PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rank

QuePee
30th Nov 2010, 20:02
I came across the attached photograph somewhere on the net (I hope I am not infringing any copyright) and the gentleman standing with his arms folded near the Valetta tail looks remarkably like my late father. To help try and clinch the identification I have studied the image very carefully but can not see any rank insignia. Can anyone on this forum put me out of my misery and identify his rank?.
The photo was taken I believe at RAF Khormaksar in the 1956-1958 era. He was based at RAF Eastleigh, Kenya during this period but spent quite a bit of time at Khormaksar.

Any help would be much appreciated.

QuePee
http://i55.tinypic.com/2e6gh8w.jpg

forget
1st Dec 2010, 12:09
I've enlarged the shot and changed the contrast. Can't be certain but the stripes are too big for corporal - so I'd say sergeant.

QuePee
6th Dec 2010, 13:23
Many thanks Forget for your observations. Sorry I have not responded earlier but I have been away on one of those dangerous flying contraptions.

Either you are much younger than me and consequently have better eyesight, or you have better software than I do. Try as I might I still cannot see anything.

If as you say he is a Sergeant, then obviously I have the wrong guy. My father was a Warrannt Officer at that time.

Many thanks

QuePee

Cornish Jack
6th Dec 2010, 15:24
Almost certainly a Warrant Officer - WO's tropical rank badges were usually brass on a leather wrist strap.
Photo not likely to be Khormaksar - was there '56-'58 and cannot recall even ONE Annie never mind two!!

forget
6th Dec 2010, 15:46
QuePee, I see stripes here - but I could be wrong. (I've deliberately left it thumb-nail) I wouldn't go for Warrant Officer as I don't ever recall seeing a WO wearing a beret - with or without KD. I know they could do but they seemed to prefer a proper hat. I don't ever recall a WO on the line either. :hmm:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/th_stripes.jpg?t=1291653533

l.garey
6th Dec 2010, 16:58
QP:
Your photo comes from one I posted on post #55 on
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/374714-raf-sharjah-3.html

We think it is Sharjah (or maybe Bahrain). See the correspondence in that thread.

Laurence

QuePee
6th Dec 2010, 20:26
Interesting comment re the Warrant Officer not wearing a beret. I ALWAYS remember my father wearing one as a WO. Pity he is not around to confirm.

As far as I can remember he always wore a WO badge on a wrist strap (either leather or cloth) and I do not remember any other indications of rank being worn when we were overseas.

The photo was sent to me from a friend back in the UK, not sure where he obtained it but it was definitely said to be Khormaksar between 1956-1958. I will of course bow to the superior knowledge on this site. If the majority think its Bahrein, or Sharjah then I will go with that.

Many thanks for the input so far.

QuePee

Blacksheep
7th Dec 2010, 07:44
WO Mon*gh*n at Changi ALWAYS wore his beret. Even indoors! Which is why he was known as "The Hat".

If it wasn't for his perpetual beret he'd probably have been known as "Baldy" ;)

PPRuNe Pop
7th Dec 2010, 20:12
QP, please adjust the size of the picture. It should be no more than 850x850. Bigger sizes spread the page laterally as your has done.

QuePee
8th Dec 2010, 12:47
My apologies, I hope I have corrected it now.

Que Pee