Dec 2010, 03:35
Ahahaa!

Why does it not surprise me, knowing which company those 210s are operated by...

Gear motor CBs are pulled after retraction to prevent motor overrun. After a while the system pressure slowly reduces and the gear doors open up, followed by the nose gear.

Problem is, when the micros are stuffed and the motor does run on, the maintenance solution is to berate the pilot for not pulling the CB...

Preventative maintenance? :ugh:

ozaggie
6th Dec 2010, 08:09
One would have thought they would have grown out of that by now. The one crowning glory I will take to my grave is not having to put up with.....arr bugga it, They would'nt have had me anyhoo

OA

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Dec 2010, 08:15
Its OK Pyro,

I used to fly those 'A's back in the mid 60's...didn't think there'd be too many left...

Cheers:ok:

PyroTek
6th Dec 2010, 12:46
Its OK Pyro,

I used to fly those 'A's back in the mid 60's...didn't think there'd be too many left...

Just being a sh!t :}
As you were :ok: