PDA

View Full Version : Where This Industry Is Headed...

Sunfish
25th Nov 2010, 16:21
I am writing this in the hope that it will shed some light on the state of the aviation industry and the critical issues it faces for the benefit of the slightly wider community that might read Pprune, and to try and pull together several themes under one common heading.

Francis Fukuyama, despite the odd name, is a reasonably well respected American Conservative intellectual. His book - "Trust - the economic value of trust and cooperation" made a deep impression on me. Francis makes the case that economics views the value of trust and cooperation in societies as an "externality" - something with zero economic value. Fukuyama believes that is wrong, very wrong, the value is not zero because the levels of trust and cooperation within a society affect transaction costs - the costs associated with doing a business transaction, and if there is little or no trust the transaction costs increase dramatically, often to the point where no business can be done at all.

According to Fukuyama, countries are poor because of low levels of trust and cooperation in their societies, not because of any lack of natural resources, etc. He points to countries such as Japan and Britain which became prosperous without much natural resources and attributes it to the highly developed social values of trust and cooperation in their respective societies. Today one can easily point to countries that are dripping in oil, gold, diamonds and goodness knows what else treasure, but whose people live lives of absolute misery. Look at Nigeria as an example. People can achieve miracles if they work together, but they cannot work together without trusting each other. Greed is not good. It is poisonous to trust.

So what relevance is this to Aviation? Simple. The same argument regarding the value of trust and cooperation applies within industries and within companies, and most especially to aviation because, by its nature and our natural fear of falling, flying is about the highest trust activity most of us will encounter in our lives. We trust that whoever designed and built the aircraft knew what they were doing and were diligent to a fault. We trust that whoever maintained it and offered it to us as a conveyance did likewise. We trust the pilots are trained, intelligent and sober individuals, selected for aptitude, rested and fit for the journey ahead. We trust the air traffic controllers. We trust that a Government regulator overseas the industry for the avoidance of error and the promotion of safety. ...So we climb into an aluminium tube and put our life in the hands of all those people.

Still don't get it? The above is just the trust part. The transaction costs occur because if I can't be satisfied that each organisation is trustworthy and diligent, then I, as passenger or consumer, must take steps, and incur costs, to ensure that either they are trustable, or I go to another airline, or I don't fly at all. That is where the value of a reputation Like QF's is so important.

But the costs of not having sufficient trust and cooperation really start mounting up when I get inside the organisation because protecting your self from untrustworthy individuals and organisations takes time an effort, and money. Suppose the industry regulator is capricious, given to personal vendettas, unfair and unjust and armed with draconian powers, how much of your work time is spent not only on doing a job correctly, but ensuring the associated paperwork is proof against assault by the most assiduous nit pickers?

Suppose people in your workplace are promoted not for ability, but for their willingness to cut corners and lick backsides? Suppose people are fired for telling the truth? Will this have an effect on job performance? Of course it does! Ultimately it means that you will retain the people you really shouldn't want and lose the people you should want. Of course no manager would want to be in charge of an organisation that was operating like this would they? Unfortunately the answer is yes. There is a class of person for whom the exercise of dictatorial powers and the infliction of pain and suffering on others is highly enjoyable especially when they get bonuses for doing it, but this post is not about narcissists in management. We covered what they do, why they do it and how they infest some modern companies elsewhere.

So where is the industry as a whole going? The answer is backwards, certainly in Australia and probably internationally if recent revelations about the Indian subcontinent, the behaviour of the likes of Ryanair are anything to go by. Read the Colgan Buffalo crash cockpit transcript and weep. Two poor schmucks trying to make a dollar, and flying wasn't even their first career choice! Look at the current situation of Sunstate engineers - being docked four hours pay for being a little slow changing a tire! Look at the procession of cases sent to the AAT regarding CASA! Look at the air traffic control incident involving Emirates and Qantas and the perennial discussions about the difficulty of recruiting and training ATC staff! Look at criticism of Jetstars pilot cadet scheme.

Ah! You say, "but none of these incidents are related!" Of course they effing well are! They are all related to the practice of current management in many organisations of trying to get blood out of a stone and ignoring effects on corporate culture, let alone the feelings of the individual employees concerned, let alone the long term negative effects of their bastardry on the organisation. Airlines are fertile grounds for bastardry because they consist of the differing tribes of pilots engineers, cabin crew as well as office staff. There are almost infinite gradations in the various pecking orders caused by seniority, aircraft type, qualifications and suchlike, all held together by Twenty Four hour duty rosters that can be played like a violin by management intent on gratifying itself by causing misery. This is trust reducing behaviour and it is going to bite you.

Continue you current management behaviour Qantas, and you will go the way of Ansett. The RR/A380 thing was a bit of a surprise wasn't it? Let the regulator and ATC continue on their merry way as well and wait for the eventual Coroners Inquiry and Royal Commission, it's coming.

lostwingnut
25th Nov 2010, 21:07
Morning Sunfish,

I will have to look up Francis Fukuyamas book, sounds like an interesting read.

There are many great and trustworthy people in aviation. But like every other industry there is a fair share of nasty, untrustworthy people.

The difference is that in most other industries these people get weeded out, or forever trawl along at the bottom. In aviation however these people seem to have a very easy and quick path into management or even CASA. I bet that there is not a person out there who can't name at least two people that have 'made it' or ended up in CASA who are complete failures as decent trustworthy individuals.

The term 'corruption' is probably a bit strong here, but below is a fitting quote a mate from Zimbabwe recited a while ago:
"Corruption breeds more corruption. After a while the people will get used to and almost comfortable with corruption, and that in itself accelerates the breeding of even more corruption."

Untrustworthy people in management and CASA, will allow more untrustworthy people into system, like a cancer eventually spiralling out of control and killing the whole system.

Time for some serious cutting and radiation?

- Lost

waren9
25th Nov 2010, 21:46
The difference is that in most other industries these people get weeded out, or forever trawl along at the bottom. In aviation however these people seem to have a very easy and quick path into management or even CASA. I bet that there is not a person out there who can't name at least two people that have 'made it' or ended up in CASA who are complete failures as decent trustworthy individuals.

Reminds me of the old saying about politicians. Those who would be best at it are the very people who are not the slightest bit interested in being one.

At the risk of tarring some very good people with the same brush, to a certain extent this also applies to many in govt departments. Many end up there by virtue of the fact they havent succeeded elsewhere in the industry.

Sunfish
25th Nov 2010, 22:46
Lostwingnut, by "trust" I don't mean that people are taking illegal actions, far from it.

The trouble is that they take inhuman actions because they lack the ability to empathise with other human beings.

The people I mean are the sort that can fire a hundred people and still sleep well that night.

The people that can take "policy" decisions that destroy the careers of hundreds who trusted them.

The people who can stand down 6 LAMES or dock others Four hours pay, or a fire a pilot for talking to the media about safety. We all know a bit of biffo is allowed in industrial disputes, but it is difficult in those situations to explain the actions of management as anything other than vicious.

4Greens
26th Nov 2010, 08:44
Airlines whole end purpose, as in all publicly listed companies, is to make money for their shareholders. Achieving safety in the aviation industry ultimately resides with an efficient and effective regulating system.

Worrals in the wilds
26th Nov 2010, 10:24
Thanks for the book recommendation.

The problem with trust is that the modern bean counter philosophers can't assign a balance sheet value to it so they largely ignore it. Unfortunately for them, just because you can't define a thing quantitatively doesn't mean it that it doesn't exist. Trust exists; it has a value, as does reputation, but like the square root of -1 it doesn't have a number-line definition. However, like the square root of -1 it becomes surprisingly important when you're looking for an explanation, even if you can't say exactly what its value is. The reason trust has a value is because it generates sales and repeat business, even if in the short term it costs money to retain.

It is often said that publically listed companies exist to maximise shareholder value, and for the most part it is true. What is not so often said is that they generally do that by generating sales. For all their pomp and ceremony, most modern publically listed companies (and certainly all airlines) sell a product. If people do not trust that product's reliability, safety or ability to deliver they will choose another similarly priced product that satisfies those criteria. Toyota and many car companies learned this the hard way when their product failed to perform, caught fire or stopped dead at 100 kmph.

Running an airline is fundamentally no posher than running a pie van, where the punters quickly learn whether your pies are safe and good value for money. Unlike the pie van owner, you might get entry to the Australian club if you run an airline, you might be a chap, but the same merchant rules apply. If your product gets a reputation for being dodgy the punters won't buy it, and all your balance sheet tarot skills won't address the downturn in sales when they turn to a product they 'trust'.

Qantas have traded on trust, reliability and safety. They don't seem to realise that those seemingly ephemeral qualities are earned and need to be maintained, and that if they don't cop the apparently high cost practices that guarantee those things their product's value will decrease accordingly. They have also traded on blatant Aussie nationalism, but that is starting to wear thin now their overseas outsourcing has become obvious. While outsourcing may not necessarily have a negative effect on actual performance, it certainly has a negative impact on the 'We're Australian' propaganda they've successfully used for many decades. The obvious retort is 'no you aren't, and why should I trust you any more than a reliable foreign carrier?'

Goose - Golden (Homegrown Aussie Safe) Egg = Trouble + (EK/SQ/CX/MH sales) :E. Pretty linear, really.

Sunfish
26th Nov 2010, 19:42
Spot on Worrals.

The possibility of catastrophic failure, say dropping a fully loaded Airbus A 380 in the heart of Sydney or London during working hours is vanishingly small but it is not zero.

I know this for a fact because I have a friend who is a "Name" at Lloyds who tells me that it is exactly this tiny probability, multiplied by the multi billion dollar cost of such a disaster, that establishes the insurance premium for such aircraft.

The trouble with management is that they regard it as a safe bet that they would be unlucky enough for this once in a blue moon event to happen during their tenure. This is why Feyneman wrote his famous appendix to the report of the Shuttle crash.

Feynman's Personal Observations On The Reliability Of The Space Shuttle (http://www.fotuva.org/feynman/challenger-appendix.html)

What concerns me is the certainty that a manager in an airline somewhere is having to decide about taking a safety related action that he knows is right but that will reduce his bonus or possibly result in his firing, or going with the flow.

Recent actions involving the stand down of engineers and the firing of a pilot send a strong message that going with the flow is entirely legal and will be rewarded.

This attitude is why I left Exxon after an Eighteen month stint as an engineer. I realised that their so called "safety culture" was a sham. The rules and regulations for running an oil terminal and truck fleet were voluminous, comprehensive and intelligent. The only trouble was that I did not have the budget to follow them, I didn't have the manpower to execute them, and the reality was that I was expected to do what I could and hope to Christ nothing happened on my watch since I would be promoted to my next job every Two years and then it would be some other poor schmucks problem.

My decision was vindicated many year s later when Exxons Longford gas terminal blew up. What did Exxon immediately do? Blame both the living and the dead operators for failing to follow company procedures! It took a Royal Commission to cut through Exxons web of deceit.

To put it another way, suppose a crazed lunatic manages to force their way into an aircraft cockpit in flight, thanks to a dodgy cockpit door lock that was known to be dodgy? Exactly who will wear that one in a CASA investigation? You guessed it! The LAME who did the general inspection!

Perhaps what shareholders might like to think about is what happened to Arthur Andersen, the auditors of Enron when it collapsed. Once it was established that Arthur Andersen audit partners had been less than diligent, the once proud audit partnership vanished overnight.

Jabiman
27th Nov 2010, 03:45
How the Mighty Fall is the title of a management thinking book by Jim Collins. Here he describes why leading companies manage to blow their competitive advantage. The five stages in a nut shell:

Hubris born of success
Undisciplined pursuit of more
Denial of risk and peril
Grasping for salvation
Capitulation to irrelevance or death

Fubar_x
28th Nov 2010, 10:43
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/bve0103l.jpg