PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pilots - Eyesight Requirements

Warmtoast
23rd Nov 2010, 22:10
I was intrigued to see the pictures in the week-end press of Prince William wearing glasses as he attended a football mach at Blackpool, which made me think “What are the eyesight requirements for new pilots when they join the R.A.F.?”
Many years ago when I was an airman, pilots didn’t wear glasses, so have standards been relaxed for today’s aircrew?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/PrinceWilliamwithglasses_557x768.jpg

Willard Whyte
23rd Nov 2010, 22:57
I know many speccy tw*ts who are trusted to fly HM aeryplanes.

Doesn't make 'em bad people. So I'm told.

More worried about the 'Bill Gates' look.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Nov 2010, 23:10
Many years ago when I was an airman, pilots didn’t wear glasses

They must have been very young or you were not that observant.

so have standards been relaxed for today’s aircrew?

Yes

But not for wannabee aircrew.

Jimmy Macintosh
23rd Nov 2010, 23:19
As I recall when I went through my medical, once you're in and your eyes start to deteriorate then they'll let you wear glasses to ensure they keep their investment. If your eyes a below spec you don't get in.

Much like the CAA class 1, first time the requirements are more stringent than renewels.

Pontius Navigator
24th Nov 2010, 07:17
Saved having to visit the Med Centre the day before the medical to mug up on the eye chart. The hearing test was something else though. Med Tech would gentle rub your ear with her finger while whispering in your ear.

Very scientific; oddly I don't ever recall a male technician trying it :)

beamer
24th Nov 2010, 07:47
I knew two truckie pilots who due to accidents/illness only had one eye - they were still flying but not together !

BEagle
24th Nov 2010, 07:55
Of more concern is that HRH was attending a kevball match....:eek:

orgASMic
24th Nov 2010, 08:10
The FA enjoys Flt Lt Wales' patronage in an official capacity. Just doing his royal duty; I doubt he enjoyed the experience.

Trim Stab
24th Nov 2010, 13:03
I knew two truckie pilots who due to accidents/illness only had one eye

Presumably "each" rather than "between them"?

Even if they had one good eye apiece, judging the flare for landings must have been difficult. But then maybe not so important on a Herc...