PDA

View Full Version : Happening at Cessnock

boardpig
26th Nov 2010, 00:48
Went for a jolly up to YCNK the other day and a few things ocurred I thought I'd share.
There I was happily decending towards the field on what was a cracking weather day. I’d been on the ctaf feq for 10 miles or so and had given the obligatory “I’m on my way, I’ll be there at xx “call. There was on other station on freq and he was lining up on 35 and rolling. I joined up wind, turned cross, then downwind. At or around the half way point on downwind, out of nowhere I hear a radio transmission “xxx turning base runway 35 Cessknock”. I was immediately surprised by this and looked around to see an aircraft about a mile in front and about 5 miles out from the runway (ok not 5 miles but a seriously wide circuit, good job there was no engine failure). I had heard nothing from this aircraft AT ALL since being 10 miles out. I took action to slow down and get in behind him then asked why he had not announced his position before now…no answer. Luckily he was for a touch and go and I was full stop, there would have been words I reckon. As I’m rolling out I hear another station (with a similarly identifiable accent) saying he was making a straight in approach to 35. Correct me if I’m wrong here but one look at the ERSA shows that straight in’s are not permitted??
I seriously wonder who is training these guys and who lets them out on their own.
Yes I know we all have to learn but this seems below a certain level.

FokkerInYour12
26th Nov 2010, 01:00
Either: Vent here anonymously without identifying the aircraft and hope someone knows who you are talking about

or: Contact aircraft operator/registered owner.

boardpig
26th Nov 2010, 01:21
I should be clear that I am referencing two different aircraft here not the same one, my point is not to identify them, but to make comment on what seems like a very worrying trend of very poor training standards.

In and around a busy CTAF is not the place for this kind of flying.

BP.

mcgrath50
26th Nov 2010, 01:39
Straight in approaches are allowed just not preferred or even recommended.

boardpig
26th Nov 2010, 01:43
under local traffic regulations.

4) straight-in approaches are not permitted.

BP

VH-XXX
26th Nov 2010, 01:47
Correct me if I’m wrong here but one look at the ERSA shows that straight in’s are not permitted??

Make it clear on the radio at the time.

Pilots are always learning new things. They may have "slipped up" on this occasion and missed the entry in ERSA; worse things have happened.

Give them a gentle spray on the radio and politely "suggest" that they re-think their intentions. Usually when you do that they head off to the ERSA wondering what the hell they have just done wrong.

Victa Bravo
26th Nov 2010, 01:52
This thread reminds me of January 2008 when I was sitting at YSCN waiting for weather to clear when 2 150's rocked up, on a solo nav exercise, from Coffs Harbour. As they pulled up I noticed, from a distance, something wedged in the gap of the rudder and tail fin. Upon closer inspection and just as the "pilots" were getting out of the plane I realized it was THE GUST LOCK!!!!

When I told them, all they gave me was a "no spreak engrish" look. They simply could not comprehend what I was telling them ……. I had to physically go and undo the lock myself to show them .....

And they thought it was funny!!!!!

You can teach these people until the cows come home but you cant make it sink in !!!!

boardpig
26th Nov 2010, 02:03
Yep, I get it, we all have to learn sometime.

I just get rather frustrated when I have friends etc on board and feel they are at greater risk because of these guys. Its almost like to you have to think for them.

I should also qualify I have on other occasions in the past, delayed my arrival at certain CTAF's when I hear these hour builders arriving. Their radio procedures and position calls are jaw droppping.

Ok, back in my box.... relaxing music... ahhhh feel better already.

BP.

Ando1Bar
26th Nov 2010, 02:41
Boardpig,

Know doubt you remember the regos - ring the flying school and let the CFI know. Often the flying instructor has know idea of what happens on these solo navs. It is common to hear back from students that the flight was perfect when in fact all kinds of things occurred along the way (they either lie or are oblivious to it all).

If it is a training problem the CFI can identify who is causing it and hopefully address it.

WannaBeBiggles
26th Nov 2010, 08:15
I think we've all had encounters with such pilots. I was out on a nav once and saw an aircraft arrive in the circuit (straight in) and depart after a touch and go, without as much as a radio call. Luckily I was well overhead the field!

Maybe the pilot was broadcasting on the wrong frequency, maybe they had a radio failure and didn't know it, but it sure the hell brought home the fact that you need to keep your whits about you in the circuit!
Many people (me included when I started flying) saw the circuit area as a relatively regimented and "secure" pattern that everyone flies with the same care as you, but that is not the case.

A "grey beard" once shared a great pearl with me, "people and equipment are falible, so best not assume anything, and you haven't stopped flying until the aircraft is tied down and you're on your first beer at the pub!"

PA39
26th Nov 2010, 08:45
Thank Christ you have not been trained like them!

High 6
26th Nov 2010, 17:37
It was out of Cessnock many years ago when a student was asked what his actions would be if he was lost during a solo nav exercise?

Answer - Do a 360 and go back! :\

SpyderPig
26th Nov 2010, 23:10
There is some interesting things going on in the circuit up at the 'nock. I was once with a friend in his plane on a weekend jaunt. Departed 35 following a warrior, made 700ft, turned x-wind climb and turn downwind at circuit height and continue to climb for departure. The warrior continued straight out. About to give departure call off down wind and said warrior comes on with "abc turns downwind 35" look out the side window, he's off our left wing, well outside what I would call normal circuit spacing(a320 spacing at a guess) and rips by us. He must of been 200ft high and looked like he was going past us even if we were staying in the circuit. He continued to do circuits until we left the ctaf.

Glad I decided to do my training some place else :ok: Great place though, love the wine country :E

*EDIT* Not to throw more fuel on the fire, but I have also heard rumors of a certain school there having instructors accompanying students on "solo" navs.