PDA

View Full Version : Suggested stop along the Great Ocean Road

gfunc
2nd Dec 2010, 23:53
Hi folks,

I'm just wondering if someone could recommend a suitable refuel/defuel/lunch stop along the great ocean road? I'm looking to take some friends from Moorabbin, round the Melbourne CBD and down to the twelve apostles and back in an Archer.

Look at the maps it seems that Warrnambool is a sensible choice, but I'm not sure what the facilities are for those in the back. Peterborough is nearer the sights, but I don't have the strip guide to hand so I don't know if it is long enough for a full Archer and my "amateur, but enthusiastic" skill level.

Any thoughts/recommendations gratefully accepted!

Cheers,

Gareth.

VH-XXX
3rd Dec 2010, 00:44
Apollo Bay.

UnderneathTheRadar
3rd Dec 2010, 01:42
Apollo Bay = no fuel (but unless you have heavy friends, you shouldn't need fuel for that trip)

Warnambool is a $20 taxi each way into town.

Peterborough is PPR

An alternative but slightly longer trip - go via Arrarat, down the middle of the Grampians to Warnambool, land for lunch/fuel and back via the GOR.

mcgrath50
3rd Dec 2010, 03:41
Portland has a stunning fish and chips place but is a bit further down the coast.

mdt001
3rd Dec 2010, 04:50
Apollo Bay. Stay at the Coastal Motel.

Checkboard
3rd Dec 2010, 08:31
Indeed Apollo Bay is the one to aim at - the last time I was there (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/360003-few-flying-stories.html#post4681662) I did some Summer joyrides from the strip. The strip was gravel on grass, and quite a steep gradient at one end, making it interesting without being particularly challenging. That was nearly 20 years ago, now though. :(

I also put the aircraft down in a farmer's field near the Apostles - but I wouldn't recommend that ;)

bentleg
3rd Dec 2010, 22:38
Warnambool is a $20 taxi each way into town

I found Warnambool excellent, although we stayed overnight, having come through from Lakes Entrance, with lunch at Tyabb. The W motel picked us up at the airport and ran us back there next morning. Excellent hotel and club food in the town.