2nd Dec 2010, 20:02
Was hoping for some advice on staying current as finding the first job is taking a little longer than expected. My IR & A320 rating run out this month and having not gained employment I'm still very tight for cash and considering delaying the renewal until at least after christmas. Can anyone advise if there are any issues with doing so or if the only drawback is not being current for applications?
3rd Dec 2010, 08:38
Really ?........so, no first job.....and presuming you paid for that Airbus rating without the offer of a job ??? if so, might be an idea to run and duck as your going to get slaughtered in here.
3rd Dec 2010, 14:04
"and presuming you paid for that Airbus rating without the offer of a job ??? if so, might be an idea to run and duck as your going to get slaughtered in here."
Indeed ^^. And on keeping the shiny ratings current... I'm not expert but i'd imagine its going to involve a hefty chunk of additional cash one way or another. Buying a rating when times are good is one thing, but SS for a rating with no offer of employment when the market is dire !?!
My first post here after beeing a long time reader.
Well, the guy might have had a job on hand but got screwed/dumped later in the process. Either way you are :mad:
Presuming you did not have a "sure deal":
Doing a TR a year ago without a job on hand seems ignorant. You gambled and lost. If I were you I would go out and take a loan of say 30.000 Euro. That should give you a valid rating and then buy some hours (3-500) which will surely put you on that green branch for ever ever after :ugh:
3rd Dec 2010, 17:10
With zero hours on type and possibly having done little or no flying in the past year you are not really going to be "current" whether your rating is lapsed or not-are you?
Personally I would hang fire with the renewal but others may advise otherwise. Having said that I wouldnt mention on my CV that it has lapsed. When (if) you ever get a sniff at a job, you can renew it.
Just my opinion:ok:
3rd Dec 2010, 17:37
Considering Xmas is only 3 weeks away you may aswell wait.
This post puts empahsis on the fact you must take all these things into consideration, whether it be your IR, Medical, Licence, SEP or Type Rating. These are all things that are a big financial committment, and you must budget to renew them when the time comes.
I am sure you know this already mate, but if this if your first type rating, you may want to consider getting into the sim for a little practice to get rid of any rust that has formed over the last year. The last thing you want is to pay for a sim and a TRE and not get through, only having to rent the sim again, get an instructor and have to do LPC again.
On saying that, if you were to land a job within the next 3 weeks, the company will put you through their own abbreviated course, along with the company LPC and OPC, therefore not having to put your hand in your pocket.
3rd Dec 2010, 22:57
With all that money pouring into P2F schemes, such pilots should instead club together and establish a fund to set up or purchase an airline and work for it. :ok: