PDA

View Full Version : Pilot drops in for coffee

Paul O'Rourke
25th Nov 2010, 19:46
From the Warrnambool 'Standard' newspaper (http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/chopper-drops-in-for-coffee/2008509.aspx)

http://www.standard.net.au/multimedia/images/full/1015624.jpg

A helicopter pilot who landed near Port Campbell faces a fine of more than $35,000 for satisfying his caffeine cravings.Port Campbell police Sergeant David Banks said a two-seater private helicopter landed near the Old Ocean Road at Sturgess Point, Port Campbell, just before 5pm Sunday.
He said the helicopter landed close to a parked camper van while other people were also walking around in the area.
The landing site was in a section of the Port Campbell National Park and the pilot had not sought permission to land. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority is also understood to be investigating the incident.
Port Campbell police interviewed the pilot on behalf of Parks Victoria at the landing site. Sergeant Banks said local residents were concerned when they saw the helicopter land that it was a Port Campbell helicopter operator who had to perform an emergency landing.
"It appeared that the pilot wanted a cup of coffee. He had to walk a couple of hundred metres and came back with a coffee and bag of chips," he said.
"CASA is contacting him about about what he's done wrong. They were more worried about him causing an accident," he said.
The Coldstream man, 39, faces a maximum fine of 300 penalty units or $35,769 for landing in a national park.
Parks Victoria Port Campbell ranger in charge Will Cox said it was an offence to land without authorisation in a national park.
We are working closely with police, it's a matter for police and we'll be talking to Port Campbell police over how far we take the matter," he said. "We're certainly not impressed with the pilot's behaviour and the message needs to get out that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated."
Had this situation taken place anywhere else I am sure no one would give a rats! Port Campbell is a hot bed of complaint from locals about the prolific helicopter flights that frequent the coastline within the Port Campbell / 12 Apostles area.

heliduck
25th Nov 2010, 20:49
If helicopters dropping in to public carparks for coffee & chips is indicative, I'm not surprised that "Port Campbell is a hot bed of complaint from locals".

hueyracer
25th Nov 2010, 21:05
There seems to be a big difference between a PPL-Pilot and a CPL-Pilot....

The CPL-Pilot never lands for a coffee break....
He is only performing a safety landing for taking a leak, THEN having a coffee, and then taking off again......:hmm::ok:

krypton_john
25th Nov 2010, 21:14
How dumb *was* that guy?

rotorboater
25th Nov 2010, 22:10
His chip light probably came on;)

darrenphughes
25th Nov 2010, 22:54
Clutch light came on for more than 7 seconds, and he happened across a coffee shop while he was waiting for his mechanic to call back!

Trojan1981
25th Nov 2010, 23:29
There seems to be a big difference between a PPL-Pilot and a CPL-Pilot....

The CPL-Pilot never lands for a coffee break....
He is only performing a safety landing for taking a leak, THEN having a coffee, and then taking off again......

Exactly! Not hard is it? He obviously can't think on his feet.

burnable gomi
25th Nov 2010, 23:38
What is wrong with the western world today. Can't have any fun anymore!

Lama Bear
26th Nov 2010, 01:12
He should have had tea.

jackx123
26th Nov 2010, 01:33
I had sort of the same issue about 25 years ago when I landed on a temporarily closed airfield with a Cessna (some RC contest that happens once a year). Yes I was unlucky to nail that exact day of the year (0.27% chance) and yes I did not read the NOTAM.

However, somehow the oil pressure light had come on and I was "forced" to land at nearest suitable field.........

Nothing came of it except I got a letter from CAA asking the reason why and in the end concluded that I should take more caution. No fines and nothing else.:ok:

onetrack
26th Nov 2010, 01:58
I firmly believe this pilot should be severely reprimanded for commencing a flight with insufficient reserves of coffee and chips, to complete the journey... :suspect:

Ag-Rotor
26th Nov 2010, 02:32
If the pilot is a tax paying citezen then his name is on the land title.

perfrej
26th Nov 2010, 06:30
What a bummer! Is this a Brittish/German/Swiss thing? The way this is going, we will soon see ourselves in world of twins only, all operating under about one foot of paperwork per flight and at a minimum altitude of 3000 ft. Oh, and away from anything on two legs.

(author's comment: it is my belief that in the mentioned countries, regulation and enforcement are getting too strict. Just that ;))

RVDT
26th Nov 2010, 06:43
Had a similar circumstance in the more remote places of OZ.

Landed adjacent to the town to check on the fuel supplier. He told me it wasn't such a good idea as the local constabulary was not real keen on this sort of thing.

Relocated to the airport. 5 kms away. Local copper turns up. Have conversation over the fence. He is waiting for me to step out of the airport. I knew as well as he did that the airport is Federal and he was a State copper. Kind of let him know that.

I was in no hurry so just waited until he went away. Little nap under a tree til the re-fueler turned up then moved on.

GoodGrief
26th Nov 2010, 08:49
So, you can drive your big ass RV into a national park but you cannot land a helicopter?

This is only about some "authority" making money again.
I am beginning to worry about the human species.Nobody acts reasonable anymore.
Humans suck.

I know why I prefer solitude...

John Eacott
27th Nov 2010, 05:05
A little background to the area and the attitude of Parks Victoria may put this into context.

Parks Victoria have always had a 'no helicopter within Parks' policy, except when it suits them for their own use of course! This has extended over the years to a number of "Fly Neighbourly" policies being put in place around tourism areas such as the 12 Apostles, to have a voluntary code of operations within certain areas. These Fly Neighbourly routes and restrictions are published in ERSA, but remain strictly voluntary with no legality for enforcement.

Therein lies the rub: Parks cannot understand that they do not own the airspace and will use every subterfuge available to have overflights 'controlled' by themselves. To land within their hallowed turf without an approval signed by the Queen Mum would be a hanging offence, and they will undoubtedly chase this one to the ultimate conclusion :sad:

I will admit to many a run in with the local Ranger down there, the most stupid was when he could not/would not accept that me flying low level 2 miles out to sea was not only outside his park boundary, but none of his business. A day later one of the 12 Apostles fell down, and in the local newspaper report he blamed my low flying for the collapse :ooh: :rolleyes: :ugh:

topendtorque
27th Nov 2010, 12:56
A day later one of the 12 Apostles fell down, and in the local newspaper report he blamed my low flying for the collapse http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/icon25.gif :rolleyes: :ugh:

there's got to be a message there JE but danged if I can see it right now, but very nice to see one of the remaining eight apostles falling tonight, great stuff.

His chip light probably came onhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

not so sure there was any lights on by the sound of it.

extreme 500
27th Nov 2010, 17:05
A day later one of the 12 Apostles fell down, and in the local newspaper report he blamed my low flying for the collapse :rolleyes:

"In my defence your honour, that Judas Iscariot always falls down at the sight of flashing blades regardless of distance":D

RVDT
27th Nov 2010, 17:41
Speaking of them Apostles - seem to remember slinging a car onto one of them with a B205 moons ago for a TV commercial. Then the day was spent with a 206 filming it.

Probably out of that same car park the camper is in! How things change!
:D