PDA

View Full Version : Basra here we come

sheikhmahandy
29th Nov 2010, 10:05
With little regard for his own personal safety, the boss has announced the launching of Basra as a new destination starting in Feb 2011.:mad:

The A330 boys to launch thank goodness.:mad:

oops......shouldn't mention the word launch talking about that airspace!!!:ugh:

Chewthecrude
29th Nov 2010, 11:09
Interesting to see the write up of the man at the top. Never seen him write something about anywhere else on start up...

Obviously weapons will be drawn from the armoury before departure after extensive training by the UAE special farces.

Walk arounds will become a thing of the past.

Maybe it's just a quicker way of retiring the fleet? Do the insurgents have ground to air missiles?

Go for it Airbus!

The Zohan
29th Nov 2010, 11:13
from the man at the top:

The city has also started developing plans to attract inbound tourism.
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

tz

emiratesson
29th Nov 2010, 11:24
Which Airline are you talking about? :confused::confused::confused:

777boyindubai
29th Nov 2010, 12:35
EK, son! :E

loc22550
29th Nov 2010, 13:00
Guys..forget about your high visibility jacket for the walk around..:E

flyzede
29th Nov 2010, 13:48
Good Luck for all of you on Emirates! Maybe more than half of flights will be cancelled due to security reasons... and soon Emirates will forget that route.
I don't think an airline like Emirates would risk their pilots and aircrafts...

Saltaire
29th Nov 2010, 14:18
Before Take-off Checklist:

Cockpit door- Locked
Cabin- Secured
Emergency T code- Set
R Warning checklist- Avail
Safety goggles- ON
Body armour- Check
Exterior flares- Armed

To the line...

Mister Warning
29th Nov 2010, 14:35
Below the line :
TOGA................Set
Vmu...................Rotate
V.........................Alpha Max
Head...................Between Legs
Ass.....................Kiss goodbye

pool
29th Nov 2010, 15:34
I guess our beloved boss will emulate his counterpart at Qantas and will be personally be on board the first flight! To show the whole world that its absolutely safe. :}

Leito
29th Nov 2010, 16:09
I could easily think of a few others going on that first flight :E :E :E

sandfrog
29th Nov 2010, 16:51
and last flight:cool:

helen-damnation
29th Nov 2010, 20:13
V1 is pushback in Basra :}

oz in dxb
30th Nov 2010, 04:35
And our service to Baghdad is still on the backburners??????????

Voodoo 3
30th Nov 2010, 06:43
Don't forget that flydubai currently fly to Kabul on a daily basis. :eek:

Fancy a swap?

Oldwoman
30th Nov 2010, 19:23
We've been flying into Basra and Baghdad for the past couple of years and felt very little threat. The airport is modern with good facilities and there is still plenty of security. All round very low risk if any. EK has spent a lot of time researching the security issues....crew may feel they don't care but they can't really afford major risks logically.

TOUGHEN UP!! :rolleyes:

neville_nobody
1st Dec 2010, 00:12
Maybe they should make it a tactical arrival...

six7driver
1st Dec 2010, 03:54
the call for descent will be "EK 123 going tactical"...chaff chaff chaff, flare flare flare, chaff chaff chaff....

galactica
1st Dec 2010, 06:31
What are the stabilization criteria ?

Can we go beyond 30 deg bank when a RGP is fired at you ?

Vref plus 5 at 1500 feet , the bulls eye is the big red flag below the wing box .

I know guys who were flying to Basra and Baghdad on a chines L-1011. At 20000', 60 deg bank and here we go,

The biggest threat was to hit an unmanned flying vehicle

woodja51
1st Dec 2010, 10:52
Can anyone say if Basra is defined as a war zone ?? I have loss of life/licence insurance and it excludes this definition of coverage?

Not that it will affect me until it goes T7 but keen to find out limitations of war exclusion policy?

WJA

McGreaser
1st Dec 2010, 11:43
WJA ......maybe you could enlighten some of us mere mortals on what "war exclusion policy" is ? So you mean based on your loss of licence, you could refuse to do certain flights ? What rubbish if ever there was such a thing !

Some of the whining/b****ing on this forum from SOME EK pilots is ridiculous. We going to Basra, ....take it or leave it....yah l said it, now what ?:confused::confused: back to work :ok:

P.S we going to Geneva too.:)

filejw
1st Dec 2010, 12:29
McG. Many if not most normal life insurance policies exclude being killed in a war zone.:rolleyes: The policy holder would need to get a special rider to be covered in a war zone.

777boyo
1st Dec 2010, 13:36
380-800

Just for the record, it was a DHL A300 that took the Stinger. The 757 went down in southern Germany after a tragic midair. And I believe the missile incident was in Baghdad, but am open to correction on that. Whatever, BAe wings came out of it with much credit......

Oldwoman
1st Dec 2010, 20:42
Having flown into Basra around 25 times this year without a hint of an incident, I can say that EK is not risking a 'war zone'. If that were the case, I believe you would all be flying to Kabul, Kandahar and beyond by now.

emiratesson
1st Dec 2010, 21:23
thanks 777boyindubai :E

IRAQIFAlCOn
2nd Dec 2010, 20:14
Recently most of the Airlines started to open routes to Iraq . they are making a crazy money as they are pretending like they pay for Issurance .

exoticas aburrido
3rd Dec 2010, 00:31
I used to operate for DHL in the early days. We pulled out of Basra due security issues - it was a hotbed of insurgency with daily mortars over the fence.

These days I imagine things have changed. EK cannot afford the publicity of taking a hit. They will have done their homework.

vianostra
3rd Dec 2010, 13:22
Maybe worth checking your aviation insurer. See if Iraq and Afghanistan are still on the latest list for the LSW 617F KILN Geographic Areas Exclusion Zone.

Do you guys in EK, EY, FZ etc. get a war zone landing allowance for flight deck and cabin crew operating into these zones? If it is good enough for an additional premium on the hull and pax, then should not the crew be additionally compensated?

Antman
10th Dec 2010, 08:44
US warplanes bomb central Iraq
Military-world.net

December 9, 2010

US fighter jets have reportedly pounded a region in Iraq's central governorate of Babil months after Washington declared an end to combat operations in Iraq late August.

Iraqi security sources said that on Monday, US warplanes shelled a region lying north of the provincial capital of Hilla, Aswat al-Iraq news agency reported.

"A number of US jets pounded this afternoon al-Buhayrat region, al-Askandariya district," said a security official, noting that Iraqi authorities had not been informed about the operation.

"The attack could [have] targeted some armed cells in the region," he added.

It was not clear if the airstrike had left any casualties.

The US involvement in a military operation comes despite the expiry of the mandate of US combat troops in war-torn Iraq at the end of August.

Upon the expiry, Washington withdrew its troops from the Iraqi soil after seven years of military presence in the country, but left some 50,000 US troops for what it calls "training and advising" purposes.

The Monday airstrike is not the first time the US forces have engaged in a military operation in Iraq after the August expiry.

On September 6, US troops engaged in a gun battle in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, opening fire on suspected militants, who were believed to have entered an Iraqi military complex in the center of the capital city.

More than 12 people were killed and dozens more left injured during the attack.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

woodja51
10th Dec 2010, 15:53
McG... not sure if your comments directed at me but was a simple question about war zone definition that I was after...?? If you are unable to read a basic insurance policy that has these exclusions in it how do you get thru the OMA?

thanks to the other posters about insurance issues... my point was to clarify what the insurers define as excluded zones... and yes... we are going to Geneva too... but I know that is not a war zone... for over 500 years I think...

WJA..

paperdragon
10th Dec 2010, 20:21
No worries mates, Basra is not a war zone, nor would I like to night stop there, but I do have been operating in and out of there during 09-10.. :}

EladElap
11th Dec 2010, 12:56
Good luck guys... having flown into Baghdad, Basra, and now currently Kabul, I can tell you Basra in my opinion is the least safe of those three.

4 months back I was on the apron in Basra, when 3 mortars landed between the apron and the taxiway. One not more than 100m from us and the aircraft.

Find it interesting that EK has shelved ORBI, would think there is a big market there.

MumbaiRadio
17th Dec 2010, 20:05
Apparently EK is ready to launch to Basra where up until 2 months ago mortar shelling was taking place inside the airport perimeter.
Besides the obvious EVITA 2 when i'll see one of these on my roster does anybody know if our standard insurance (personal accident etc..)coverage will be effective flying to those places?
thanks

CAYNINE
18th Dec 2010, 10:22
Pity the poor buggers on Reserve.....BSR,BSR,BSR